Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2008, 12:07 PM

264 posts, read 2,144,205 times

Advertisements

Well I started my weight loss plan about 3 months ago and have already taken off 22lbs. When I started I was a 290lb man at 5'10" but I began a plan I started through motivation from my sweetheart Cathrine.

I constructed at track to walk in my back yard, one lap is equal to 1/8th of a mile. I started by walking about a mile a day on the track before work. I am now up to 4 miles a day (2 before work, and 2 after dinner). My Cathrine has been walking with me too. I changed my diet from Cheeseburgers and Hotdogs to Eggs and Salads. I quit drinking soda and beer and now drink fruit juices and teas.

I am hoping by October to be down 60lbs from my beginning weight and I think it is possible. If anyone has and suggestions feel free to post here and help with the motivation.

Reading the stories on this forum helped motivate me to start my plan, I have just now manned up and started my first thread. Thanks for such a positive atmosphere on these forums. God Bless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Sounds like you are on the right track!

some food subs:

If you like hot dogs try a veggie dog. They are a lot lower in cals and fat. I think they taste alright too.

Like burgers - make em turkey and blend with a bit of beef for flavor

Instead of any mayo even low fat mayo - try unflavored greek yogurt in tuna salads etc

Make a veggie bomb for dinner - check out stir frys. I think its a nice easy and fast alternative to salad.

Eggs are suppose to be 4/wk max - If you have more than that try having some nuts instead.

Keep on working it!

Good luck!

Old 07-22-2008, 12:16 PM

264 posts, read 2,144,205 times
Thanks for the suggestions on more foods. I will give them a try.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:16 PM

1,240 posts, read 3,970,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dariusz View Post
Well I started my weight loss plan about 3 months ago and have already taken off 22lbs. When I started I was a 290lb man at 5'10" but I began a plan I started through motivation from my sweetheart Cathrine.
Congrats! That's a hell of a good weight to start running away from.

Quote:
I constructed at track to walk in my back yard, one lap is equal to 1/8th of a mile. I started by walking about a mile a day on the track before work. I am now up to 4 miles a day (2 before work, and 2 after dinner). My Cathrine has been walking with me too. I changed my diet from Cheeseburgers and Hotdogs to Eggs and Salads. I quit drinking soda and beer and now drink fruit juices and teas.
Look carefully at the nutrition labels on teh fruit juices- they are likely high in sugar. I'd skip them in favor of water.

Are you planning to start weight training soon? It'll be extremely beneficial for you as you lose fat.

Quote:
I am hoping by October to be down 60lbs from my beginning weight and I think it is possible. If anyone has and suggestions feel free to post here and help with the motivation.

Reading the stories on this forum helped motivate me to start my plan, I have just now manned up and started my first thread. Thanks for such a positive atmosphere on these forums. God Bless.
Start weight training to go along with your modified diet and cardio routine, that's the best advice I can give you.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:08 AM

519 posts, read 1,697,501 times
I AM SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!!!!

You may want to take "before" and "after" pictures to help motivated you. It's hard sometimes to tell (by looking at yourself) that you're skinnier. But if you have pictures, it will provide visual motivation -- "I looked like THAT?!?!"

Old 07-25-2008, 03:18 PM

3,086 posts, read 6,273,572 times
I'm also pumped up on losing! I decided about 4 months ago to try to lose.. first time I had tried, diets always looked scary to me. I was down 25lbs this morning! I've about levelled off.. should lose about 5 more of fat and gain more muscle. I basically started walking w/ my wife about 1/2 - 3/4 hr a day and cut back on food.. smaller portions and very occasional sweets.

I no longer look at it as a diet but as a new way of life for me. I usually have a low-fat wrap or pita, salad, fruit for lunch, and then for supper (or dinner!) allow myself abit more. I drink lots of water. Giving up cookies was hard for me (I love to eat) but now I'm to the place where I can occasionally indulge in a cookie or ice-cream cone and not feel guilty.

Congrats on your weight loss! The hardest thing is just getting started, isn't it? And getting used to feeling hungry.. but that seems to get better with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss