Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:18 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to get back into shape. I've been exercising regularly and eating pretty healthy. Fruits, veggies, chicken, fish, lean red meat, nuts, etc. and none of the junk foods like pizza, burgers, and so forth. But my biggest weakness is chocolate. If it's nearby, I'll eat it. And I don't just stop at one bite or one candy bar. I have a serious addiction to chocolate. Once I start eating, I can't seem to stop myself. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break this addiction? I've tried chewing gum, brushing my teeth, drinking water, even reminding myself about the damage it'll do to my teeth and the acne it'll give me. But everything I've tried has failed. Seriously, how do I get control? I almost wish there was something I could put on my tongue that would make me gag when I ate chocolate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 09:21 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,433,232 times
Well, I don't really know, but here are my thoughts.

Are you buying it at the grocery store? If you are, then stop. It's a lot easier to resist things in the grocery store than at home. Also, while it's totally not the same, it can kind of help to eat those sugar-free fudgsicles. They kind of take the edge off the chocolate craving. It's all I have in my house now, because I can't be trusted with anything else.

If you aren't buying it, then you must come into contact with it at work or at parties. Do you have any buddies who can help support you in resisting the cravings? I'm not the biggest fan of donuts, but when people brought them into the office, it was difficult to resist. That just takes raw will power. Maybe you can set up small goals for yourself. You know, like when you start running. First, you run around the block. Then, after a couple times doing that, you run around the block and to the stop sign half a block away. That kind of thing. Then, reward yourself somehow for a good job done. And, if you stray, then immediately forget that ever happened and continue forward.

Good luck.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:20 PM

175 posts, read 846,912 times
I am a chocolate addict myself. I keep thinking I will not eat any more but end up buying a Cadbury or whatever.

Old 08-22-2008, 08:10 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,646,492 times
fjtee,

I'm pretty good about not buying junk food at the grocery store. It's hard, especially when you're in the checkout line, but for the most part, I can resist the urge. I never keep sweets at home cause I know that if they're in the house, I won't just eat one or two. I'll eat it all. The problem for me is the workplace. When I go to the break room to get water or coffee, I pass the vending machines. Often, someone has brought in donuts, leftover cake or some other treat. I think a big part of my problem is that I can't come up with healthy snacks to satisfy my hunger. Fruit doesn't do it. I tried nuts, but it's easy to eat too many. Not a day goes by where I don't need my chocolate fix.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:03 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,167,239 times
You have to take the permission away that you've given yourself to eat chocolate......there's something in your mind that justify's it so you have to take that justification away.....

Also....if you have to have chocolate once a day it's okay....you can...it's actually good for you BUT and that's a big butt (no pun intended) you have to limit yourself using the same meathod as above. Maybe have a square of a hershey's bar once a day or a hand full of mm's........I promise you it's not easy.....it's not easy to break a habit and it's not easy to change your lifestyle to a more healthy/fit lifestyle.....but you do it, you work at it.....at first, you force yourself maybe.....but it gets to be exactly that, your life style and sooner than you know you will wonder why it took you so long!

Be strong!!!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:49 PM

2,588 posts, read 5,433,232 times
I thought it was most likely work where you got tripped up by the chocolate. At the heart of this is probably sugar cravings and chocolate is the granddaddy of all sugar sources. Maybe you can do some research on ending sugar cravings. Are you able to see a nutritionist? They might be able to give you some plans for kicking those cravings. You'll never be happy if you think you can never have it, but there has got to be a way to settle down the cravings to a point where you can have just a little bit like Lola suggested. That's why I think a nutritionist might be useful.

And, do I ever know it's hard to just eat one bite, too. I think it is easier to not have any at all than to have just a little bit - and that's not easy. Once I get that first taste, it's impossible to get the idea out of my mind. Is there anyway you can avoid the break room? You know, come to work with a giant bottle of water and some snacks and avoid the place altogether?

Old 08-22-2008, 05:28 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,269,659 times
I think its silly to avoid things you really love. I think its part of the reason people go hog wild on it too. Just eat it. Eat a REASONABLE amt...Look for all the low calorie or healthier ways to have chocolate. You can drink protien shakes made with chocolate, those slim fast chocolate snacks are really good and have vits added in them. There are vita-muffin tops, fudgecicles.

Also taking a B-complex (and a multi-vitamin) can cut cravings. The B-complex doses out seratonin just like the sugar & chocolate do.

Cravings last 15 minutes. So check the clock.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:08 PM

625 posts, read 1,586,686 times
Talking Just eat it

Go ahead and eat it just try to steer away from the creamy milk and cheapy chocolates that aren't so good for you. Try a little of the really dark stuff (60 or 70 percent cocoa) it will probably satisfy what you body is craving and it will make the old taster happy too. It might take some adjusting but once you do, a little goes a long way and it's okay for you

Old 08-25-2008, 08:16 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,174,301 times
Well, you could always make little baggies of chocolate. A square of super dark, a few M&M's, whatever it takes. I found that by allowing myself to eat my "treasured addiction food" in small increments is actually better than trying to stay clear. They sell "snack bags" that are usually 1/3 to 1/4 the size of a sandwich bag.

Another thing you can try is to have a light amount of chocolate syrup or melted chocolate ontop of strawberries. Strawberries are listed under the "negative calorie" foods and if you add a little bit of chocolate, you should break even. Don't know if weight is a problem.. but this is a solution to your chocolate crave.

Just remember to not try and place a stigma with chocolate. The more you "don't want" the chocolate, the more you are to give in to temptation. Just treat chocolate like any other food that you can eat without feeling guilty.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:35 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,854,806 times
Several of the chocolate makers produce small squares of the chocolate. Since the cocoa in the chocolate has beneficial anti-oxident properties, don't deny yourself completely. Just set a limit of one (or two) small squares a day and consider it/them as your reward for staying away from the junk chocolate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss