Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2023, 02:12 PM

13,245 posts, read 7,295,079 times

Advertisements

I'm on a very low carb diet I also eat low saturated fat foods such as fish, and chicken some lean meats. I am losing 20 lbs. every 4 weeks. I happen to go in for a checkup blood work showed my Triglycerides jump from 107 to 163. Now my doctor wants me to go on a stantin I don't want to until my weight BMI is in the normal range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2023, 07:23 PM

164 posts, read 112,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I'm on a very low carb diet I also eat low saturated fat foods such as fish, and chicken some lean meats. I am losing 20 lbs. every 4 weeks. I happen to go in for a checkup blood work showed my Triglycerides jump from 107 to 163. Now my doctor wants me to go on a stantin I don't want to until my weight BMI is in the normal range.
When I gave up most carbs for six months, my cholesterol and triglycerides went down but my blood sugar went up. I had lost 14lbs., felt slimmer and good. I don't understand why that happened. In the past I have asked doctors why when I don't diet, my triglycerides go up but my blood sugar doesn't. Never have gotten an answer.

Old 03-20-2023, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allmypets View Post
When I gave up most carbs for six months, my cholesterol and triglycerides went down but my blood sugar went up. I had lost 14lbs., felt slimmer and good. I don't understand why that happened. In the past I have asked doctors why when I don't diet, my triglycerides go up but my blood sugar doesn't. Never have gotten an answer.
I don't think they know really why my goal is to drop another 20 lbs. by the time I go back to see them on April 12th I'm already down 9 lbs so far of my goal since I saw the doctor on the 8th. When I told her I was losing weight she just nodded like "Everyone says that" I want to see look on her face when I'm down 29 lbs in 30 days.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:35 AM

310 posts, read 323,061 times
Quote:
I don't think they know really why my goal is to drop another 20 lbs. by the time I go back to see them on April 12th I'm already down 9 lbs so far of my goal since I saw the doctor on the 8th. When I told her I was losing weight she just nodded like "Everyone says that" I want to see look on her face when I'm down 29 lbs in 30 days.
29 pounds in 30 days? How much do you weigh now? Unless you are obese this is an unlikely number.

Old 03-21-2023, 09:57 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,367,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyme609 View Post
29 pounds in 30 days? How much do you weigh now? Unless you are obese this is an unlikely number.
She said in a different thread that she's eating less than 1000 calories a day, so she's prioritizing rapid weight loss over actual health and sustainable behavior.

Old 03-21-2023, 11:13 AM

I'm a he not a she but yes, I was up to 245-246 range down to 220 in 30 days. My goal is to lose another 20 lbs by 4/12. I'm 5'6" tall so bmi was in the high 30's maybe almost 40.

Old 03-21-2023, 01:43 PM

7,249 posts, read 5,119,840 times
Quote:
I'm a he not a she but yes, I was up to 245-246 range down to 220 in 30 days. My goal is to lose another 20 lbs by 4/12. I'm 5'6" tall so bmi was in the high 30's maybe almost 40.
A couple points--

Changes in lab values that remain in the normal zone aren't really changes at all. Intuitvely, we want to say those values are dfferent, but statistically, normal is normal. Period....A home run is one run whether it's into the basket at Wrigley Field or into the third deck at Yankee Stadium. Same for lab values.

In particular-- triglid levels are very sensitive to diet AND must be after an 18 hr fast to be compared. So your change from 100 to 160 may not be a real change at all. (Why have the lab tests even been ordered so close together?)

OTOH-- when you start starving yourself, your metabolism shifts into starvation mode, becoming much more stingy & efficient about burning calories. (That's one reason it's easier to lose weight at first on a diet and harder after a week or two.) The change in your lipid numbers may represent that change in metabolism.

Sometimes it's necessary to lose weight rapidly-- Like when a morbidly obese pt needs to undergo surgery. In that case, severe calorie restriction is prescribed, but attention must be paid to getting enough prtoein, vits & mins- difficult on low cal diets. Make sure you're losing fat, not muscle.

The other problem with severe cal restriction for rapid weight loss is that you won't be staying on that diet forever. It's real easy to fall back into your old way of excessive eating after you reach your goal because you haven't taken the time to learn how to eat properly for the maintenance phase....Often it's better to just start with the maintenance diet, get used to it and continue it forever, being patient about the weight loss.

Old 03-21-2023, 04:39 PM

21,831 posts, read 25,114,712 times
I'd get a new doctor. Single borderline reading in the borderline range I also wouldn't do statins.

That said, I wouldn't really advocate for crash diets either. They're unhealthy. They might be less unhealthy than being morbidly obese but yeah. Doesn't really surprise me that you have elevated triglycerides if you're relying heavily on body fat. That's pretty much what you'd expect. Personally, I wouldn't do what you're doing for anymore than a few weeks. I just also wouldn't add another negative (statins) to treat what probably just transient borderline high triglycerides.

Old 03-21-2023, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A couple points--

Changes in lab values that remain in the normal zone aren't really changes at all. Intuitvely, we want to say those values are dfferent, but statistically, normal is normal. Period....A home run is one run whether it's into the basket at Wrigley Field or into the third deck at Yankee Stadium. Same for lab values.

In particular-- triglid levels are very sensitive to diet AND must be after an 18 hr fast to be compared. So your change from 100 to 160 may not be a real change at all. (Why have the lab tests even been ordered so close together?)

OTOH-- when you start starving yourself, your metabolism shifts into starvation mode, becoming much more stingy & efficient about burning calories. (That's one reason it's easier to lose weight at first on a diet and harder after a week or two.) The change in your lipid numbers may represent that change in metabolism.

Sometimes it's necessary to lose weight rapidly-- Like when a morbidly obese pt needs to undergo surgery. In that case, severe calorie restriction is prescribed, but attention must be paid to getting enough prtoein, vits & mins- difficult on low cal diets. Make sure you're losing fat, not muscle.

The other problem with severe cal restriction for rapid weight loss is that you won't be staying on that diet forever. It's real easy to fall back into your old way of excessive eating after you reach your goal because you haven't taken the time to learn how to eat properly for the maintenance phase....Often it's better to just start with the maintenance diet, get used to it and continue it forever, being patient about the weight loss.
I always wondered how long someone should fast before getting blood work done. 12 hours is what doctor said I think that isn't long enough. Last time in 2021 I fasted for 24 hours before the blood work sugar was 90. This time my sugar was 101 I only fasted for 12 hours next time I think ill fast for 24 hours again.

Old 03-22-2023, 11:54 AM

11,073 posts, read 7,142,399 times
Quote:
According to my own notes about triglycerides, possible matters to investigate are: metabolic syndrome, undiagnosed / untreated diabetes, underactive thyroid, kidney disease, and/or recent excessive alcohol.

The "doctor" should be doing tests and investigating more, and prescribing medicine less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss