Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times

Advertisements

Is anyone out there using this plan besides me? For one thing, I like that it is considered a plan rather than a diet. What I like about it also is that it doesn't forbit bread and pasta (or even rice) but just recommends that you use versions that are made of whole grains instead of processed ones. Mostly it is about avoiding processed foods, eating lots of fruits & veggies, little (or no) red meat, fish (seafood) & chicken, cooking with olive oil and using it to dress salads along with vinegar or lemon juice, and even allowing a glass of red wine with dinner. I don't count calories if I follow the plan & exercise and have taken off almost 20 pounds since mid April. You can Google Mediterranean Diet and get more details. But what I really like also is that you can go to most restaurants and find things that fit the plan although in some cases you may have to choose from the appetizer list or split an entree with someone because portion control is important. So far the only down side is that I have to go to the store a lot more to stay stocked on the fresh produce but it's a small price to pay. Diets seem so "temporary" but this plan seems so "lifelong."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 11:26 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Isnt that similar to South beach Diet- olive oil, etc. I am trying that- dont eat red meat. Sometimes avoiding anything prepared is hard, I am avoiding all additives and processed/refined sugars as well.

Old 08-19-2008, 11:45 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,419 times
http://www.thefinalsprint.com/images/2007/05/mediterranean-diet-food-pyramid.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-20-2008, 08:41 AM

I had not seen this pyramid before but it is really interesting. I especially like this eating plan because I love bread and pasta and they are not excluded as in so many other "diets." I must confess though that I probably consume more fish than this plan specifically calls for. Thanks Jaipur for including this.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:07 PM

412 posts, read 1,751,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
I had not seen this pyramid before but it is really interesting. I especially like this eating plan because I love bread and pasta and they are not excluded as in so many other "diets." I must confess though that I probably consume more fish than this plan specifically calls for. Thanks Jaipur for including this.
Your welcome, I find it quite interesting as well.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:18 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times
Sounds similar to the Suzanne Somers' diet which she stole from the French scientist - Montignac. You can eat carbs and protein - only not together. Montignac explains scientifically why this combination increases body weight. Also, like the Mediterranean diet, the Montignac diet is limited to whole grain pastas and breads. You can't have sugar either. I lost 15 pounds in 4-5 months with little exercise (some walking). You're never hungry.

In the morning I would eat whole grain toast with sugarless jelly and, if I wanted, yogurt also.
Wait three hours and you can then eat your meat or fish (fried in butter or oil) with vegetables. You can have a large salad with regular salad dressing (no croutons) with any kind of meat or eggs, etc etc. Or a Caesar salad with chicken. No white products like pasta, bread, rice, potatoes.

Old 11-06-2008, 02:45 PM

"No white products like pasta, bread, rice, potatoes.

Not to be critical but if you will notice the base of the Mediterranean pyramid, it is all grain products and that includes breads, rice, potatoes and pasta. You just have to choose wisely and get whole grain versions rather than those made of processed white flour. This is precisely why I like the plan because the grain products are so filling and I LOVE bread. For my breakfast I eat the whole grain toast but with fresh ground peanut butter instead and it is very satisfying.

Old 11-08-2008, 03:38 PM

438 posts, read 1,359,707 times
I loosely based my style of eating on the Mediterranean book that was so popular a couple years ago. And now I'm working from a base of the You on a Diet and Eat Clean type eating plans, which are remarkably similar both to each other and to the Med. style.

Really for me it all boils down to first-tier or natural foods, few if any pre-packaged foods {though I do have a wicked mac n cheese addiction} no soda or refined/added sugars. when I stick to the basics I loose weight, have far more energy and overall body function. When I start slipping, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss