Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:08 PM

1 posts, read 28,245 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are "considering" either the Nutri-System or the Jenny Craig diet for about a month to "jump start" our way to a healthier lifestyle.

He's going in for minor surgery in about a month, and I was thinking that to lose weight quickly, this might be an idea. I've always tried planning healthy meals with healthy portions, but at 6'2", weighing 130, he's "not in the mood" and swears I'm trying to starve him to death! I, on the other hand, am mortified to say, that at 5'3", I am at my heaviest, weighting nearly 170 pounds. I am in the peri-menopause stage of life, and just looking at a grape will pack on 2 pounds. I'm small-boned, so I look and feel VERY HEAVY!

I recently joined Curves. It takes me nearly a 1/2 hour to get there (we live in a very small town, and I am outside city limits); my husband has a fit every time I tell him I'm going to work-out and don't come home for nearly 2 hours (drive-time and all).

I guess I'm thinking that if we can get a "push", he would feel better about meals I prepare and I'd feel better about him having surgery. Any info from anyone would be greatly appreciated, since I'm about at my wits end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2007, 08:37 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,985 times
Do you really think that your hubby is 'overweight'? 6'2" and only 130 lbs ....Or, maybe you meant '230'???

If so...I 'did' the Jenny Craig diet for 5 months at first many years ago. Went from 205 to 159.5 during the period from July 1st thru Nov 15th. At that time I really loved the food. I have been off of the plan for many years and had gained all back and then some. The J.C. plan was great. It was me.

I made 'bad' choices and totally my fault. Had been walking everyday and even quit that. Again, my bad choices. The food was good as I have said. I liked the frozen entrees the best. The counselors at that time were always extremely helpful with encouragement and good advice.

Do watch out for 'quick' weight loss programs tho'. Chances are you may do what I did and gain it back. It does creep up when you are not looking.

I never tried N.S. but have had friends that tried it and also had good results. Guess it would depend on cost, foods and if a center is located near to you. Both plans do offer mail order service. I know that J.C. offers telephone counsultations.

I now have a month's supply of J.C. sent to me on occasion. I am now back to 164.5 this A.M. from 230. I like Slim Fast for Breakfast and J.C. for lunch and a very light dinner (evening meal). Plus, as another thread here is about, exercise is so important. So I walk again and work in my garden.

I try to do as many chores standing up and walking around and here I am today behind a desk at the real estate office. I do wish you both good health and good luck on whatever 'plan' that you may decide to choose. Also, good luck to your hubby concerning his upcoming surgery. Sorry this is so long.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,035 times
6'2", 130 lbs ... is that underweight?

I've never been on either but I had a friend who was on JC and she did a pretty good job. I heard Nutrisystem's food is yucky but don't quote me on that.

Honestly, I think you should learn about both plans and see what's best for you. Even in JC, I think there are different types of diet plans if memory serves me correctly. You have to pick one that will fit your lifestyle.

I know what you mean about drive time. It takes me almost 30 min, too, but remember to keep at it!! Exercise, IMO, is the best way to get healthy. The way things worked for me is, once I start exercising, I naturally eat less and "want" to eat healthier foods. I still get my cravings of course but I do it at a more consciou level. I bought this ginormous cookie one day for dessert but once I bought it, I had "buyers remorse" and was actually able to not eat it!! Hubby had it for breakfast the next day. When I bought it again a few days later, I only ate about 1/3 of it and threw the other 2/3 away. I know, I couldn't believe it!

As for as your husband goes, just cook what you need to cook and your hubby can join you or make his own dinner. It works in my household but I know it may not necessarily work in yours. Maybe you can propose walking everyday together. That way you can minimize your time going to Curves and both of you can get some cardio in. I know a lot of people here do walks together with their spouses. I think that's a really good idea.

Good luck!

Old 08-13-2007, 08:52 AM

7,395 posts, read 19,346,945 times
I was on Nutrisystem for a couple of months to jumpstart my weight loss. It works but the food is awful. (I'm not a tv dinner fan) It does help teach portion sizes. What I do most of the time now is follow the plan with my own home cooked food. Learning to portion was the key for me. Eating a salad an hour or 2 before supper helped me a lot.
Good luck.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:27 AM

Default Portions

Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
I was on Nutrisystem for a couple of months to jumpstart my weight loss. It works but the food is awful. (I'm not a tv dinner fan) It does help teach portion sizes. What I do most of the time now is follow the plan with my own home cooked food. Learning to portion was the key for me. Eating a salad an hour or 2 before supper helped me a lot.
Good luck.
You are so very right That was the main focus of JC when I was on the plan. When we could eat our own food at the halfway mark, it was drilled into us that the size of our servings did indeed have to be closely watched. Couldn't go back to just 'filling' your plate. We were taught to use 'salad size' plates instead of the dinner size.

And, that it was ok to leave a little bit now and then. so when we had something like peas, corn or green beans, I use to make sure that I left 2 or 3 Good point you have there.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:58 PM

441 posts, read 2,109,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by songinthewind7 View Post
Good luck.
I totally agree with your comments and had the same experience with the Nutrisystem food.

The best diet that ever worked for me was the sacred heart diet. My entire family went on it together and we lost weight quickly. The first week I lost 10 pounds which was mostly water weight. After that I lost another 5 pounds a week until I reached my target goal. In a month's time I lost 25 pounds and never felt better. The first day of this seven day diet was the worst for me as I had to eat nothing but fruit and soup all day. Fruit does not set well with me. After that, when you add the meat, potatoes and vegetables it was wonderful. You just gotta get through that first day.

Nutrisystem was expensive. Not only did you have to buy their food, but you had to grocery shop and buy the food that goes with it. My husband and I spent an average of $60 per week on groceries - say $240 per month - plus the $260 apiece for the nutrisystem. This came to $500 per month for two people to eat! Ouch.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:35 AM

What is the sacred heart diet? Definately sounds like a good jumpstart or if your weight has stalled.
Please tell us more.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 AM

Found this when I was checking it out. May not be the same tho'

The Sacred Heart Diet - Get the Skinny on Diets

Anyone? Is this the same one an earlier post mentioned? Thanks

Old 08-17-2007, 07:27 AM

859 posts, read 3,322,561 times
My mom did Nutrisystem and they lie on TV about the food.

Sometimes lunch is only in bar form. The "burger" is a flat patty and you have to provide your own bun. It's a lot of hype. You'd be better off buying frozen weight watcher meals.

Old 08-17-2007, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMissSunshine View Post
My mom did Nutrisystem and they lie on TV about the food.

Sometimes lunch is only in bar form. The "burger" is a flat patty and you have to provide your own bun. It's a lot of hype. You'd be better off buying frozen weight watcher meals.
The "pizza" looks like a 5 inch taco shell and tastes very bland. On tv, it looks like something you get at pizza hut. All that cheese. Yeah right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss