Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 06:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,158 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am a 39 yrs. old woman, 5'5 and weight 188lbs. I woould like to loose weight the right way but I just can't see any results. I belong to a gym. I have not been there for almost a year. I stoped going because they encouraged me to lift weight. I did just that. I did that for almost about a year. I didn't loose weight, I gained. Yes, I know it was muscles, but the fat didn't go away. What I want is get leaner and look leaner. My arms got so big that my sisters were making fun of me. I had to stop lifting weight. Since then I lost all the muscles I gained, still have big fat arms and big all over. I read in the web that the best thing to do if you are over weight is to loose the fat first then start lifting weights. So now what I am doing is walking 5 miles or burn 500 cals. at day on a treamill. Here is what I was thinking, would it be a good idea to loose the fat using a weight lost pill like Alli, and then start lifting weight, would it work? or Would I gain the weight (fat) back once I reach my goal and start lifting weight?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 06:31 PM

123 posts, read 295,599 times
moderate to heavy cardio and a healthy diet are your best bets for losing weight

Old 07-09-2008, 11:06 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,967,745 times
Hi Fall, welcome to the Forum.

The fact that you gained weight while working out leads me to believe that your nutrition plan needs to tweaked. Could you give us an idea of the type of nutrition plan (eating habits) you are on?

Secondly, DO NOT STOP LIFTING WEIGHTS. This is paramount to improving your health and losing your fat. Could you post the weight training routine that was given to you by your fitness consultant at the gym?

If you want to "get leaner and look leaner" you will need to develop some muscle tone (which is ONLY done by lifting weights) and reduce your body fat % which is done by following a healthy diet/nutrition plan AND cardio work. If you do this you will acheive your goals. Do not get on the scale for a couple months and just go by how you "FEEL" not by what the scale says.

Stay away from any so called "diet pill" or "fad diets". You want to get healthy you need to eat lean meats (protein - chicken breast, tuna), good carbs (wheat pasta, brown rice) green veggies (spinich, broccoli), good fruits in moderation (grapefruit, apples, bannanas but no grapes) and drink plenty of water. Stay away from crap like fried foods, sodas, sugary snacks, high fat foods, etc.

Old 07-09-2008, 09:13 PM

1,294 posts, read 6,487,574 times
why no grapes? and btw... the crap foods are good!! i've always wanted to know why white rice and regular pasta is bad for you. is it that bad? don't you get tired of eating chicken and tuna everyday? how do you mix up your chicken flavor? you eat it the same way every night or do you add some flavor to it? marinate it? or cook it in some mixture of something? and do you do chicken out of a can or good tuna from the seafood section?

one last question. we're doing triathlon training and our workouts are pretty hard (so far b/c we not in great shape). yesterday we swam for an hour straight in the pool, about 2000 meters and today 45 minutes on the bike - so by the time we're finished, we're well, pooped. so when do we weight lift? we have 2 days off per week, so should we weight lift those days? unfortunately it doesn't look like weight training is going to be in our scheduled work outs (from our triathlon trainer)
thanks dabeez!

Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
There is nothing wrong with grapes. What are you talking about?

You wont lose weight on working out alone without watching how much you eat. When you increase your activity you increase your hunger. You body gets used to exercise and burns less doing the same thing after awhile. Do you count your calories?
Do you like your exercise routine? I think its better to pick an exercise thats cardio for internal health that you will stick to (like your walking) And not the ideal exercise that you wont stick to. (like lifting?) Otherwise you are going to start doing the yo-yo dieter thing and thats not good.

Alli just blocks fat. Going low fat would have a similar type of effect. You see when the body eats fats its the easiest thing for it to store. Its why a high fat diet can stall some people or slow losses. Any pill or booster stops working in about 6 weeks. Its better to just take a multi-vitamin. A well nourished body will release weight more easily.

Why white rice and regular pasta is bad for you. is it that bad?
It has a high glycemic index & it can be turned to sugar and then to fat if not used right away. All processed foods are stripped of nutrient content and fiber amts and loses value.

don't you get tired of eating chicken and tuna everyday?
Who said you have to eat meat everyday? You can eat a reasonable amount of red meat on a balaced diet as well. Tuna shouldnt be eaten every day. Its really high in mercury content. It depends on your weight but its limited to 2 cans or so usually going by common weights. There are other lean meats: pork, shellfish, bison, emu, turkey, deer. Other protien sources: dairy, eggs, beans, whey, nuts, fruits, veggies, super green foods etc...

how do you mix up your chicken flavor? you eat it the same way every night or do you add some flavor to it? marinate it? or cook it in some mixture of something? and do you do chicken out of a can or good tuna from the seafood section?

Buy a cookbook or check out recipes online. I like it simple and go for stir fry or salad or soup or broiled in spices.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:26 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,971,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fall21 View Post
Hi,
I am a 39 yrs. old woman, 5'5 and weight 188lbs. I woould like to loose weight the right way but I just can't see any results. I belong to a gym. I have not been there for almost a year. I stoped going because they encouraged me to lift weight. I did just that. I did that for almost about a year. I didn't loose weight, I gained. Yes, I know it was muscles, but the fat didn't go away. What I want is get leaner and look leaner. My arms got so big that my sisters were making fun of me. I had to stop lifting weight. Since then I lost all the muscles I gained, still have big fat arms and big all over. I read in the web that the best thing to do if you are over weight is to loose the fat first then start lifting weights. So now what I am doing is walking 5 miles or burn 500 cals. at day on a treamill.
Losing fat starts with what you eat. Treadmill can help (a bit), lifting weights can help (a lot more). The absolute primary ingredient in fat loss is proper nutrition. There is no way around this.

When you were lifting weight before what was nutrition like? You were most likely over eating.

Quote:
Here is what I was thinking, would it be a good idea to loose the fat using a weight lost pill like Alli, and then start lifting weight, would it work? or Would I gain the weight (fat) back once I reach my goal and start lifting weight?

Does anyone have any suggestions?
You really want anal leakage, don't you? Read the side effects for that pill.

If you don't change your eating habits for good, you will keep coming back to your current self. The one thing I'm not seeing in your post is how you changed your eating habits. This tells me you didn't, though it should have been the first thing on your list.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
good fruits in moderation (grapefruit, apples, bannanas but no grapes) and drink plenty of water.
dabeez - you there?

Old 07-10-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
There is nothing wrong with grapes. What are you talking about?
my post was directed towards dabeez, sorry i wasn't clear.

Quote:
Why white rice and regular pasta is bad for you. is it that bad?
It has a high glycemic index & it can be turned to sugar and then to fat if not used right away. All processed foods are stripped of nutrient content and fiber amts and loses value.
okay - thanks!

Quote:
don't you get tired of eating chicken and tuna everyday?
Who said you have to eat meat everyday? You can eat a reasonable amount of red meat on a balaced diet as well. Tuna shouldnt be eaten every day. Its really high in mercury content. It depends on your weight but its limited to 2 cans or so usually going by common weights. There are other lean meats: pork, shellfish, bison, emu, turkey, deer. Other protien sources: dairy, eggs, beans, whey, nuts, fruits, veggies, super green foods etc...
i just can't cook... at all. so i get frustrated trying to eat healthy.

Quote:
how do you mix up your chicken flavor? you eat it the same way every night or do you add some flavor to it? marinate it? or cook it in some mixture of something? and do you do chicken out of a can or good tuna from the seafood section?

Buy a cookbook or check out recipes online. I like it simple and go for stir fry or salad or soup or broiled in spices.
oh i have tons. hubby doesn't eat hardly anything green so no salads and like i said, i'm awful at cooking. AWFUL!

Old 07-11-2008, 01:36 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Have you ever tried any "raw diet" type recipes?
Theres no cooking in that. Anyway ..cooking just takes practice and a good set of pans.

Old 07-11-2008, 09:58 AM

that doesn't sound tasty.... i like chicken and pork (alright) and fish and all that - i just get tired of cooking chicken and pork every night. i'm kind of a foodie that can't cook - so sad. and... i don't even want to practice anymore! i'm fed up! haha, maybe i'll drop in on the cooking forum. thanks for the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss