Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 11:25 PM

145 posts, read 185,918 times

Advertisements

It HAS to be learned behavior.

Do you think there is a gene that, if you have it, makes you addicted to drugs?

Nonsense. Genetic predisposition to addiction has also never been proven.

Show me a study proving otherwise. You won't find one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2014, 03:15 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,823,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve035 View Post
It HAS to be learned behavior.

Do you think there is a gene that, if you have it, makes you addicted to drugs?

Nonsense. Genetic predisposition to addiction has also never been proven.

Show me a study proving otherwise. You won't find one.
"Studies of identical twins indicate that as much as half of an individual's risk of becoming addicted to nicotine, alcohol, or other drugs depends on his or her genes." - National Institute on Drug Abuse

Source: Genetics of Addiction | National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA)

"At least half of a person's susceptibility to drug addiction can be linked to genetic factors. Presenters at an April 8 congressional hearing outlined new research on the genetic basis for addiction and recommended ways to incorporate those findings into treatment." - American Psychological Association

Source: Genes matter in addiction

"The human brain may be 'wired up' for addictive behaviour according to a study that shows how some people are more likely than others to become addicted to crack cocaine." - The Independent reporting on a study published in Science

Drug addiction may be hereditary, study suggests - Health News - Health & Families - The Independent

I could post more but anyone open-minded will get the idea from these sources that took me 30 seconds to find via Google.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 PM

I said causative proof.

"indicate"

"linked"

"may"

"more likely"

sorry.

Doesn't cut it.

Show me a study where in the abstract it say "definitely causes" to the issue at hand.

You won't find one.

The addiction-treatment business is HUGE and people want to wring as much money out of it as possible. One way is to call it genetic-based, or, worse, a disease.

But stop drinking and you "cure" the "disease" of alcoholism.

Stop doing drugs and you "cure" the "disease" of drug addiction.

And I could go on.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:52 PM

125 posts, read 312,248 times
Quote:
I said causative proof.

"indicate"

"linked"

"may"

"more likely"

sorry.

Doesn't cut it.

Show me a study where in the abstract it say "definitely causes" to the issue at hand.

You won't find one.

The addiction-treatment business is HUGE and people want to wring as much money out of it as possible. One way is to call it genetic-based, or, worse, a disease.

But stop drinking and you "cure" the "disease" of alcoholism.

Stop doing drugs and you "cure" the "disease" of drug addiction.

And I could go on.
It seems you are invested in your opinion about addiction and the science be damned.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:43 AM

That's not science. Science needs proof. Science demands proof.

Addiction medicine is NOT science, because addiction is NOT a disease.

Addiction is a subjective assessment based on changing variables, all of which derive from learned behavior.

On the contrary, it seems like YOU are invested in YOUR opinion, making your living off it.

Old 02-09-2014, 11:12 AM

280 posts, read 421,855 times
Quote:
That's not science. Science needs proof. Science demands proof.

Addiction medicine is NOT science, because addiction is NOT a disease.

Addiction is a subjective assessment based on changing variables, all of which derive from learned behavior.

On the contrary, it seems like YOU are invested in YOUR opinion, making your living off it.
I can't speak for everyone, only myself. I used to think I was a food addict. I went to Overeaters Anonymous for years and never lost a pound. I feel like I was wrapped up in a victim mentality. Now I have taken responsibility for my own choices and I'm eating clean, exercising daily. I am seeing results in my weight loss and my overall health. Since I started eating the right foods I no longer crave the junk. I don't think most people are food addicts. I know I wasn't.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM

You nailed it!

Take responsibility for your life.

Don't let other people tell you that you are a victim.

Old 02-09-2014, 06:54 PM

280 posts, read 421,855 times
Default food addiction

forgot to mention my family is full of addicts and I don't smoke or drink or use drugs. Maybe Im the exception to the rule.

Old 02-09-2014, 07:58 PM

NO.

You chose not to do drugs, smoke, or drink.

Good for you.

The rest of your family did.

Bad for them. Though they received short-term gains from their behavior.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:16 AM

Ad hominem attacks!

The last refuge of the incompetent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss