Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 10:15 AM

52 posts, read 223,284 times

Advertisements

Experiences?

How bad/good does the food actually taste?

A friend lost 40lbs on this in about 3 months plus 20-30 mins cardio/day. I've done weight watchers before and that works if you follow it properly. I'm ready to get back in the swing of things and just wondering if I should try NS this time.

I'm moving somewhere thats pretty rural and expensive for groceries. So I was thinking that having my meals mailed to the house might be a good idea.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,015,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbags View Post
Experiences?

How bad/good does the food actually taste?

A friend lost 40lbs on this in about 3 months plus 20-30 mins cardio/day. I've done weight watchers before and that works if you follow it properly. I'm ready to get back in the swing of things and just wondering if I should try NS this time.

I'm moving somewhere thats pretty rural and expensive for groceries. So I was thinking that having my meals mailed to the house might be a good idea.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
For nutri system I never got past the fact that I could get the
same prepackaged ,one portion, low calorie meals, that taste better and are cheaper at the grocery store in the frozen section.
I personally did not like the nutri system foods but maybe they have improved since I tried.

Do they allow you to try out the food before you commit to a plan
and have to lock in.

I talked to Jenny Craig a year ago and did not go with it because you had to lock in for a long period. I asked "what if am displeased with the food
or the program?" basically..tough luck...

My Husband and I are loving the WW plans . We are losing and
learning healthy eating and it fits nice with still cooking for a family.

Old 05-30-2008, 06:16 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,986,043 times
I think both systems are bogus and just great ways to lighten your wallet. I've family and friends who have been on both and every single one of them gained back everything they lost within just a year or two after starting. No one stays with these systems for ever (no one remains "pleased with the program" for much more than a few months), and no one who buys into them seem to understand that with just the most fundamental nutritional knowledge you can shop for and package your own meals; meals which have more fresh and better ingredients overall.

These prepackaged meal systems are lousy at helping people lose weight.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:02 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,169,481 times
I found Nutri System to taste REALLY bad!! It was about 3 years ago when I tried it. I'm not that picky about food and I found it to be be bad!!

I was Jenny Craig before and lost down to my goal weight (100lbs lost). The food is pretty darn good, but it's expensive.

Old 06-06-2008, 09:18 PM

479 posts, read 1,237,228 times
I say go with Weight Watchers. It's more realistic and less expensive overall.Also less reliance on prepackaged meals is healthier.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:25 AM

1 posts, read 16,708 times
Weight watchers is the way to go....You can eat your own foods or pre packaged....just count your points.....After 2 months I have lost 20 lbs....I don't even count points anymore because I am so so intuned as to what I can eat....If it is something new then I look up the points.....and eating out is no big deal....You can go online and look up that particular restaurant or one similar to it and find your points....My sister in law tried nutri system and she said the food was terrible....she gave it away...

Old 04-07-2011, 12:24 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
My wife is a WW member, and I follow the plan. She started on WW in Sept 2010 and has lost over 30 pounds on it - I started in December and have lost about 17 pounds. Just today a coworker noted that I looked different. I feel better - and I get to eat a variety of foods, mostly fresh (but processed isnt off limits) and we eat for general health, not just weight loss. Also we exercise more, which is encouraged by WW.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,565,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I think both systems are bogus and just great ways to lighten your wallet. I've family and friends who have been on both and every single one of them gained back everything they lost within just a year or two after starting. No one stays with these systems for ever (no one remains "pleased with the program" for much more than a few months), and no one who buys into them seem to understand that with just the most fundamental nutritional knowledge you can shop for and package your own meals; meals which have more fresh and better ingredients overall.

These prepackaged meal systems are lousy at helping people lose weight.
Its odd you have such strong feelings about WW, but seem to know little or nothing about the program.

You do not have to buy ANY WW packaged foods to be in WW. You can get eat nothing but fresh foods - or if you prefer you can get nonWW packaged foods. Or you can buy WW packaged foods. The WW foods have the advantage of having the WW points right on the package - but its very easy to get the points for most things.

The main expense is the 40 a month membership - they also like to push little extras, like ww cookbooks, a WW food scale etc - but you dont HAVE to get any of that. My wife is a member, and I have read her materials and follow the plan. We rarely get WW foods. The one time I did was when my wife was out of town, took all the materials and the WW point calculator with her - I got the packaged stuff just cause it was easier to figure the points, and I didnt feel like cooking every night. Other than that, almost the only WW packaged foods we get are their ice cream treats, and we aren't going to make those ourselves.

As for long term maintenance, I dont know. My wife tells me there are folks at her meetings who come in to weigh in and quickly leave, cause they are on maintenance and dont need the talks and support so much. I dont know the percentage. I am sure lots of people do drop out. I am not sure I want to track forever - I am hoping the changed habits became intuitive enough to keep a healthy weight without tracking, but we will see.

Old 04-07-2011, 07:13 PM

25 posts, read 32,624 times
Please please stay far away from Nutrisystem the food was terrible it made my stomach upset. And I always felt hungry again later. Overall it was a big disappointment. Their customer service was lousy as well.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,486,181 times
I have done both. Nutri-system food started all tasting the same to me...especially all the noodle dinners. My success was with w.w. You can do it on your own, once you learn how to figure the points, which is very easy. The reason w.w is better is you eat regular food, not pre-packaged and it's a way of life with w.w, because you are using food you already eat and can readily buy at the store. It really is a no fail program. If you feel you need that extra support you can join w.w and go to the meetings and also you can join online.
Just my two cents.

When in doubt read the TOS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss