Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 09:10 AM

917 posts, read 2,300,420 times

Advertisements

May seem like a silly question but when one loses weight, where does the fat go? Is it released in our urine or bowel movements? Seriously, what happens to it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 09:54 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,051,181 times
Default A great question !

I never thought of that

My guess is that the fat cells shrink when we loose weight and perhaps the FAT gets flushed out of the cell and eliminated or if we eat too much high cholesterol food like red meat & dairy..... then perhaps the FAT sticks to our arteries and clogs them up - leading to heart trouble ?? I dunno............ good question

Old 10-25-2008, 09:56 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,422,020 times
It's broken down and used as energy.

Fat is just one of the energy storage mechanisms in your body.

Old 10-25-2008, 09:58 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,642,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
May seem like a silly question but when one loses weight, where does the fat go? Is it released in our urine or bowel movements? Seriously, what happens to it?
It's released in the Bowels, Urine and our Exhale or Carbon Dioxide which is produced inside our 100 trillion cells energy factories or Mitochondria's.

Old 10-25-2008, 10:06 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,158,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
Components of your fat cells are broken down and released into the blood stream to fuel the body. Fat is converted to fuel (glycogen, I believe, but I am not sure). This process creates waste which is carried by blood cells and filtered through your liver and kidneys and removed in your feces and urine. The number of fat cells does not change (unless you are pregnant), but they shrink to a fraction of their former size.

20yrsinBranson

Old 10-25-2008, 10:22 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,199,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Components of your fat cells are broken down and released into the blood stream to fuel the body. Fat is converted to fuel (glycogen, I believe, but I am not sure). This process creates waste which is carried by blood cells and filtered through your liver and kidneys and removed in your feces and urine. The number of fat cells does not change (unless you are pregnant), but they shrink to a fraction of their former size.

20yrsinBranson
that's about it in a nutshell. And you get "Fat" by eating more calories than you need. The excess glycogen (I think that's the right term too) is converted in the liver into fat for storage through a complex system. When less calories are taken in than needed, the liver reverses the system and the fat is reconverted into fuel that the body can use.

I think I read somewhere that the average person in good health, needs about 1600 calories per day to just maintain life with no activity. That's just lying in bed, doing nothing. Anything else needs more, but not so much that the body stores it as emergency fat for later use.

Old 10-25-2008, 11:29 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,642,763 times
I always used the Auto Engine analogy to descibe what goes on inside the Human Cell. Human components in (parentheses).

In an Auto Engine the Gasoline ( Fat or Glucose ) gets transported to the Piston Chamber (Mitochondria Matrix) where it's reformulated and mixed with Oxygen and then the Spark Plug (Electron Transport Chain) energises and ignites the mixture of Fuel and Oxygen and causes an explosion which gives off energy (ATP) for power to run the Automobile (Human Body) and a waste by-product known as Carbon Monoxide (Carbon Dioxide).

Old 10-25-2008, 12:15 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,279,301 times
If you look in the toilet of your early AM urine you will see a little oil slick on top on some of your dieting days.

Old 10-26-2008, 12:06 PM

917 posts, read 2,300,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post

20yrsinBranson
So you can actually add fat cells with each pregnancy?!

Old 10-26-2008, 02:38 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,752,548 times
As you get fatter the fat cells get fatter until they multiply more so you have more fat cells.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss