Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 12:12 AM

13,249 posts, read 7,304,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
According to my own notes about triglycerides, possible matters to investigate are: metabolic syndrome, undiagnosed / untreated diabetes, underactive thyroid, kidney disease, and/or recent excessive alcohol.

The "doctor" should be doing tests and investigating more, and prescribing medicine less.
My A1C was 6.0 fasting sugar was 101 although I only fasted for 12-14 hours. Going back to November of 2022 I was eating lot of sugar until February. I think it will take longer to get the A1C down I haven't had any sugar since first week of February.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 02:59 AM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I'm on a very low carb diet I also eat low saturated fat foods such as fish, and chicken some lean meats. I am losing 20 lbs. every 4 weeks. I happen to go in for a checkup blood work showed my Triglycerides jump from 107 to 163. Now my doctor wants me to go on a stantin I don't want to until my weight BMI is in the normal range.
I'm a little surprised that your triglycerides are going up while you're losing weight.

For me, I had diabetes, metabolic syndrome, huge gut, and serious health issues 10-12 years ago so I had to do something. I tried several diets that didn't work for me and then I followed the advice from the book The Plant Paradox and all my bad health issues and blood number have been reversed. Now I'm thin and fit and have been that way for many years now. I maintain a weight that is about 55 lbs. lower than when I was unhealthy.

Basically, the advice Dr. Gundry provides is a diet that is low carb. low protein and high good fats and healthy plants with other tweaks.

My Dr. told me that she's never seen anyone that reversed their diabetes and bad blood numbers like I did, I hope you do as well. Since you don't have diabetes, I would think you would get even better results than I have.

Old 03-24-2023, 04:50 AM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
I always wondered how long someone should fast before getting blood work done. 12 hours is what doctor said I think that isn't long enough. Last time in 2021 I fasted for 24 hours before the blood work sugar was 90. This time my sugar was 101 I only fasted for 12 hours next time I think ill fast for 24 hours again.
The normal range for triglycerides is defined as that after an 18 hr fast, and they do vary by quite a bit with diet and activity, although genetics is still the major factor.

The normal range for glucose is defined as that after a 4 hr fast...That's the basis for the glucose tolerance test--the BS for non-diabetics is <140mg% at its peak at 2 hrs after the test load is ingested, and back down to normal at 4 hrs....BS is influenced quite a bit by diet and activity in the diabetic-- That's the basis of diet & exercise as the primary treatment for diabetes.

Cholestrol levels are not affectd by fastng, although they tend to be lower in the AM and higher in the late afternoon on a cyclic basis (not much difference, tho) Diet has little if any affect on chol numbers until you get into concentration camp starvation mode.

Your BS readings of 90 & 101 are statistically identical. Normal is normal.

Over the last few yrs, more & more emphaisis has been placed on triglyceride levels-- not becuase the stats warrant it, but because they've already sold us as much statins as they can and now they need a new threat to make money off of.

Old 03-25-2023, 02:56 AM

936 posts, read 823,126 times
Quote:
I'm on a very low carb diet I also eat low saturated fat foods such as fish, and chicken some lean meats. I am losing 20 lbs. every 4 weeks. I happen to go in for a checkup blood work showed my Triglycerides jump from 107 to 163. Now my doctor wants me to go on a stantin I don't want to until my weight BMI is in the normal range.
It's the low carb, fad diet. People forget that good, quality carbs also contain FIBER, which are Mother Nature's statins. Fiber works like Liquid Plumber through your system, cleaning and scrubbing out your arteries of plaque and other bad things. You can still be as thin as a rail and a walking heart attack at the same time. At least you'll leave an exquisite corpse and will look good in your casket, thanks to a low-carb diet.

If you want to avoid statins consider adding some high-quality, fiber-rich foods to your diet. One of the beauties of fiber is that it's calorie-free. You cannot digest it and it passes through you, taking the bad stuff with it.

It's all about balance and not gimmicks.

Old 03-25-2023, 09:27 AM

310 posts, read 323,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDM66 View Post
It's the low carb, fad diet. People forget that good, quality carbs also contain FIBER, which are Mother Nature's statins. Fiber works like Liquid Plumber through your system, cleaning and scrubbing out your arteries of plaque and other bad things. You can still be as thin as a rail and a walking heart attack at the same time. At least you'll leave an exquisite corpse and will look good in your casket, thanks to a low-carb diet.

If you want to avoid statins consider adding some high-quality, fiber-rich foods to your diet. One of the beauties of fiber is that it's calorie-free. You cannot digest it and it passes through you, taking the bad stuff with it.

It's all about balance and not gimmicks.
This

Vegetables, fruits, quinoa, bulgar, faro, oats, beans, beans, beans of all types, etc...

Plus all the nutrients and antioxidants. Eating a varied diet of all the food groups is the key to real health. Fiber is so important to a healthy diet. It should be on the top of everyone's dietary needs. Not only does it help with heart health but it also helps with preventing colon cancer. Go over to the Health board and read about the 29 year old with colon cancer.

Old 03-27-2023, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The normal range for triglycerides is defined as that after an 18 hr fast, and they do vary by quite a bit with diet and activity, although genetics is still the major factor.

The normal range for glucose is defined as that after a 4 hr fast...That's the basis for the glucose tolerance test--the BS for non-diabetics is <140mg% at its peak at 2 hrs after the test load is ingested, and back down to normal at 4 hrs....BS is influenced quite a bit by diet and activity in the diabetic-- That's the basis of diet & exercise as the primary treatment for diabetes.

Cholestrol levels are not affectd by fastng, although they tend to be lower in the AM and higher in the late afternoon on a cyclic basis (not much difference, tho) Diet has little if any affect on chol numbers until you get into concentration camp starvation mode.

Your BS readings of 90 & 101 are statistically identical. Normal is normal.

Over the last few yrs, more & more emphaisis has been placed on triglyceride levels-- not becuase the stats warrant it, but because they've already sold us as much statins as they can and now they need a new threat to make money off of.
That's what the doctor about the 101 fasting sugar said. My A1C should decrease with the removal of sugar and carbs from my diet.

Old 03-27-2023, 03:34 PM

7,255 posts, read 5,126,001 times
^^^ We hope so, but there's a little more to it than that.

An anology illustrating how the HbA1c test works--

Suppose we want to monitor how much lint is floating around the room-- We hang a clean sweater in the middle of it and come back in 3 months and count the lint that the sweater has picked up, then we divide by 90 and that's our daily average for the 3 month period...

It assumes the lint load in the room is constant from day to day, but maybe the air is perfectly clean for 89 days and on one day your 10y/o kid with ADHD decided to shear a sheep in that room creating a tremendous lint cloud.

You see the problem- the HbA1c assumes you're pretty constant in your daily activity and diet.

A few strudies have shown that agressively lowering the HbA1c has a beneficial effect on preventing diabetic eye problems, but repeated studies show that there does not seem to be any advantage to lowering it below 7.0% in terms of improving the risk of the larger arteriolar & arterial problems-- CVA, CAD, CRF, PAD.

A HbA1c value of 7.0% correspnds to an average BS of 160mg%.

Old 03-27-2023, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
^^^ We hope so, but there's a little more to it than that.

An anology illustrating how the HbA1c test works--

Suppose we want to monitor how much lint is floating around the room-- We hang a clean sweater in the middle of it and come back in 3 months and count the lint that the sweater has picked up, then we divide by 90 and that's our daily average for the 3 month period...

It assumes the lint load in the room is constant from day to day, but maybe the air is perfectly clean for 89 days and on one day your 10y/o kid with ADHD decided to shear a sheep in that room creating a tremendous lint cloud.

You see the problem- the HbA1c assumes you're pretty constant in your daily activity and diet.

A few strudies have shown that agressively lowering the HbA1c has a beneficial effect on preventing diabetic eye problems, but repeated studies show that there does not seem to be any advantage to lowering it below 7.0% in terms of improving the risk of the larger arteriolar & arterial problems-- CVA, CAD, CRF, PAD.

A HbA1c value of 7.0% correspnds to an average BS of 160mg%.
According to the ADA over 6.5% is considered diabetes. My case it shows that my body doesn't process sugar that well. My wife she can drink sugar soda and eat tons of sugar her A1C is 4.7% she doesn't gain a pound of weight.

I just don't want it to get any higher it tends to when I eat poorly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss