Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 02:42 PM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times

Advertisements

You are what you eat....eating the wrong things can also make you sluggish. Veggies and fruits.....excerise to....but make sure it is something you are going to enjoy, or it won`t last. Maybe get a dog to walk....or become a dog walker, and make extra money too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 02:45 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,000,279 times
There is this clinic, I think in Japan but I'm not sure. You go there for two weeks to lose weight. And each person (client) gets a personal assistant. You eat outside in nature, and the assistant feeds you with a fork. And you have to chew each bite a number of times (I forgot). You are not supposed to get the next bite, first you have to finish chewing the first one. And it takes a lot of time to finish the meal. And you lose weight. And it's only 10 000 dollars for 2 weeks or something like that. A bargain!

Old 10-07-2023, 06:12 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Yeah, I'm thinking of getting rid of all my silverware, and just eating with my fingers from now on.
Let me know if that makes a difference!

I might try eating everything with chopsticks. That should help keep my ice cream consumption down.

Old 10-07-2023, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
You are what you eat....eating the wrong things can also make you sluggish. Veggies and fruits.....excerise to....but make sure it is something you are going to enjoy, or it won`t last. Maybe get a dog to walk....or become a dog walker, and make extra money too.
Walking a dog isn't really exercise, though. It's stop and start while they pee 50 times or find things to sniff.

I go walking in a park that has two paved loops totaling a little over two miles, and you can also step off the paved paths in several places to take alternate paths through woods along a reservoir. I listen to either audiobooks or Crime Junkie while I walk.

Alternatively, the beach town nearest to me has a mile-long boardwalk. I park at one end, walk to the other, and turn around and walk back. Peaceful now in the off-season with the bennies gone (Jersey term for summer shore people, lol) but still beautiful along the beach and ocean.

Old 10-07-2023, 07:35 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times
I kinda have a very good grasp on how much food, how many calories I need to operate
at a normal-level. Covid/no-Covid, it really has no impact on this technique.

No, I do not weigh food. But I do accurately guesstimate who many calories I am taking-in, and I keep those calories within the guidelines I have for caloric-intake.

I may want a medium whole-chicken for dinner......but no, my body in no
way needs that much food.

Old 10-07-2023, 09:55 AM

7,061 posts, read 4,510,340 times
The key to getting exercise with a dog is to devote the first 15 minutes to meandering and sniffing. After that you walk briskly with no stops. Fairly quickly the dog learns the routine and cooperates.

When Covid hit I was fat, old and had some medical issues. The only thing I could change was the fat part. I have always exercised. I weighed and measured everything and ate 1600 calories a day. What I realized is that except for milk in my coffee I could only drink water because you can drink a lot of calories. I lost 50lbs and was 66.

Losing weight really helped my HBP and sleep apnea. While I still have both conditions I now only need one pill for the HBP and have mild apnea instead of severe.

Old 10-07-2023, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
The key to getting exercise with a dog is to devote the first 15 minutes to meandering and sniffing. After that you walk briskly with no stops. Fairly quickly the dog learns the routine and cooperates.

When Covid hit I was fat, old and had some medical issues. The only thing I could change was the fat part. I have always exercised. I weighed and measured everything and ate 1600 calories a day. What I realized is that except for milk in my coffee I could only drink water because you can drink a lot of calories. I lost 50lbs and was 66.

Losing weight really helped my HBP and sleep apnea. While I still have both conditions I now only need one pill for the HBP and have mild apnea instead of severe.
I found that, too. It's too easy to drink calories, even though I was never a soda person. Mostly water for me, but half and half in the morning coffee and sometimes wine, but not every day anymore.

Fifty pounds is an accomplishment. Nice work.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:15 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Let me know if that makes a difference!

I might try eating everything with chopsticks. That should help keep my ice cream consumption down.
LOL. Chopsticks.

The easiest way is not to buy junk food/desserts to begin with, then there's no temptation. We never have that stuff in the house. :Why do dieting people bring home foods that will tempt them?

Eating very slowly really helps. It takes me forever to eat and I over-masticate all my food. DH is done an hour before I am. But, I don't have much appetite and am never hungry.

Since we're retired, nothing changed during Covid for us, neither did our weight. I already had an exercise bike and an elliptical in the house so my routine (every day for an hour) never changed.

We drink though, that's our "sin". But no soda, lol.

Old 10-07-2023, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
LOL. Chopsticks.

The easiest way is not to buy junk food/desserts to begin with, then there's no temptation. We never have that stuff in the house. :Why do dieting people bring home foods that will tempt them?

Eating very slowly really helps. It takes me forever to eat and I over-masticate all my food. DH is done an hour before I am. But, I don't have much appetite and am never hungry.

Since we're retired, nothing changed during Covid for us, neither did our weight. I already had an exercise bike and an elliptical in the house so my routine (every day for an hour) never changed.

We drink though, that's our "sin". But no soda, lol.
Exactly. Joking about the ice cream with chopsticks, because it's not something I buy or keep in the house. Same eith any sweets. If they are here, I will eat them.

I learned to be more aware of not being hungry and to not eat emotionally. I realized I was doing that. Angry, sad, feeling alone, eating made me feel better...temporarily. But it made me fat.

I did not have that problem when I was young and thin. I developed it when I was married. It was a way to keep down the sadness and anger and disappointment of being married and realizing I was not really loved, I guess. Took a while to understand that's what I was doing, of course.

Now I know to check and see if I am actually hungry or just not dealing with an emotion.

Old 10-09-2023, 01:55 AM

11 posts, read 10,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghobi View Post
I gained 5-6 lbs in covid by being less active, diet pretty healthy. I find losing fat a bit of a yo yo esp. since I pt caregive and being around others can mess up my routine, but still trying to drop 5 lbs.

Have you done a check up ? Thyroid? My Dr. however says my subclinical thyroid accounts for 5 lbs really though.

You might want to post a food diary. That helps pinpoint what’s going on, including sleep, stress.

I eat my comfort foods but swap healthier ingredients, avoid sugar/ wheat( inflammatory and addictive)focus on fiber( 35 g) vegetables, protein grams- not high protein, just not inadequate protein, adequate sleep and water daily, plus try to exercise consistently-not so great.

But diet is more controllable for me than exercise, though I really see benefits from exercise like how my clothes feel.

Oh know food triggers- what leads to binging, and avoid keeping snacks in the house, eat whole, unprocessed foods. Be hydrated- I drink soothing teas- can be caffeinated or not, even chewing xylitol gum can distract from eating.

I would intermittent fast minimum 12-14-16 hrs. I’m a bit flexible.
Food prep so you don’t need to eat take out. Pre wash vegetables for snacking.
I wish it was 5 or 6 lbs, but yes i am less active. no i have not had a Thyroid check up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss