Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2022, 05:38 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Looks like Ozempic is back in the news for weight loss:

Elon Musk's weight loss, Ozempic, Wegovy and what to know about the new TikTok viral treatment

Quote:
The diabetic drug Ozempic recently vaulted into the public interest. Searches for #Ozempic have generated more than 350 million views on TikTok – not for the drug's ability to moderate insulin in diabetics, but because of the once-weekly injection's notable side effect: weight loss.

Ozempic is the brand name of semaglutide, just one of many in a drug class known as incretins. A higher dose of semaglutide, Wegovy, also started trending when Tesla founder Elon Musk said the once-weekly injectable was his secret weapon for looking “fit, ripped, and healthy.”

This has created an unfortunate dichotomy. The well-off can afford the $1,200 to $1,500 per month price tag of Ozempic and get it legally prescribed off-label from their doctor. They can then use it to treat their obesity or as a quick-fix slimming agent, as popularized by celebrities. But this practice is not without consequence.

Due to high demand – no doubt catalyzed by TikTok trends like #MyOzempicJourney – some pharmacies are reporting the injectable unit is on back-order through December, potentially threatening the supply for diabetics who depend on it for blood sugar control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2022, 06:39 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
What are the possible side effects of Ozempic®?
inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis). ...
changes in vision. ...
low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). ...
kidney problems (kidney failure). ...
serious allergic reactions. ...
gallbladder problems.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:13 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
What are the possible side effects of Ozempic®?
inflammation of your pancreas (pancreatitis). ...
changes in vision. ...
low blood sugar (hypoglycemia). ...
kidney problems (kidney failure). ...
serious allergic reactions. ...
gallbladder problems.
I guess some people are willing to take those risks, in order to lose weight without having to exercise?

Old 10-22-2022, 07:21 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I guess some people are willing to take those risks, in order to lose weight without having to exercise?
It is a misconception that the way to lose weight is via exercise.

For most, 80% of calories burned per day are the result of existing.

Caloric intake, and sugar management are more important to weight loss than you can imagine.

I have lost over 100 lbs and kept it off, without any exercise by moderating my caloric intake and sugar intake.

FAT helps, as does meat. These help reduce food craving. Avoiding sugar or alcohol is also important where possible.

Old 10-23-2022, 09:57 AM

310 posts, read 322,896 times
If Ozempic was $10 a shot and widely available most of the population would be taking it. We, collectively, are always looking for an easy way to lose weight that is why weight loss gimmicks and fad diets are so popular.
As far as side effects go, back when when fen-phen was a thing people were happy to take the risks in order to lose weight.

Old 10-23-2022, 11:00 AM

1,708 posts, read 1,098,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
If Ozempic was $10 a shot and widely available most of the population would be taking it. We, collectively, are always looking for an easy way to lose weight that is why weight loss gimmicks and fad diets are so popular.
As far as side effects go, back when when fen-phen was a thing people were happy to take the risks in order to lose weight.
IIRC fen-phen is or was (haven't checked recently) available in many western countries.

A problem in the U.S. is the mentality if one is good, 10 are ten times better. Abuse of fen-phen was likely the cause of it's removal. The same will be true for any inexpensive weight loss medication.

As an example, Medicare does not cover weight loss medications (well not directly).

A high, non insurance covered price, may limit abuse of such drugs in the U.S.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:20 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
>>Ozempic is the brand name of semaglutide, just one of many in a drug class known as incretins. A higher dose of semaglutide, Wegovy, also started trending when Tesla founder Elon Musk said the once-weekly injectable was his secret weapon for looking “fit, ripped, and healthy.”

I don't think Elon Musk looks particularly fit, ripped (????? did someone say ripped ?????) and healthy. He just looks like an average, everyday guy. There are no short cuts or magic pills. Work out and eat right. As others mentioned there are side effects to meds.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:22 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Also says in the article he fasts. That would be the key here. People are dreaming of a pill they can eat that allows them to eat whatever they want and get slim.

Old 10-24-2022, 06:36 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,200,286 times
My endocrinologist recently put me on a very low calorie diet (600-800 cals per day) with an increase in my dose of Ozempic in an effort to bring my blood glucose down. I've been following the diet as prescribed but I can't get the Ozempic and my BG's have not gone down. It's a bit frustrating. I see him again mid-November and I guess we'll figure something out. Ozempic and medications like it are much preferable than insulin for those who don't need insulin.

Old 10-24-2022, 07:22 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
No, doctors were pushing fen-phen before the risks were known.

With more information on the internet now, we are collectively able to make better decisions about what medications we take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss