Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,162,454 times

Advertisements

on another thread somone recomended juicing them.....with fruits....sort of like a home made v8 splash but you will actually have controll over what you put in it so you can tailor it to your specific needs.....awesome idea I think....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 PM

438 posts, read 1,730,720 times
Thanks everyone! I've started looking at recipes for juicing with some fruit. I've never juiced anything (even oranges) so it should be an adventure

The mashed cauliflower sounds like a good idea. I'll have to do some shopping this weekend.

Old 08-13-2008, 09:19 PM

26 posts, read 94,457 times
What about taking a look at that book by Jessica Seinfeld... it's supposed to be recipes for sneaking veggies into kids meals but hey whatever works right!? Deceptively Delicious - Get Your Kids Eating Good Food!

I am a big fan of the steamfresh individual pack frozen veggies... they only take 1 1/2 mins to nuke then I alter them eg I toss the brussel sprouts in olive oil and sea salt and sometimes garlic then broil (and I used to detest sprouts!).

Old 08-15-2008, 03:15 AM

517 posts, read 2,484,761 times
I agree with Leylandi about making them more appealing...

I think one of the problems people have with veggies (myself included) is not knowing how to cook them. I used to only steam them but then I read an article that suggested that if you made veggies more appealing through cooking methods (oils, herbs, grated cheese, etc.) you can usually develop a taste for it so that you will actually eat them. It may seem counterintuitive to make veggies more fattening but actually if they taste good enough that you eat them regularly you will feel full quicker and eat less of other fattening foods (not to mention the nutritional value).

I'm still working on this myself - I've learned to make a few veggies that I like but it would be great to get more recipes.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:40 PM

2 posts, read 8,666 times
Default 25 Ways to Eat More Vegetables

First, stop thinking that you don't like vegetables, they all taste bad, and so forth. Eating 4-6 servings of vegetables a day is a key weight loss/maintenance strategy, to say nothing of the incredible nutrition you'd receive. Diet is a great way to prevent disease. Try these tips, with an open mind of course:

1. Start with what you know you like - most people like corn, lettuce, and tomato sauce – and build from there.
2. Add vegetables to your sandwiches – lettuce, tomato, cucumber, pepper, sprouts, mushrooms.
3.Top pizza with vegetables.
4. Add a bag of frozen vegetable when making frozen bag meals (such as Lean Cuisine) – there’s enough sauce, and it serves four.
5.Make vegetable fajitas using red, green, and yellow peppers, onion, zucchini, etc. and fajitas seasoning.
6.Make omelets with egg substitute or egg whites, adding your favorite vegetables.
7. Try tomato sauce in your omelets (trust me on this, it’s my favorite!)
8.Add tomatoes, shredded carrots or zucchini, and/or mushrooms to your spaghetti sauce.
9.[FONT=Garamond] Make crockpot ratatouille (a vegetable stew consisting of[/FONT] eggplant, zucchini, onion, garlic, tomato (fresh or canned), bell pepper, Italian Seasoning); freeze and have on hand.
10. Make a fat free cole slaw using bagged cole slaw mix (without dressing), adding fruit for variety.
11. Grill veggies (onion, peppers, portabella mushrooms, zucchini, etc.) for sandwiches or as a side dish; brush with FF Italian dressing or a mix of olive oil and flavored vinegar.
12. Grill skewers with onion, mushrooms, zucchini, cherry tomatoes, peppers, pineapple, and chicken or lean pork, if desired.
13. Stir fry any combination of veggies (using Pam), seasoning with garlic, ginger, soy sauce, curry, etc.
14. Steam veggies (such as broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, string beans) on stove or in microwave; lightly season or spray with liquid margarine.
15. Turn a baked potato into a meal by topping with broccoli, mushrooms, tomatoes, low fat chili etc. and low fat cheese or FF sour cream.
16. Microwave sliced zucchini and canned tomatoes (add a can of sauce if preferred) with Italian seasoning and garlic powder; top with shredded low fat mozzarella.
17. Broil tomato halves seasoned with Italian seasoning and parmesan cheese.
18. Use low fat salad dressing, mustard, tomato sauce, salsa, and other “disguises” to eat more vegetables and learn to like them.
19. When dining out ask to substitute salad or steamed veggies for fries.
20. For variety, choose broth-based vegetables soups instead of salad as an appetizer.
21. When attending a lunch or dinner meeting, ask the server if there is a vegetarian choice – it’s usually delicious!
22. Prepare a portable snack of bite-sized carrot and celery pieces mixed with grapes or raisins – great for the car or at the desk.
23. Remember that soups, casseroles, and tomato sauce are excellent ways to add vegetables while masking the taste, if you need to.
24. Heat a can of stewed tomatoes. Add seasoning if desired, and eat as a chunky tomato soup.
25. Don’t assume you don’t like unfamiliar vegetables – try them! Remember that our tastes change over time, so try them again if it’s been more than a year.

I used to dislike most vegetables, and now I'm the vegetable queen in my house!

Last edited by nurtureyou; 08-15-2008 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: formatting problems

Old 08-15-2008, 08:25 PM

36 posts, read 149,376 times
I don't know any tricks, but just eat the vegetables you prefer. You will get your proper nutrition that way as long as they are colorful.

Old 08-21-2008, 02:54 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dea13 View Post
Really this is a serious question! I HATE most vegetables. I like corn, tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, raw celery & carrots. I'll tolerate peas. I'll eat vegetables in soups if I can swallow them without chewing. I'd love to learn to like eating broccoli, green beans, califlower, etc without my gag reflex kicking in.

Any tricks for making yourself like vegetables?
I used to hate vegetables. But over the years, I've learned to like them. The trick is to not eat them by themselves and to add flavor. For example, I would never eat broccoli by itself, but I drizzle a little olive oil on it and that makes a world of difference. Olive oil is one of the healthiest fats you can have and it adds great flavor. Just don't put too much cause it is fat. On salads, I'll put olive oil and also sprinkle in some chopped nuts. Green beans I usually have to put some salt and pepper on to make it go down. Same with peas. But certain veggies I still can't eat, like cauliflower and kale.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:19 PM

105 posts, read 302,500 times
I too hate vegetables!! I will eat corn, potatoes and lettuce...that's it. Unless it's in soup...then some others are ok, I guess lol. Most people that I know have grown to like vegetables as they got older. I hated them as a kid and never grew to like them as an adult either...

However, I am seeking hypnosis for something else next week (so funny that you should mention that...lol). I will let you know if it works!

Quote:
Really this is a serious question! I HATE most vegetables. I like corn, tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, raw celery & carrots. I'll tolerate peas. I'll eat vegetables in soups if I can swallow them without chewing. I'd love to learn to like eating broccoli, green beans, califlower, etc without my gag reflex kicking in. I like the look of stirfry meals and colorful salads but seem to eat them without gag reflex kicking in as soon as the fork gets to my mouth.

Any tricks for making yourself like vegetables? Is there a way to reduce gag reflex? I've gotten desperate and would even consider hypnosis if I thought it would work (I don't believe it would).

Dea

Old 09-06-2011, 04:52 PM

139 posts, read 648,685 times
I like my veggies in a soup the best. The B Vitamins are water soluble and the vitamins go into the soup broth. I can have them either with or without meat and any kind of meat. It is my favorite way to eat veggies. I eat a lot of soup.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Thanks. I'll try cutting some real small. I honestly can say it's not the taste of the vegetables - I never make it far enough to taste them. From what I'm told, I got sick on some vegetables when I was a kid and my parents never made me eat them anymore.
Something like that happend to me. As a kid I ate ONLY lettuce, cukes, carrots, celery and peas. And NONE of them cooked. I did NOT eat green peppers, or tomatoes or broccoli. Can you imagine a kid who wont eat spagetti sauce - or Pizza!!!!!

How old are you. In my teens I grew more adventurous. At college there was a regular faculty sponsored social I went to wherethey served little cheese melts on bread - some with tomato sauce, some without. One day there were none without, and I wanted one, so I took the one with the least tomato sauce. And liked it. Within a few weeks I was eating pizza with the other kids.

How to get there - behavioral techniques. Eat small amounts. Eat it combined with something you like. Eat it when you are starving. Reward yourself afterwards.

today the only veggies I won't eat are brussels sprouts, and I tend to not like cauliflower. If it was important I could overcome those aversions, but at this point its not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss