Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2023, 08:50 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkuk View Post
I've been less active these days and have been working from home a lot. The convenience of having snacks readily available, coupled with the comfort of stretchy clothing, has definitely made it easier for me to indulge in snacking

I used to think that exercise was a breeze, but now I find that even light exercise can be quite challenging. It's been a wake-up call for me. love to get back to me pre covid weight
You know what the problem is.

1) Don't buy snack foods
2) Reform your diet (substitute high calorie foods for low calorie foods)
3) Begin to exercise more. The more you do it, the easier it will become. Regain the habit of exercising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2023, 08:56 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Never really thought of my BMI, that shocking really to know and how much i would need to lose to make it NORMAL.
I would first concentrate on getting back to your pre-COVID weight. I'm guessing that's in the overweight/obese category as well, but you will be better off than you're now.

The key to successfully dieting down is setting very achievable goals, and you can keep adding goals once you achieve them one by one. If you set up right away to lose 100lbs, you might be discouraged or try to fad diet (lose the weight too quickly).

You should only lose, at most, 1% of your body weight per week. Given you're 16.5 stone, or 230lbs, to get to 130lbs, will take you 57 weeks, or approximately 1 year. Don't try to lose the weight quicker than that, it will metabolically mess up your body, and you will lose a lot of muscle mass.

If you're 5'3", you should fall somewhere between 110lbs to 140lbs.

My honest advice: enjoy the process.

Another hack I would use is to force yourself to walk/bike everywhere you go. Since you use the word "stone" I'm guessing you're in the UK. Should be very doable. Get a smart watch and shoot for 105,000 steps a week (15,000 weeks per day on average). Along with diet changes, you will comfortably cruise to a new and better you.

Old 12-06-2023, 08:46 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
I've been less active these days and have been working from home a lot. The convenience of having snacks readily available, coupled with the comfort of stretchy clothing, has definitely made it easier for me to indulge in snacking

I used to think that exercise was a breeze, but now I find that even light exercise can be quite challenging. It's been a wake-up call for me. love to get back to me pre covid weight
Yep, I think I see your issue: "having snacks readily available."

I'm reading a book right now called Hooked about our new foods and the food industry.

One fact leaped off the pages: "the average American eats daily 540 calories from snacks. That's about one-fourth of our daily calories.

Yikes!

Banish the snacks from your home. Unless they are things like carrot sticks or celery sticks. When the urge to snack hits you, drink some water, make a cup of herbal tea or munch on some veggies or sliced fruit like an apple..

Crackers, pretzels, chips, cookies, candy and such are not your friends.

And try to get an hour of exercise a day.

That could be an hour of yoga at home or a lunch-time walk outdoors. Or buy a used piece of equipment such as an exercise bike and use for breaks. Or a visit to a nearby gym. Rev up your metabolism.

Hope this helps!

(from one who has lost the Covid weight gain by doing the above! From 154 to a steady 138 lbs.)

Old 12-06-2023, 11:37 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Hello. I'm a 43 year old Male and I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I recently read about the Carnivore Diet and a study conducted by Harvard University. The results of the study blew my mind!! I was ready to try this diet myself and see if it would help me lose weight.

When I started the diet 11 weeks ago, I weighed in at 313 pounds. I am 5'11". Today, almost 11 weeks into the diet, I am 270 pounds and feel amazing. I eat Meat and animal-based products, that's it. I don't eat Sugars or Carbs, although I allow myself small cheat snacks here and there. I've lost 43 pounds to date and don't even have to go to the gym, which I have no motivation for anymore. I'm lifting weights at home to tone up a bit, more the weight is coming off fast. The last time I was 270 was back in like 2012. My goal is to get down to 225 and then increase my daily calories to maintain the weight and NOT gain it back. So far, so good. I feel like the diet has rid me of my Gout problem. I am eating mostly red meat (I love Ribeye Steaks) and have even started eating organ meat again (Love Beef Liver), and have not had a Gout flare up since I started the diet.

According to the Harvard Study, the diet has amazing health benefits. Below is a link you might find helpful.

https://www.doctorkiltz.com/the-harv...re-diet-study/

Old 01-02-2024, 07:19 AM

11 posts, read 10,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I would first concentrate on getting back to your pre-COVID weight. I'm guessing that's in the overweight/obese category as well, but you will be better off than you're now.

The key to successfully dieting down is setting very achievable goals, and you can keep adding goals once you achieve them one by one. If you set up right away to lose 100lbs, you might be discouraged or try to fad diet (lose the weight too quickly).

You should only lose, at most, 1% of your body weight per week. Given you're 16.5 stone, or 230lbs, to get to 130lbs, will take you 57 weeks, or approximately 1 year. Don't try to lose the weight quicker than that, it will metabolically mess up your body, and you will lose a lot of muscle mass.

If you're 5'3", you should fall somewhere between 110lbs to 140lbs.

My honest advice: enjoy the process.

Another hack I would use is to force yourself to walk/bike everywhere you go. Since you use the word "stone" I'm guessing you're in the UK. Should be very doable. Get a smart watch and shoot for 105,000 steps a week (15,000 weeks per day on average). Along with diet changes, you will comfortably cruise to a new and better you.
Yes that is right i am in the UK..

my pre Covid weight was 130/140lbs ish about 9/10st.. but from working form home, doing less and wearing lose clothing yes the weight has pack on.. and as a "excuse" Christmas has also help do a number on me.. put on a few more lbs., blushing

Old 01-02-2024, 08:18 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Hello. I'm a 43 year old Male and I have struggled with my weight my whole life. I recently read about the Carnivore Diet and a study conducted by Harvard University. The results of the study blew my mind!! I was ready to try this diet myself and see if it would help me lose weight.

According to the Harvard Study, the diet has amazing health benefits. Below is a link you might find helpful.

https://www.doctorkiltz.com/the-harv...re-diet-study/
I've been checking out the carnivore diet. It's a logical progression from low carb to keto to carnivore.

I've been doing low carb for years, and have lost all I need to lose, or I'd probably go for it! Well, also, I hate beef liver, and I know you need to eat organ meats to get full nutrition on the carnivore diet.

Best thing about low carb; you can do it kind of half ast, and still get good nutrition and weight loss.

Old 01-02-2024, 05:13 PM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I've been checking out the carnivore diet. It's a logical progression from low carb to keto to carnivore.

I've been doing low carb for years, and have lost all I need to lose, or I'd probably go for it! Well, also, I hate beef liver, and I know you need to eat organ meats to get full nutrition on the carnivore diet.

Best thing about low carb; you can do it kind of half ast, and still get good nutrition and weight loss.
I plan on incorporating carbs in low amounts once I get down to my desired weight. It’ll be trial and error until I figure out what works for my body, but I don’t plan to go back to the sugars. I love soda and baked goods but I hope to have the Will power to never make them part of my daily diet again.

I’m now at 259 pounds. I’ve lost 54 pounds in 3 months doing Carnivore. My friends are starting to jump into it now for new year’s. Today I bought two pairs of jeans size 40 waist. I haven’t been a size 40 since like 2006. Hope you find the diet/lifestyle that best meets your goals!

Old 01-03-2024, 07:16 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
I plan on incorporating carbs in low amounts once I get down to my desired weight. It’ll be trial and error until I figure out what works for my body, but I don’t plan to go back to the sugars. I love soda and baked goods but I hope to have the Will power to never make them part of my daily diet again.

I’m now at 259 pounds. I’ve lost 54 pounds in 3 months doing Carnivore. My friends are starting to jump into it now for new year’s. Today I bought two pairs of jeans size 40 waist. I haven’t been a size 40 since like 2006. Hope you find the diet/lifestyle that best meets your goals!
Some of us just have to accept that there are certain foods we can't eat, our body doesn't want them. I haven't had a soda since 1985 and I've survived. Over the years when I have eaten foods that I know aren't good for me, like homemade pie at family holidays, I've paid the price with stomachaches and even throwing up. It's just so much better to avoid those foods now that our bodies are healthier without them. Not worth it.

That's great that your friends are going to give it a try, best of luck to all of you too.

Old 01-03-2024, 07:49 AM

3,105 posts, read 1,000,279 times
I agree with KaraG.

I can't have sugar, carbs, caffeine or any stimulants. They give me insomnia.

Old 02-01-2024, 08:33 AM

11 posts, read 10,103 times
well i think that i have too many carbs and sugar over the winter after checking my new weight lol

Last edited by vkuk; 02-01-2024 at 08:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss