Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 05:45 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,352,167 times

Advertisements

My doc ran an ANA screen on me, which was negative. However, I am positive SSA Sjogren's. I was prescribed Plaquenil for the next three months. My symptoms included a pain in my chest that felt like a heart attack on exertion, arthritis in the knee, osteoporosis, general achy feeling (like flu), hot flashes and foggy brain (thought it was early menopause but maybe not!), and fatigue. I also had a mysterious rash two times a few months ago that my primary thought was shingles. My eyes get red and itchy but I just thought it was the result of too much computer use! I also have sinusitis and get bronchitis at least once a year.

Anyway, I am wondering ...
1) Is the positive SSA the one thing that diagnoses Sjogren's or is it a combination of that, plus other symptoms
2) Is it possible that I have Lupus even though my ANA was negative (FYI - my first cousin has Lupus).
3) My dad has non-Hodgkins lymphoma. His symptoms are very similar to mine. I'm now thinking that he might have Sjogren's too. Not sure if there is a genetic component.
4) Are there any foods that I should avoid or increase?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by queensgrl; 10-18-2011 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: additions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 06:59 AM

420 posts, read 1,368,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by queensgrl View Post
My doc ran an ANA screen on me, which was negative. However, I am positive SSA Sjogren's. I was prescribed Plaquenil for the next three months. My symptoms included a pain in my chest that felt like a heart attack on exertion, arthritis in the knee, osteoporosis, general achy feeling (like flu), hot flashes and foggy brain (thought it was early menopause but maybe not!), and fatigue. I also had a mysterious rash two times a few months ago that my primary thought was shingles. My eyes get red and itchy but I just thought it was the result of too much computer use! I also have sinusitis and get bronchitis at least once a year.

Anyway, I am wondering ...
1) Is the positive SSA the one thing that diagnoses Sjogren's or is it a combination of that, plus other symptoms
2) Is it possible that I have Lupus even though my ANA was negative (FYI - my first cousin has Lupus).
3) My dad has non-Hodgkins lymphoma. His symptoms are very similar to mine. I'm now thinking that he might have Sjogren's too. Not sure if there is a genetic component.
4) Are there any foods that I should avoid or increase?

Thanks!!!

I can only answer the last one, based on this thread, and mine and others success, try cutting out grains and see if it has any effect. Seems to work for some and not others.

Also, cutting out caffeine seems to help, but I couldnt keep that up. Also, I think anything else that dehydrates you, like alcohol in general... which is another thing I can never seem to 100% cut out.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 6,543 times
Default Diet for Sjogrens Syndrome

I have gained alot weight due to the thyroid problems. I also suffer from severe GORD and gastroparesis, so makes my diet somewhat deficient.
I cannot swallow bread, meats, chicken, salad vegetables as they do not digest. I eat soups and yoghurts mainly and yet am still gaining weight.
I don't feel like it's my body anymore. I have always been thin and eaten a good diet.

Has anyone else had these problems as part of their Sjogrens Syndrome?

Last night was really bad with extremely dry mouth and broken sleep - today I'm exhausted.

Any suggesions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 11-14-2011, 06:52 PM

4,152 posts, read 7,935,874 times
I have dry eye and notice it is better or even goes away when I take fish oil or krill oil regularly. Its anti inflammatory and really helps.

Old 01-15-2012, 05:45 PM

4 posts, read 24,776 times
Jan 15 / 2012
I came across this blog yesterday....
I have known I have Sjrogren's since I was about 33-34 I am now 51
recently I have wondered if I am allergic to soy....
and need gluten free foods

2 weeks a go I starting drinking a meal replacement shake called Visalus...
well
I started having constipation, and bloating, and foul smelling gas... and headaches
and I was itchy
i want to loos weight so I kept drinking them
they are delicious and I know quite a few people using Visalus.
anyway
long story short
after reading this blog... and others I realized
since I have Sjrogrens... I CANT have SOY
or wheat, grains....
and I have been using very little dairy for a long time knowing it bothered me

Old 01-15-2012, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria Ballard View Post
I have gained alot weight due to the thyroid problems. I also suffer from severe GORD and gastroparesis, so makes my diet somewhat deficient.
I cannot swallow bread, meats, chicken, salad vegetables as they do not digest. I eat soups and yoghurts mainly and yet am still gaining weight.
I don't feel like it's my body anymore. I have always been thin and eaten a good diet.

Has anyone else had these problems as part of their Sjogrens Syndrome?

Last night was really bad with extremely dry mouth and broken sleep - today I'm exhausted.

Any suggesions will be greatly appreciated.
i gained weight after every baby- 40 pounds each pregnancy ( after the birth) not during pregnancy..---
i gained 120 !!!
doctor tested my thiroid, says im fine... but naturopath says there is a chance Im still ahving problem as normal blood test doesnt test for a full panel or scan

so I'm taking B5 to stimulate my metabolism

i hope it helps

Old 01-16-2012, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faye55 View Post
I was having horrible pain when rising in the morning. I could barely stand on my feet it hurt so bad. I read someone else that had the same problem and said peanuts made it worse so I gave up eating peanut butter and the pain went away. What works for me may not work for you, but good luck! Hang in there, the key to making it better I believe is changing ones diet.
I have horrible pain in my feet... so much soo this past few months I cant handle the pain....
i didnt know peanut butter was a trigger. or possible trigger..
these last few months I didnt have any peanut butter
so it must be something else..
I am going to do an elimination diet,
and go gluten free
and also look at stopping all grains...
caffeine is my biggest problem I think

i go for reflexology and that has helped me alot

hope that people are still reading all the SJrogren's threads...

Old 01-20-2012, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 6,166 times
I "stumbled" onto these older posts via my friend "Google"

I have had dry mouth for at least 3 years. Dry eyes is something a little more recent. I finally got a SS diagnosis. I also have Bronchiectasis and was diagnosed with this before I got the diagnosis for SS (although I had all the symptoms long before). I don't know if one has anything to do with the other. I am on all kinds of nebulizers and inhalers for the lung problem......lots of shortness of breath. I am also now using Restassis for my eyes as well as preservative free eye drops during the day.

I am very interested in the "no-grain" diet I read about here. This is something I want to try and speak to the pulmonologist about.

Any suggestions from anyone are welcomed.

Old 01-21-2012, 03:27 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,515,246 times
I just read a book, forgot name but the guy said alot of these symptoms is cause (he believes) by the antiboitics build up over time that we ate in our meat supply. Just passing this along.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 16,200 times
Hello, I'm 29 and my Dr. has recently tested me for Sjogren's Syndrome. The main most irritating symptoms that I suffer from is pain in my knees and dry mouth. Can anyone tell me if they have a difficult time eating as much as I do. When I try to chew, especially with my back teeth they feel like they are going to crack or break off. I get so scared each time I eat, so I barely eat anything. I did go to the dentist just recently who told me I had no cavities, but he knew right away that I suffered from dry mouth. But can anyone tell me if they experience the same problems and what can be done to help? I'm getting so frustrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss