Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 12:09 PM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times

Advertisements

There's some research that suggests that your gut microbiome can influence your food choices.

Different gut bacteria digest different kinds of food--red meat, veggies, sugar, etc.
If you don't eat much of a type of food, those bacteria die off, or at least their population is greatly reduced.

This is why vegetarians often have issues when they eat meat.

If you stop eating carbs, those bacteria mostly die off, and you lose "your" craving for carbs. But if you then eat carbs, the population blossoms, and cravings return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2024, 01:48 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
There's some research that suggests that your gut microbiome can influence your food choices.

Different gut bacteria digest different kinds of food--red meat, veggies, sugar, etc.
If you don't eat much of a type of food, those bacteria die off, or at least their population is greatly reduced.

This is why vegetarians often have issues when they eat meat.

If you stop eating carbs, those bacteria mostly die off, and you lose "your" craving for carbs. But if you then eat carbs, the population blossoms, and cravings return.
There's also some research that gut microbiome can cause skin cancer, diabetes, glaucoma, brain aneurism, heart disease, broken hips, toenail fungus, warts, a runny nose, acne, color-blindness, vaginosis, STDs, erectile dysfunction, psychosis, and chronic hoarding.

The only cure is to remove your gut. No gut - no disease. Enjoy the feeding tubes.

Old 04-11-2024, 05:00 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I've been rigidly counting calories and dropped 10 lbs doing that. Then things got stuck. Some days it even creeped up a little. My daily calorie goal is 1200 calories, and it occasionally hits 1300. Other times 1150. But this calorie counting scheme has me hungry mostly all the time. If I'm busy, no problem. Being active either mentally or physically works well, sitting around is when I'm always hungry.

A week ago I got sick of how this weight loss had stopped working and how I was always hungry, and went to skipping breakfast and delayed eating my first meal until 1-2 PM. Now a little weight comes off every day and I'm not even hungry until that 1-2 PM. It also feels like I'm getting plenty of food this way. Even though I may still be hungry after I finished that first meal, I get to splurge and snack a little because I'm only eating for the rest of my waking time, which is now only 8-10 hours instead of all day long.
Yes, as others have noted, this habit of no evening snacking and then no breakfast is a form of intermittent fasting. I have actually never tried it, but my sister in law, who's maybe 68yo said she has had good success with it. I will probably get around to trying it at some point myself, because I lost 10lb and still need to lose a good deal more, so I obviously need to change up my approach.

Old 04-12-2024, 04:31 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Made it. 150.7 lbs. Been hitting the gym every other day, biking, eating a lot of protein like fish (chicken seems to have 2X the calories per oz), not many carbs, 160 cal cans of Progresso soups.

Love these 25 cal tortillas. You can find bigger ones in 45-60 calories and cut them down, but the 25 cal ones work out to be cheaper. A delicious and relatively filling salmon or whiting taco w/ lettuce, wild rice mix, horseradish sauce, jalapeno and salsa is only 100 cal. These are small tortillas but 2 are really filling. Lots of caffeine. I may shoot for a straight 150 lbs.

Now to figure out a way to maintain this. The key to getting it off was to stay under 1,000 cal a day. That still left me w/ 50-80 cal for sweets and 100 for my nightly shot of Bourbon. 2 years ago I did the Keto diet and nothing happened for a long time, then it suddenly kicked in and the weight came off very quickly. Really, really unhealthy diet, I'll never do it again, this one is healthy and works.

I spend about $80 a mo for frozen wild caught pink salmon and whiting w/ an occasional piece of wild caught sockeye salmon at $11 lb. Maybe $25 a mo for chkn breast or tenderloins. Total groc bill for one runs $200-280, plus $17 a mo for Bourbon. I like fire roasted green chili in a lot of things, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, squash, mustard greens and lettuce for salads, garlic stuffed olives, ginger, heart of palm linguine, a dozen eggs, soups, frozen blue berries, green onions, red onions, garlic, red grapefruit, apples, sometimes a fresh pineapple, a few 200 cal TV dinners of broccoli and chkn, coffee, dark chocolate, chocolate Junior Mints, dried dates etc. Almost no oils or PB, even olive oil has an amazing amount of calories. No cookies, cake, pie or donuts :>(

Last edited by stephenMM; 04-12-2024 at 04:49 AM..

Old 04-12-2024, 08:51 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Made it. 150.7 lbs. Been hitting the gym every other day, biking, eating a lot of protein like fish (chicken seems to have 2X the calories per oz), not many carbs, 160 cal cans of Progresso soups.

Love these 25 cal tortillas. You can find bigger ones in 45-60 calories and cut them down, but the 25 cal ones work out to be cheaper. A delicious and relatively filling salmon or whiting taco w/ lettuce, wild rice mix, horseradish sauce, jalapeno and salsa is only 100 cal. These are small tortillas but 2 are really filling. Lots of caffeine. I may shoot for a straight 150 lbs.

Now to figure out a way to maintain this. The key to getting it off was to stay under 1,000 cal a day. That still left me w/ 50-80 cal for sweets and 100 for my nightly shot of Bourbon. 2 years ago I did the Keto diet and nothing happened for a long time, then it suddenly kicked in and the weight came off very quickly. Really, really unhealthy diet, I'll never do it again, this one is healthy and works.

I spend about $80 a mo for frozen wild caught pink salmon and whiting w/ an occasional piece of wild caught sockeye salmon at $11 lb. Maybe $25 a mo for chkn breast or tenderloins. Total groc bill for one runs $200-280, plus $17 a mo for Bourbon. I like fire roasted green chili in a lot of things, tomatoes, bell peppers, broccoli, squash, mustard greens and lettuce for salads, garlic stuffed olives, ginger, heart of palm linguine, a dozen eggs, soups, frozen blue berries, green onions, red onions, garlic, red grapefruit, apples, sometimes a fresh pineapple, a few 200 cal TV dinners of broccoli and chkn, coffee, dark chocolate, chocolate Junior Mints, dried dates etc. Almost no oils or PB, even olive oil has an amazing amount of calories. No cookies, cake, pie or donuts :>(
Good job!

Old 04-12-2024, 06:34 PM

579 posts, read 319,335 times
Quote:

But is weight on the scale as important as other measurements- body fat %, muscle, belly measurement, etc. What if you’re losing muscle, which leads to frailty in older ages.

And why be taking bourbon shots nightly? Seems an addiction that leads to nothing good. Leaving that out could improve the belly fat and possibly liver fat…and improve your metabolism and overall health.

Old 04-13-2024, 08:01 AM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghobi View Post
But is weight on the scale as important as other measurements- body fat %, muscle, belly measurement, etc. What if you’re losing muscle, which leads to frailty in older ages.

And why be taking bourbon shots nightly? Seems an addiction that leads to nothing good. Leaving that out could improve the belly fat and possibly liver fat…and improve your metabolism and overall health.
How could someone be losing muscle mass when ingesting a diet high in protein, and exercising every other day at the gym?

Normally, muscle mass disappears for two reasons (that I know of): lack of exercise, and starvation.

Old 04-16-2024, 05:59 AM

579 posts, read 319,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
How could someone be losing muscle mass when ingesting a diet high in protein, and exercising every other day at the gym?

Normally, muscle mass disappears for two reasons (that I know of): lack of exercise, and starvation.
I’m just saying op seems to look at the scale going lower as “ fat loss”. Why not take a Dexa or other before or after a diet , and at this age one needs to add muscle which will weigh more, so the scale will go up beyond a coveted number…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss