Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 10:45 AM

3,370 posts, read 1,538,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I'm also 5'10", so I know the recommendation is we should weigh between 150 and 170 lbs. I haven't been that low in 30 years, but have been gradually losing weight by cutting carbs and doing IF.

I focus on eating whole foods, mostly veggies and protein. I don't eat red meat, so eggs, poultry, and seafood are my jam.

Recent surgery led me to a nutrition consult, so I've added whey protein powder to my diet while I heal. It tastes like malted milk, yum. I'm afraid to check the sugar content.
150 is way too thin for 5"10. when in my 20s I had to starve myself to get to like 174 and exercise like crazy. I think 170 could be a good weight for 5"10 but it would be very difficult at an older age. if you were 150 you would look way too skinny.

before I tried the keto I was only eating red meat once a meat. mostly I was eating chicken and some processed foods like goldfish and french bread pizza and candy. everyone agrees sugar is the worst of the worst. I saw a documentary on how sugar is just as bad as alcohol on your body.
carbs and sugars are so addicting and there is so much of it at the grocery store no wonder why we have become so fat. The average weight of a male in the 1970s was like 20 pounds lighter or something than now.
plastics in water bottles are not good and tap water are also wreaking havoc on us.

I was hoping to find someone on here that did keto and if they only ate fatty meats or did they mix up some lean meats like chicken breast and ground turkey. I would like to eat more fish but I am concerned about mercury and its expensive.

I tried whey protein and some people have trouble digesting it and it could hinder fat loss because it comes from milk. I then tried pea protein but I got a brand that was tested that did not have heavy metals in it. some protein powders have heavy metals in them that are not good. I heard creatine could help in fat loss too and is good for your brain. I would think a protein powder would take you out of a fast . its hard to get all your protein in in one meal I found. I am getting 90 to 100 grams but some advice like 200 but I have not lost muscle and even before the diet I was not getting close to 200 grams a day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 11:32 AM

3,105 posts, read 1,000,279 times
I'm doing keto now, I've been on keto for the last 4 years or so. I can't have much fat because of a health issue. My gall bladder can't tolerate much fat. I lost some 40 lbs the first year and gained most of it back after a side effect of a medication. Now I lost 18 lbs in the last year or so. I'm not on the medication anymore but it took time for the body to detox. I stopped losing after these 18 lbs, no idea why. Anyway, I'm a middle-aged woman, so big hormonal changes in the last months and so on...so this might be the reason. I'm doing my best to work out, to do something, to be active daily. Not easy, I have some chronic pain that bothers me.

I don't eat red meat either, I tried but I just can't. I'm a former lacto-ovo-vegetarian and I only have chicken, turkey and salmon. I buy only organic meats and very good quality. My keto diet is very low carbs but not very much meat. Mostly veggies and eggs, cheese, some berries but not often. No processed food, sugar, soda, pasta, potatoes, alcohol, caffeine etc. Also I'm not very hungry, I suspect I'm not eating enough.

I think you're doing pretty well, try not to stress out about it. You are right about doctors, they have no idea about nutrition, they only treat/suppress symptoms and push medication. Most of them, not all. Quite sad.

Take care.

Old 06-30-2023, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
I'm doing keto now, I've been on keto for the last 4 years or so. I can't have much fat because of a health issue. My gall bladder can't tolerate much fat. I lost some 40 lbs the first year and gained most of it back after a side effect of a medication. Now I lost 18 lbs in the last year or so. I'm not on the medication anymore but it took time for the body to detox. I stopped losing after these 18 lbs, no idea why. Anyway, I'm a middle-aged woman, so big hormonal changes in the last months and so on...so this might be the reason. I'm doing my best to work out, to do something, to be active daily. Not easy, I have some chronic pain that bothers me.

I don't eat red meat either, I tried but I just can't. I'm a former lacto-ovo-vegetarian and I only have chicken, turkey and salmon. I buy only organic meats and very good quality. My keto diet is very low carbs but not very much meat. Mostly veggies and eggs, cheese, some berries but not often. No processed food, sugar, soda, pasta, potatoes, alcohol, caffeine etc. Also I'm not very hungry, I suspect I'm not eating enough.

I think you're doing pretty well, try not to stress out about it. You are right about doctors, they have no idea about nutrition, they only treat/suppress symptoms and push medication. Most of them, not all. Quite sad.

Take care.

there is one problem with going low fat men's testosterone can plummet. its also been examined that if some go too low carb testosterone can plummet. obviously, experimentation is probably necessary for everyone no matter what diet they choose. Women need testosterone too not as much as men but they still need some. I can not say for sure these same changes happen in women but I have heard stories multiple times of going too low fat or too low carb can destroy a man's testosterone.

As for pain I would not want someone to take pills there is a supplement that can help with that if you are interested but it is illegal in some states. I was never vegetarian but eating only meat does not seem appealing to me at all. I will never give up coffee I can go to black coffee but I don't care what the diet says I will never give up caffeine.

Old 07-01-2023, 06:11 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
Doctors suck with nutrition. they literally get 2 hours of nutrition. They are good at treating disease but know almost nothing about diet and believe cholesterol is bad. Ya I might have to sift through the info and make up my own mind. sometimes random people might know. when I get the right answer sometimes I know. I think eating foods that are natural takes care of most of people's problems. when people over eat its the fried or processed foods they overeat or the sweets.
Well clearly you know all the answers to the questions you're asking, since every time anyone comes up with a suggestion on what to do, you come up with reasons why you can't, or shouldn't. Including talking to an actual doctor.

So do whatever you want, and stop wasting time asking strangers on the internet to validate your superior opinion about your health.

You're right. Lose weight, you should expect to see some kinds of results. Just like you predict.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Well clearly you know all the answers to the questions you're asking, since every time anyone comes up with a suggestion on what to do, you come up with reasons why you can't, or shouldn't. Including talking to an actual doctor.

So do whatever you want, and stop wasting time asking strangers on the internet to validate your superior opinion about your health.

You're right. Lose weight, you should expect to see some kinds of results. Just like you predict.
I don't have all the answers and losing weight is difficult especially if you have fatty liver. some doctors recommend only a 1500 calorie diet for fatty liver patients. one poster asked why I was asking about diet on a diet forum ha ha ha. you are real nasty I was never nasty to anyone here humans are hostile creatures that have no respect.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
You should be asking your doctor these questions, or find a dietician who specializes in fatty liver disease, not asking a bunch of strangers on the internet or relying on YouTube videos.
you are brilliant don't ask questions about diet on a diet forum. you are responding to a forum that you think is useless bravo.

Old 07-01-2023, 08:36 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
You have fatty liver disease. That is where you need to focus your dietary needs and restrictions.

DO NOT EAT:
Red meat will kill you. Eliminate it entirely from your diet. No alcohol. No "added" sugars to anything. A piece of fruit that has its own natural sugar content is fine. A cinnamon bun is not fine.
Fried foods - a few french fries might be okay a couple times a week. But an entire side of fries, or fried buffalo wings, or breaded fried fish - not okay, at all.
Keep "added" salt to a minimum.
White bread, rice, pasta. Avoid, avoid, avoid.
Oh, those bold statements that are not supported by facts.

No, red meat and alcohol won't kill you IF USED IN MODERATION.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/s...how-about-meat (not a slideshow)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/h...rt-cancer.html

Old 07-02-2023, 11:14 AM

Quote:

Farm108 gave me a good suggestion on just to eat healthy unprocessed foods that are natural.

Old 07-03-2023, 10:01 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Oh, those bold statements that are not supported by facts.

No, red meat and alcohol won't kill you IF USED IN MODERATION.

https://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/s...how-about-meat (not a slideshow)

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/30/h...rt-cancer.html
The person has a medical condition called fatty liver. Eating red meat can kill him. It is poison to a fatty liver.

Old 07-03-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
The person has a medical condition called fatty liver. Eating red meat can kill him. It is poison to a fatty liver.

how is red meat going to kill someone with fatty liver. eating fat does not make you fat. in fact eating natural fat not from processed foods can help burn fat. eating sugar and drinking alcohol will kill me though. you want to get the fat from natural meats not man made products.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss