Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 12:12 PM

18 posts, read 55,279 times

Advertisements

When I eat grains - not just gluten containing grains, all grains - I get headaches, muscle soreness, bloated, cannot digest food properly, lethargic, hot, I cannot breathe deeply enough, and I know this sounds strange but I feel a mental fog and heaviness in my head, if that makes sense - like I took a couple Benadryl. Even too much fruit or a large baked potato makes me feel just run down and like I weigh 300 lbs. I just feel so slow and uncomfortable - but mainly it makes me feel mentally lethargic and clouded. This is NOT due to overeating so please no questions about portion. This happens when I eat even small amounts. Can some not process carbs/sugar? I do not have any symptoms of diabetes or hyper/hypoglycemia that I have found online. What's the deal???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 01:44 PM

73 posts, read 320,549 times
First thing - talk to a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristaleigh View Post
I get headaches, muscle soreness, bloated, cannot digest food properly, lethargic, hot, I cannot breathe deeply enough, and I know this sounds strange but I feel a mental fog and heaviness in my head. Even too much fruit or a large baked potato makes me feel just run down and like I weigh 300 lbs. I just feel so slow and uncomfortable - but mainly it makes me feel mentally lethargic and clouded. This happens when I eat even small amounts
As for other conditions about not being able to process foods, I don't know myself, but...

Being type one diabetic for 11.5 years now, Thats how I feel/felt before I was diagnosed and when I forget to take my insulin. Even a small snack at my desk in the afternoon does it to me without my medicine. Do you know anyone who has a blood sugar tester? Ask them to use it once, especially when you when you feel like this. Hope you figure it out and start feeling better!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:03 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,024,311 times
maybe try a general food enzyme, to help with digestion.

Old 08-01-2008, 03:15 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,631,075 times
Kristaleigh.....yeap same here and i'm a 6/3 tall and 220 lb weightlifter and still have a hard time with Grains and TOO much carbs. If i don't exercise (rare occasion) then it's lots of vege's and Blueberries only for carbs and when i do Cardio with my weights then i add Bananas as i burn up the excess Glucose.

My studies show it's genetics on this.

6/3

Old 08-02-2008, 05:57 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristaleigh View Post
When I eat grains - not just gluten containing grains, all grains - I get headaches, muscle soreness, bloated, cannot digest food properly, lethargic, hot, I cannot breathe deeply enough, and I know this sounds strange but I feel a mental fog and heaviness in my head, if that makes sense - like I took a couple Benadryl. Even too much fruit or a large baked potato makes me feel just run down and like I weigh 300 lbs. I just feel so slow and uncomfortable - but mainly it makes me feel mentally lethargic and clouded. This is NOT due to overeating so please no questions about portion. This happens when I eat even small amounts. Can some not process carbs/sugar? I do not have any symptoms of diabetes or hyper/hypoglycemia that I have found online. What's the deal???
I think you should get a diabetes test, BUN test, and liver panel.

Food shouldnt make you feel like this.

If all those come back normal I would ask for an allergy panel.
Keep a food diary to share with your doctor.
(note portions & reactions)

Old 08-02-2008, 07:12 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,971 times
Go to an MD to have some tests and rule things out. But consider a homeopath too because you might be able to desensitize. I have had some good results desensitizing with homeopathy.

Old 08-05-2008, 01:04 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,294,055 times
I'll second the homeopath or see a Naturopath. All a medical doctor will do is prescribe medications with bad side effects. (all meds have bad side effects)

I also get the muscle and joint pain from grains, plus bloating, lethargy, swollen feet, etc. I just avoid the grains as much as possible and try to stick to whole foods as much as possible, not processed. i do the processing myself now after too many bad experiences. Many processed foods have added MSG under hidden names like "yeast extract" "spices" "autolyzed" and some other names. That alone will cause all of your symptoms!!

The other night i had some smoked tomato salad dressing on steamed veggies. All was well until around 2 hours later when the pain came back in my arms near my shoulders, and in my elbows and hands. My legs and feet were swollen so bad i thought i'd pop. I couldn't figure out what I ate..then i looked at the label, and "spices" was there. Why can't they just be truthful about hidden ingredients on labels...they are idiots.

Also, before seeing a doctor, keep a food diary like pitt mentioned, and do the process of elimination. Then you can find the trigger foods and try to avoid them. It really sucks going through life like that. It took me many years to figure out what caused the symptoms and to avoid them. Good luck!

Last edited by PinkString; 08-05-2008 at 01:04 AM.. Reason: .

Old 08-05-2008, 01:11 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,148,159 times
Anyone check you for Celiac Disease?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:02 PM

18 posts, read 55,279 times
Default Thank you!

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to give me their input... all suggestions and thoughts are welcome! I will go to a homeopath. I am wondering if they are covered by insurance just like other doctors???

Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,632 times
You sound like me. I am best when I stick to a hypoglycemic style diet, but I am not really good at doing it.

Brown rice, oatmeal, barley (maybe you shouldn't if gas is a problem, barley can make you gassy.) Corn like polenta is okay.
Fish, cage-free no growth hormone eggs and chicken.

Nuts...walnuts, almonds, pinenuts. Good for protein and their fats are GOOD fats, and heck, one can only eat so many nuts, they are so rich. You can toss some in a salad.

Absolutely no dairy. Dairy is NOTORIOUS for causing gastro problems. I am actually allergic to it, not lacto intolerant. The allergy runs in my family. So does wheat allergy. So does peanut allergy. Wheat allergy is also NOTORIOUS for gastrointestinal problems and irritable bowel symptoms. (It's not the same as celiac disease, which the gold standard to test for is a small bowel biopsy.)

I can drink soy milk without problems. Silk Soy is pretty good, and if you try the chocolate, it's like a milk shake. I try to buy the sugar free, plain, to save calories though, and I take a calcium/magnesium supplement

Vegetables and fruits. Lots of them.

As an allergist once told me, if you eat it, and it makes you feel sick, then don't eat it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss