Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 08:38 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,587,259 times

Advertisements

Rapid weight loss is frequently temporary weight loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2024, 12:09 PM

5,143 posts, read 3,076,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Rapid weight loss is frequently temporary weight loss.
Sure, and it’s no surprise when people end their “diet” and return to the lifestyle choice of eating the same foods that made them obese in the first place.

Old 03-09-2024, 08:11 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Lost 73 pounds ten years ago on low carb (<60 g a day) and have kept a normal BMI since by living a low-carb lifestyle. Forget about promoting it though, most folks and even doctors will tell you it’s unhealthy.
True, what you say!

I still eat some non-wheat carbs: brown rice, potatoes (without butter & sour cream) and other lesser known carbs such as quinoa, lentils, barley. And beans. Lots of veggies, some fruits, seafood, eggs, white-meat poultry! It's not a diet. It's a sustainable lifestyle.

Sadly, not too many Western-trained doctors know a goodly amount about nutrition. It's not emphasized in med school. And many patients don't want to change their diets permanently. Hence the growing popularity of weight loss medications.

Old 03-11-2024, 11:22 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
True, what you say!

I still eat some non-wheat carbs: brown rice, potatoes (without butter & sour cream) and other lesser known carbs such as quinoa, lentils, barley. And beans. Lots of veggies, some fruits, seafood, eggs, white-meat poultry! It's not a diet. It's a sustainable lifestyle.

Sadly, not too many Western-trained doctors know a goodly amount about nutrition. It's not emphasized in med school. And many patients don't want to change their diets permanently. Hence the growing popularity of weight loss medications.
Fun fact, ice cream has a lower Glycemic Index than brown race or potatoes.

https://www.ifafitness.com/book/glycemic.htm

Old 03-12-2024, 07:27 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
I'm down about 16 pounds since the beginning of January. What really jump started it for me was doing the Cabbage Soup Diet for a week in mid February. It made me more mindful of the fat and protein that I had in my diet - calories do matter even on Keto. It made me realize how much butter, cheese and processed foods had creeped into my diet.

The Cabbage Soup diet is not a long term diet by any means. In fact, you are only supposed to do it for a week and then wait at least two weeks before you do it again.

It's a diet that's been around for a long time, it's nothing new. There are some weird rules concerning what you can eat on the various days - like one day you can eat cabbage soup and up to 8 bananas and more skim milk than you would ever want. That day was not my fave to say the least. There's another day when you can have a baked potato. And on day 5 & 6 you can enjoy eating meat. At any rate, I thought I'd toss this one out there in case you think your body needs a "reset".

Old 03-12-2024, 09:10 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I'm down about 16 pounds since the beginning of January. What really jump started it for me was doing the Cabbage Soup Diet for a week in mid February. It made me more mindful of the fat and protein that I had in my diet - calories do matter even on Keto. It made me realize how much butter, cheese and processed foods had creeped into my diet.

The Cabbage Soup diet is not a long term diet by any means. In fact, you are only supposed to do it for a week and then wait at least two weeks before you do it again.

It's a diet that's been around for a long time, it's nothing new. There are some weird rules concerning what you can eat on the various days - like one day you can eat cabbage soup and up to 8 bananas and more skim milk than you would ever want. That day was not my fave to say the least. There's another day when you can have a baked potato. And on day 5 & 6 you can enjoy eating meat. At any rate, I thought I'd toss this one out there in case you think your body needs a "reset".
I'm not a big fan of fad diets, since people generally just put the weight back on when they stop. You lost 16lbs in 2.5 months, assuming that is all fat (some will be water, and even muscle), is like 6.5lbs a month, or 1/5 a lb a day, which translates to a calorie deficit per day of 750.

Cabbage soup is a very low calorie food, as soon as you begin eating again, you will erase this calorie deficit, and maybe even go into a surplus.

I'd suggest being very vigilant as you go back on your normal eating routine.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I'm not a big fan of fad diets, since people generally just put the weight back on when they stop. You lost 16lbs in 2.5 months, assuming that is all fat (some will be water, and even muscle), is like 6.5lbs a month, or 1/5 a lb a day, which translates to a calorie deficit per day of 750.

Cabbage soup is a very low calorie food, as soon as you begin eating again, you will erase this calorie deficit, and maybe even go into a surplus.

I'd suggest being very vigilant as you go back on your normal eating routine.
I've upped my exercise and reduced the calories that I'm eating. My fasting blood sugar was prediabetic, it isn't now. When you get your blood sugar into normal range your body changes.

It was the mindless - a little cheese on this and that, a handful of nuts there, butter on things that didn't need butter plus the addition of processed foods into my diet that I have gotten a handle on.

I can tell you that I notice that I'm lighter on my morning walks. It's nice not hefting those 16 pounds uphill!
And, trust me, I don't want them back.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:45 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
I've upped my exercise and reduced the calories that I'm eating. My fasting blood sugar was prediabetic, it isn't now. When you get your blood sugar into normal range your body changes.

It was the mindless - a little cheese on this and that, a handful of nuts there, butter on things that didn't need butter plus the addition of processed foods into my diet that I have gotten a handle on.

I can tell you that I notice that I'm lighter on my morning walks. It's nice not hefting those 16 pounds uphill!
And, trust me, I don't want them back.
Practicing mindful eating would probably be better than resurrecting a fad diet that was briefly popular 40 years ago.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Practicing mindful eating would probably be better than resurrecting a fad diet that was briefly popular 40 years ago.
It was literally a week of the Cabbage Diet. I'm not saying people should eat like that all the time.

We're entering mid March and I'm back on it again - just for this week. I actually find it a lot more sensible than fasting. You're eating vegetables and fruits and towards the end you add in simply prepared lean meat - steak, chicken, eggs, fish.

I actually like the soup and I make some delicious leafy green salads, I don't mind snacking on carrots and celery so it works for me. YMMV, of course.

Old 03-13-2024, 05:00 PM

2,471 posts, read 2,692,112 times
I am 61 and weigh what I did as a senior in High School. I practice 16/8 intermittent fasting and an avoid white foods: pasta, rice, bread, potatoes, crackers, etc.
16/8 is eating within an 8 hour window, then nothing but black coffee, tea or water for 16 hours. It works, slowly, about 1/2 lb a week and it’s sustainable.
I initially lost 14 lbs and now just do it as a lifestyle to maintain my weight.
I still drink beer and wine without weight gain.

Just to add some insight to a comment above, nuts, cheese and berries along with butter are good for you. Sugar and carbs are the bad guys. Eat lots of fiber too, it counteracts carbs because they will absorb slower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss