Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:02 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,571,982 times

Advertisements

Interesting...the OP only posted this one time and then a year ago!!! Wonder how 'they' are doing on any diet...

I still like JC but live in a rural area and do not like driving into the city. I prefer the frozen meas as opposed to all shelf packaged foods. However, I did learn so much with and from the counselor that I had. Portion sizes, plate size, how often to eat. I did manage to lose some weight. Went from 230 to now 158.5 this a.m. I am 5'5". 'Old lady' and not as active as I had been when younger. Walking is about it for me. Will have knee surgery on 8/18 so really will need to be conscious of my meals.

Would be happy to lose about another 10-15. But I have found that when you get older, you lose in places that you really didn't intend to lose. Face and neck get thinner, Arms and legs a little flabby, a little? What am I talking about, try very flabby. And if a woman, bra sizes get smaller also. That's ok, no bikinis for me.

All in all, I did like Jenny Craig and what I learned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:10 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
I tried Nutrisystem once for about 3 days before I sent all their stuff back. The food was HORRENDOUS. I'm not a foodie...I don't care that much about food but I don't like to plan or shop or cook so I thought it would be a nice break from all of that, but YUCK. Their food is inedible.

Old 08-09-2008, 03:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,233 times
Default Jenny Craig vs.Nutri-System Diets

The Jenny Craig vs. Nutri-System Diets Perfect if you don't want to prepare meals or weigh portions. One online or phone counseling session per week is included.No identified health risks. However, although the program advocates starting out on 100% Jenny Craig prepared meals and snacks and slowly migrating over to your own cooking, it is unclear how this is supposed to happen once you've gotten used to and lost weight on their food.

Sambrown

[URL=http://www.treatmentcenters.org/pennsylvania]Pennsylvania Treatment Centers[/URL]

Last edited by sspl03; 08-09-2008 at 03:51 AM.. Reason: url

Old 08-09-2008, 01:39 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,462,812 times
Default The weight loss company NOT to use...

Hi everyone,

How nice to find this forum!

I have a little advice regarding another online weight loss company. I don't know if anyone had heard of them or if they've been mentioned in here yet. I used the search function here and it didn't come up so I'll just blurt it out. Ediets.com. Horrible! They're also known as Delicously Yours.
If anyone comes accross this company while searching for an online weight loss company that also offers food delivery service (a meal plan), head for the hills and hide your pocketbook!

As a former employee, I can now blog the heck out of them. They offer an online (digital) program for $17.96 per month. This program is supposed to give you diet / fitness and recipe clubs. As well as the opportunity to track your progress along the way and to call and speak with nutritionists and registered dieticians. Ya, right. Their computer program was rolled out to members while it was still in alpha phase. Therefore, the site is never up, always crashes and to top it all off... they think nothing of double or triple billing their members randomly, and it happens almost every month. They're just hoping people don't notice their accounts being debited. If people do notice and call demanding a refund, it takes an act of congress and 30 days for that to happen.

The meal delivery service they offer is worse. For $156 per WEEK they offer freshly prepared meals ("no preservatives", lol!) delivered to your door once a week via fed ex. (ya right) The food never shows up and when it does it's crap. It's shipped ground from Iowa. So if you live on the east coast, your food has been sitting on a truck for days. That's when and if it comes at all. Most of the time it doesn't. Want a refund? Sure, please see above.

Go check out the site and then google "ediets sucks" and see what the customers (members) are saying about it.

Also, just before I left they had co-branded w/ Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser. Don't be fooled folks! It's the same company! They bought her name to boost sales. Obviously her research team didn't do their research. I can assure you, they aren't getting their food either, and if they do... it's the same garbage food coming from ediets/ delicously yours.

I worked in their member services dept for almost 4 mos before I couldn't stand it anymore. 8 hours a day of people calling and complaining and nothing I could do to help them. Customer service there is so lame, those people in the call center are barely articulate and know nothing about true customer service. Mgrs didn't care, higher-ups have no clue what the members are saying. 1st qrtr earnings posted said they lost 5 million dollars. Guess who's trying to recover their losses? Guess how they're doing it? Ripping people off.

I hope this post helps anybody that might be considering using this company. I know it's a little off topic in this Jenny Craig vs. Nutra System thread. Ediets compares themselves to both of those companies and claims their food is better b/c it's fresh - not frozen and no preservatives.
Don't be fooled. Guard your wallets, if you've ever given them your CC #, I guarantee you've been billed for something.

No, I'm not bitter. I just want to warn others of this scam.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited by island mermaid; 08-09-2008 at 01:44 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 08-09-2008, 07:31 PM

838 posts, read 1,211,135 times
HI! I'm so glad I found this forum. Nutri-system was fine..but even I eventually got sick of it. I'm not picky at all..and after a few days I was SOOO over it. Frozen dinners are actually a WAY better way to go...if you don't have time to prepare. Pick 3 healthy choice entrees a day..or whatever diet brand..and have like 2 fruits and 2 veggies. That's how I lost most of my weight. I'm 5'3 and also getting HEAVY!!!! AHHH!
It doesn't help that my bf eats like a pig and is 5'11, 175 pounds, with muscles....but he does have a tad of a tummy...so I try to motivate him but he doesn't seem to concerned with losing it. He's perfectly fine. MAN..MEN MAKE IT EVEN HARDER TO LOSE WEIGHT! I hate them soooo much sometimes. AGH!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:30 PM

561 posts, read 1,512,344 times
You can file this under different strokes for different folks, but I don't think anyone who wants to lose weight can go wrong with Weight Watchers. I am over 50 years old and I lost 80 pounds from July 07 to present. I was motivated, my doctor told me that if I didn't lose weight I would be diabetic, I was probably pre-diabetic then. Trust me, that got my attention and got me motivated....I didn't want to be diabetic! And, quite frankly, I also was depressed at the prospect of dieting; all I could think about was having to eat bad tasting food or rabbit food, neither of which would be satisfying....in my mind, I was already looking at failure....so more depression. Also, I believed I was "too old" to really lose any significant weight. However, I remembered meeting older women in the past who had lost lots of weight and it was always with WW, so I went to my first meeting and then I took control.

I can honestly say I have eaten better, more fulfilling meals since I joined. It was a lot of work, because it all comes down to what you take in, and what you put out, i.e. exercise. You don't start out running or walking five miles a day, you build up to it. I don't go hungry, I feel satisfied and I feel really, really feel good about myself. My doctor was overjoyed! Fad diets don't work, at least not in the long term. If you don't control what you eat, it will control you...it's as simple as that! Plus WW has some foods that are absolutely wonderful, and going to the meetings (which is a big plus) I got great recipes that even my family loved! Prior to WW you would not see me turn down a chocolate milkshake or Frosty, but WW has a chocolate smoothie that I absolutely love and I have not wanted a regular chocolate shake since--this entire summer!!! I would choose the WW smoothie over a shake anyday! I don't feel like I've been on a "diet!" As they say, WW is not a diet, it's a lifestyle! There was nothing that I couldn't eat--yes, I ate pizza, hamburgers, and deserts while I lost my 80 pounds - and this is not a joke. If anyone wants to DM me, I'll be happy to give you a couple of great tasting recipies sure to satisfy your craving for desert!

Yes, you pay for your meeting with WW, but if you do a monthly pass you get the online WW benefits. You can put your personal recipes in and their program will break it down into points per serving for you. You don't have to buy any special food, but when you taste some of the WW stuff, it's hard not to buy it. WW is sold in grocery stores, and certain items are only available at the meetings.

I don't work for WW, but I sure found victory over my weight loss with them. And one of the best quotes (unknown source) I've heard and would like to repeat here is:

"Nothing, absolutely nothing, tastes as good as thin feels!"

Good luck to all of you who are trying to lose weight, no matter what plan you use!

Old 08-11-2008, 02:19 PM

879 posts, read 2,878,482 times
Default I've done em all...including Curves...

In my adult lifetime I've tried Nutrisystems (before they got in trouble), Jenny Craig, The Diet System, and Weight Watchers...plus every "diet" fad known...each time I succeeded in losing weight and then gaining it back.

Unfortunately, any diet works while your on it...but it doesn't change your (bad) eating habits. Everytime I would lose weight and within months have gained back that weight plus a few more. In 20 years of "dieting" I've gained 40 pounds.

My best success has been to change my eating habits and exercise...any kind of exercise for 30 minutes several times a week helps, but once your body adjusts to the 30 minutes you need to shake it up by doing something different and/or more of it. And as a woman you need weight training..no to build muscle but to build bone and increase you metabolism.

For the eating side, I have given up all sodas..diet or otherwise and now drink plain iced tea, water, and seltzer (has no salt). I also eat 3 balanced meals a day rather than my "normal" one. I don't eat fried food nor do I eat fast/junk food so that wasn't my problem..it was quantity. I also didn't eat breakfast and often skipped lunch or had a chunk of cheese. Then I would way overeat at dinner.

I have also given up processed food for the most part. I won't buy ANYTHING that has high frutcose corn syrup (which eliminates an amazing number of food products) or that comes in a box or bag.
I don't buy organic but I do try to buy more natural types of foods...whole grains, fruits, fresh produce (or frozen). My downfall is chocolate and vodka....but I try to buy the best of each and limit how much I consume.

The hard part is getting started. Your body craves sweets, fats, etc. because they taste good. One seldom craves carrots or spinach. I allow myself to taste anything I want...ice cream, pie, etc. but only a taste. I allow myself pizza..but only 1 small piece. Then I have a huge salad or a plate of roasted (vs boiled) veggies and a half of a chicken breast or a small sirloin steak, or a small bowl of chili...

You can do it....it just takes work and remembering that we didn't gain it in a month so we're not going to lose it in a month.

BTW: I hope you meant 230 pounds at 6'2"...130 pounds would be underweight. And men need alot more calories than women do unfortunately. If he is hungy, increase the portion size and fill the plate with tons of veggies...all he can eat as a matter of fact (potatoes aren't veggies no matter what he says)

BTW: If you really want to spend money on a weight loss program try weight watchers...it comes the closest to working on changing bad habits...but if your like many of us (if not most) you know HOW to lose weight, it's the motivation to actually change the food being consumed.

Good luck...save your money and buy healthy food.

Last edited by mrschilicook; 08-11-2008 at 02:29 PM.. Reason: correction

Old 09-06-2008, 05:09 PM

14 posts, read 137,846 times
Default Jenny vs Nutri

Both work if you follow it, and both can get costly, one of the most inexpensive plans out there that work is Slim Fast, with a low fat/ low carb dinner and a good 30 minute walk everyday, its sure to make you lose weight. Lots of good diet info is posted on DidYouDiet.com

Old 03-29-2009, 10:12 AM

5 posts, read 21,747 times
I know that this is after the fact of the post, but I am doing the Jenny Craig, started on Jan 18 of 09 and am down 22 pounds, I am also doing water aerobics, which I LOVE and have lost 23 inchs from my trunk. I had a knee replaced 3 years ago and the other one was on the way out, it feel much better now. if you can not do the walking or the gym, find yourself a water aerobics class, a good class with the "weights" will kick you butt with out the pain. and it will get you toned, it is not an "old lady" class, I have gone from a 2x to an extra large/ large. Jenny Craig was expense, but it is an investment. I am worth it, after 20 years of dieting, this is working.
you can't just eat the food and expect great results, you have to work, get moving,

Old 03-29-2009, 04:33 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,696,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helene82 View Post
Both work if you follow it, and both can get costly, one of the most inexpensive plans out there that work is Slim Fast, with a low fat/ low carb dinner and a good 30 minute walk everyday, its sure to make you lose weight. Lots of good diet info is posted on DidYouDiet.com
Yep. I started taking an apple and atkin's drinks to work for lunch instead of a meal. I sit on my butt for 9 hours answering phones, if i can reduce my carb/calorie intake, i can loose this weight i have.

If there was a book or program that told me how to eat right and not be boring, i'd buy it and follow it like a bible.

The meal plans provided by beach body are so boring. I can't eat a huge salad without any dressing, it sucks. I don't want to eat the same stuff all the time, throw some variety in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss