Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2008, 06:32 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,225,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You should check out the link I posted above about it.

Low intensity burns more fat per calorie burned than high intensity.
So what??

The fact remains running/jogging for 30 mins burns TWICE as many calories as walking for 30 mins. Running for 30 mins also burns more fat calories than walking for 30 mins.

If someone is exercising to lose weight, the primary goal is to burn more calories period...and jogging/running does this more effectively than walking and so does biking.

Running also results in an increase in metabolism that extends beyond the actual exercise period which results in further calorie loss.....another benefit over walking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2008, 07:17 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,616,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post

Running also results in an increase in metabolism that extends beyond the actual exercise period which results in further calorie loss.....another benefit over walking.
Spot on Blue !!!

High Intensity Cardio or Weight Lifting will raise your Metabolic Rate higher thru out the day and night even when you are not exercising. When you exercise over time your Muscles recruit more Mitochondria (Trillions) to burn Glucose and Fats as energy hence lower fat levels over time. Also your muscle create more Insulin Receptors to take up Glucose/Fats (Glut4 Receptors) out of your Bloodstream and Fat Stores so go high Intensity if you want to burn Calories all day and even when sleeping and not just during the exercise.

Old 09-08-2008, 07:46 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
You should check out the link I posted above about it.

Low intensity burns more fat per calorie burned than high intensity.
Okay....I read it, laughed a lot.... because it's sort of misleading. Sure, if you do not have endurance you are more comfortable working out at a low intensity and that's great....totally better than nothing. The purpose of High intensity and getting/keeping your heart rate up is that when your heart rate is up you are not only burning fat and calories but mostly you are consistently rising your metabolic rate....by doing this you are consistently burning more calories and shedding more fat while not working out than you would on a low intensity plan.

I found this link on your site...

Burn More Fat - How to Burn More Fat - Burn More Fat with Weights

bottom line is, do what works for you.....if low intensity is working for you then that's awesome.....however, in my professional opinion I always recomend a cardio/weight training workout for those looking to shed fat and gain muscle or get toned....I have them check thier heart rate often both to make sure it's not too high or too low......those whom' i've trained have had great success by doing this.

Old 09-08-2008, 01:10 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Yes..its great to lose a bunch a weight so fast and take lean muscle tissue with it so you are going to have to try harder in the long run to keep it off.

I dont see the point of doing a bunch of high intensity cardio to just end up skinny fat or have to lift to make for a recovery transition into maintaining your weight.

Why not do it slow and take your time and make your food habits stick?

Yeh the other way works..But I agree lola..what works for you is the way to go.
I know I would of just ended up quiting if I tried to push myself too much to start.
It makes a lot of people just give up. And I agree if you are going to do the high intensity you HAVE to do weights too or its not going to be flattering at the end of your journey and it will be harder to keep weight off.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,667 times
Default walking vs biking

I have been walking 5 miles a day but recently developed a foot condition that will make that hard to do if not imposable. Have to consider a bike. How far would I need to cycle to equal the five miles walking?

Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 40,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billgp1 View Post
I have been walking 5 miles a day but recently developed a foot condition that will make that hard to do if not imposable. Have to consider a bike. How far would I need to cycle to equal the five miles walking?
Exercise Calorie Expenditures - Sorted by Activity

Couple of these flying about on the internet if you google 'exercise calorie count'

And on the original topic - i once lost loads of weight to get into the air force but because i did it by bike riding the doctor said i was still not good to go. Bike was good for losing weight but poor at building up actual strength and stamina because the pedals cushioned the joints vs. walking and running which jolt the knees and ankle muscles and build them up. That's what he said anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss