Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 02:24 PM

540 posts, read 1,911,220 times

Advertisements

I'm watching my calories this week and working on burning them off by doing different cardio workouts, now if I eat something that has high carbs like a hamburger and bun, but it's low in carbs, at least the meat is, will my body burn those calories faster since no carbs are attached? Just curious how that works in this case. It's probably a weird question.
Thanks for any answers though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2008, 02:51 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyattE View Post
I'm watching my calories this week and working on burning them off by doing different cardio workouts, now if I eat something that has high carbs like a hamburger and bun, but it's low in carbs, at least the meat is, will my body burn those calories faster since no carbs are attached? Just curious how that works in this case. It's probably a weird question.
Thanks for any answers though.
I'm not sure if having a hamburger with the bun is watching calories but It sounds like you want the difference between calories and carbs....

The body's energy which is measured as a unit of heat AKA Calories....calories come from many sources including carbs.....they are pretty much the same.....if you eat less fat you will consume fewer calories without having to eat less....fewer calories = weightloss.....personally I watch my calorie intake, i am careful to not eat over 1300 calories per day and even more careful that I don't eat under 1200 (as that may even be more critical to weight loss). Carbs give you the energy you need to work out and to live a daily life, calories are what come with eating those carbs and fats and sugars.......Ultimatley you will want to cut back on both if you are eating too much of either of them.

Old 07-29-2008, 03:10 PM

41,974 posts, read 75,239,807 times
There are lots of different theories as to why some people can lose weight on a low carb diet vs. a low fat diet, but mine has nothing to do with protein vs. carbohydrates.

It's as simple as calories in, calories out. However -- and this is my experience only, but it did help me lose 150 pounds -- protein calories will keep you satisfied longer (and keep you from eating more) than an equal number of carbohydrate calories.

Say your hamburger with the bun has 450 calories. So do two whole chicken breasts. Which do you think will keep you from going hungry for longer?

Old 07-29-2008, 04:25 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,812 times
Carbs are quickly burned for energy. It takes longer to break down fat and protein compared to carbs. Additionally, fat and protein are more calorie-dense, meaning there are more calories per gram (1 gram of fat is 9 calories, compared to 4 calories/gram for protein and carbs). Chances are your body won't burn the calories from the burger meat any faster or slower whether it has a bun or not, but if you eat a higher-carb meal instead, you'll have more instant energy.

For weight loss and any kind of exercise, it is best to eat a relatively high carbohydrate diet, with some protein and fat. Typically, 60-65% of you calories should come from carbs, 20-25% from fat, and 15-20% from protein. I personally think the whole low-carb thing just plain doesn't work, you may lose weight but its not healthy. You body needs carbs to quickly burn for energy throughout the day, if you try to do any kind of cardio exercise without enough carbs in your system you will generally be pretty sluggish.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:09 AM

540 posts, read 1,911,220 times
Thanks for all your responses. I have lost 45lbs. since I started back in October. Of course I did mostly the low carb/high protein diet but since I'm slimmed down some I'm eating more carbs lately but now I'm watching my calories so I try to stay around 1000-1300 per day but I'm doing a lot more cardio now as opposed to before. I've lost a lot of unnecessary fat but now my focus is toning my body. I'm working on eating low calories(not too low though) but eating healthy carbs and eating more fruits, but also getting my protein in.

Old 07-30-2008, 05:23 PM

938 posts, read 3,507,812 times
Quote:
Thanks for all your responses. I have lost 45lbs. since I started back in October. Of course I did mostly the low carb/high protein diet but since I'm slimmed down some I'm eating more carbs lately but now I'm watching my calories so I try to stay around 1000-1300 per day but I'm doing a lot more cardio now as opposed to before. I've lost a lot of unnecessary fat but now my focus is toning my body. I'm working on eating low calories(not too low though) but eating healthy carbs and eating more fruits, but also getting my protein in.
Unless you weigh very, very little, you are probably severely undernourishing your body. Are you hungry all the time? What you are doing seems to be working well, and I applaud you for it, but I would be worried that you aren't eating enough to really be healthy, and have enough energy to do cardio. Weightloss really isn't about dieting and starving yourself, it is generally more effective in the long term if you eat a few hundred calories below you maintenance level every day, then eat what you need daily after your weight goal is met. If you are trying to tone your body and gain muscle, you need around .7-.8 grams of protein per pound of body each day, and with that few calories, I'd be surprised if you are getting it. If you don't get enough protein while working out your muscles won't be able to effectively repair themselves and grow, and you will have a very hard time gaining any muscle mass or tone. I wasn't getting enough myself for months (I don't eat a lot of meat), so I started drinking a 30g protein shake most days, and noticed my muscle mass growing much quicker.

Old 07-31-2008, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Owch....your caloric intake is too low! You should never ever ever go below 1200 calories a day......You won't loose as much weight/if any, being that low...your body will protect itself against loosing weight and go into starvation mode thus activly storing and retaining body fat. Depending on your sex/height/weight and activity level you can determine your necissary caloric intake but no one should be below 1200.

Old 07-31-2008, 11:06 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,385,135 times
I like the idea of a hamburger/bun diet. However, when I get about 20 lbs over my best weight, I go on the no-carb diet for about 2 weeks. Sounds easy, but 2 weeks without bisquits is difficult at best. Anyway, I loose about 10% body weight in this time, then go back to normal.

Old 07-31-2008, 12:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
Owch....your caloric intake is too low! You should never ever ever go below 1200 calories a day......You won't loose as much weight/if any, being that low...your body will protect itself against loosing weight and go into starvation mode thus activly storing and retaining body fat. Depending on your sex/height/weight and activity level you can determine your necissary caloric intake but no one should be below 1200.
Actually as long as your avg is 1200 you are fine.
Doing the 1000-1300 and zig zagging you calories will make you lose faster because you are always fooling the body. (if it is the avg of 1200 cals)

Old 07-31-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Actually as long as your avg is 1200 you are fine.
Doing the 1000-1300 and zig zagging you calories will make you lose faster because you are always fooling the body. (if it is the avg of 1200 cals)
I'm going to have to disagree....depending on height and weight it might vary.....but never lower than 1200. From a body system health POV that's just not healthy to go that low, for anyone. I can't see anyone loosing weight, besides water weight, with eating that few calories. You may loose some but as soon as your body goes into starvation mode, which it will, you will cease to loose and the second you eat anything it goes strait into "storage" instead of being used as fuel to burn.

IE...I am 5'5" 120ibs and 15% body fat......I eat between 1200 and 1400 calories per day ALWAYS being sure to never go below that 1200
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss