Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2023, 10:32 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Personally I think that list is about "perfect".

I eat everything on that list and love it... and chicken (dark meat) is my main protein.

Satiety to me means being satisfied, your metabolism is humming from the meal, you don't feel "heavy" (like you do if you eat a huge delicious steak). Basically your body is happy because it got the nutrition it NEEDED.

I get that "satisfaction" you get when you eat a bag of Doritos and accompany it with an ice cold Coke. But you just feel "ugh" afterwards. It's empty calories and almost zero useful nutrition.

The list is accurate and reflects why home cooked meals tend to be the most satisfying. Simple fresh ingredients that have the essential nutrients that our body craves.

BTW broccoli is amazingly delicious if you don't overcook it. Try a simple blanch in boiling water laced with some salt and a pinch of sugar. It then can be eaten just like that or quickly "wok" fried with other ingredients. Keep it "crunchy" and green.
Noooo, that is exactly how I DON'T enjoy broccoli.

An acceptable way is oven-roasted, though, with chunks of onion, carrot, and cauliflower, drizzled with olive oil and/or butter and seasonings and roasted to fork tenderness.

Old 10-14-2023, 10:44 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

An acceptable way is oven-roasted, though, with chunks of onion, carrot, and cauliflower, drizzled with olive oil and/or butter and seasonings and roasted to fork tenderness.
Yes, love this, mostly I use zucchini and yellow squash with it. Sometimes add parmesan cheese on top. Also I toss with a bit of vinegar too to add that little zing. You can also top with feta cheese when it's done.

Sometimes I just use broccoli, vinegar, oil and salt and let it roast to well done so they are crispy little broccoli bites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 11:04 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

I agree! (although I accept that there are difference of opinion). I like broccoli cooked until it is tender. Roasted or steamed, both are good.

Crunchy broccoli, the way it often appears at Chinese restaurants where it seems to have just been passed briefly over a flame, is not tasty and it's hard to eat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2023, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I agree! (although I accept that there are difference of opinion). I like broccoli cooked until it is tender. Roasted or steamed, both are good.

Crunchy broccoli, the way it often appears at Chinese restaurants where it seems to have just been passed briefly over a flame, is not tasty and it's hard to eat.
Exactly. I don't like it raw in salads, either, although some people do.

I am not a great big broccoli fan overall in and of itself, but it does add flavor to some dishes, and I know it's good for me and it's widely available, so I eat it. But never ever have I said, "Gee, I am craving some broccoli..."

Old 10-14-2023, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
Yes, love this, mostly I use zucchini and yellow squash with it. Sometimes add parmesan cheese on top. Also I toss with a bit of vinegar too to add that little zing. You can also top with feta cheese when it's done.

Sometimes I just use broccoli, vinegar, oil and salt and let it roast to well done so they are crispy little broccoli bites.
Yes, squash works well with the roasted vegetables! Vinegar is a good idea. I like vinegar, will add that next time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss