Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 03:29 PM

350 posts, read 195,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
That list doesn't really surprise me. The majority of the items listed are natural and low carb. The pinto beans have carbs but they also have a lot of fiber.

1 cup of pinto beans have 41 grams of protein.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 08:20 PM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxrivers View Post
1 cup of pinto beans have 41 grams of protein.
OK. Not knowing the first thing about how much protein is found in various foods, I had to look up to compare.
One pound of ground beef has, my source says, 78 grams of protein. So 1/4 pound would have 19 grams.
But my source says a cup of Pinto Beans "only" has 15 grams (SOURCE) which is evidently a lot of protein. NO matter how you look at it, Pinto Beans are still ranked higher than steak on the list. It's all very, very surprising to me.

Old 09-20-2023, 09:55 PM

22,141 posts, read 19,198,797 times
i don't eat meat, i do eat fish.

it always surprises me how filling eggs are. scrambled eggs are so light and fluffy in texture, but are so very filling. This always amazes me.

when i recently tried the pasta made from chickpeas, i found it is VERY filling. i don't eat pasta for the most part, but i do appreciate that the chickpeas pasta is high in protein (since i don't eat meat) and very filling.

Old 09-20-2023, 10:26 PM

350 posts, read 195,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
OK. Not knowing the first thing about how much protein is found in various foods, I had to look up to compare.
One pound of ground beef has, my source says, 78 grams of protein. So 1/4 pound would have 19 grams.
But my source says a cup of Pinto Beans "only" has 15 grams (SOURCE) which is evidently a lot of protein. NO matter how you look at it, Pinto Beans are still ranked higher than steak on the list. It's all very, very surprising to me.
UGH you're right I was rushing. That's the content of a cup RAW - 670 calories hahaha.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pint...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I only know very well because I don't really like beans but am vegan and a Nutritarian so I've got a list of all the high protein vegetables but all the others are under 8 grams per cup And that's PEAS but I limit starchy vegs to one cup per day so I'm not including them here.

Like example:

1 oz. cooked asparagus/broccoli etc is around .68 - 1 gr protein per oz x 16 oz = is 16 gr ( 4.3 / cup)
PLUS 1 oz kale x 16 oz = 16 gr protein sub total 32
PLUS the cup of beans is 15 subtotal 47
PLUS 5 - 9 gr protein per oz nuts/seeds(hemp) = 56

OR I'll throw tofu in a smoothie to reach 60 Just depends. (or add another ounce of nuts or a bunch more greens, beans or peas)

Which, 60 is slightly high in our world because I'm playing catch up.

(One cup of canned artichoke hearts is 10 g , corn is 5....)

Exhausting hahaha. But I lost 72 lbs in five months never hungry to a BMI of 19 eating this way and maintained it for years. Perfect labwork. But it's strict but breaking the sodium makes it do-able because your palate changes and you don't crave potato chips and pizza haha.

As I lost, I'd add more nuts, dried dates like to make brownies with cocoa, or fake cheesecake from cashews and fruit or no sodium Ezekiel bread but really no grains/breads. I'm not looking to remember buttered bread. I'll make croutons from them tho. Salad dressing is water, vinegar, touch of mustard, nuts/seeds, a date, sometimes fruits. Westbrae NO SODIUM MUSTARD. Saute is water saute not oil.

OR my favorite a red pepper and mango with some cayenne in the blender and splash of vinegar maybe a little water.

Nutritarian Eat to Live Dr. Joel Fuhrman:
  • 1 lb greens/vegs raw
  • 1 lb greens/veg cooked
  • 1 c beans (more if you're not dieting or large person/male)
  • 1 oz nuts/seeds (or more if not in weight loss mode)
  • fruit
  • NO OIL, no added sodium, no added sugars fake or real. Only whole dates limited. B12 and limited other supplements (like no A or Beta Carotine...)

Thanks for considering Beans a healthy alternative! BONUS they don't cause cancer.

Last edited by jaxrivers; 09-20-2023 at 10:37 PM..

Old 09-21-2023, 10:29 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
I'd add avocado to that list..it's loaded with the good fats that equal fullness....
Regarding fruits, durian is even more caloric and filling. Bananas could also deserve consideration.

Old 09-25-2023, 01:58 PM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
I am usually satisfied after eating a bag of Oreos.

Old 09-25-2023, 06:08 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
For a food to be considered high in protein, it's really the % of calories that come from protein. At least 30%.

Steak is around 40%, whereas pinto beans around 25% (calories from protein).

Don't ever use "cups" to measure food, volume can be deceptive. Use the scale.

Old 09-28-2023, 06:02 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
I dunno - two slices of bacon pizza is pretty darned filling to me.

So is an oversized single scoop of coffee-chocolate chip ice cream.

So is a banana.

And a salad with cranberries, grilled chicken breast, candied pecans, blue cheese crumbles, and balsamic vinegrette satiates the appetite really well.

Old 09-30-2023, 05:06 PM

579 posts, read 319,335 times
Spices and herbs have the highest orac value, adding it to foods boosts satiety. Sweet tastes-cinnamon or stevia signal meal completion. Cocoa. Strangely vinegar and hot sauce but for others it makes them hungry.

High fiber foods, yes, fermented foods like pickles, jalapeños. Protein is a double edged thing. Too much and I think it triggers overeating in general ime.

Even legumes - need to be portioned. Carbs as well I measure. I’m never starving but things can get out of hand without monitoring like snacks so I don’t buy them.

Vegetables I need to be reminded to eat but they promote satiety.

Being hydrated ime boosts satiety.
Prebiotics too.

Seaweed. Savory tastes, broths, soups.
Onions.
Dairy foods like cheese and yogurt, sometimes fats like coconut oil give quick energy. Though cheese is supposedly very addictive. I just periodically get a piece and don’t eat tons of it.

Tea or hot liquids are calming for me vs cold.
Berries.
I guess it probably varies by metabolism somewhat.

Old 09-30-2023, 05:08 PM

579 posts, read 319,335 times
Double post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss