Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2008, 06:55 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,275 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I was just wondering what most of you think of walking vs biking for cardio and weight loss. I am sure I read on one of the posts here that someone felt walking was better. I know when I bike I definitely get my heart pumping and the area I go to has a variety of ground (some incline and decline areas). Is one better than the other or are they both good? And how does one fare over the other in the aspect of losing weight? Yes, I am aware of the "change the diet" and working out with weights combo but I am curious as to which of these two mentioned exercises might be better, if at all. Or, are they pretty much equal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2008, 08:37 PM

7,395 posts, read 19,340,034 times
I think they are both good exercises depending on how you do them and how often.
I lost a lot of weight by walking mostly. I got a bicycle a couple of years ago and had a hard time with it at first just as I had a hard time walking long distances at first but you build yourself up.
I don't think I would start out riding a bicycle without walking first. The walking and the aerobic exercises I was doing helped build me up a little so that I could ride a bike. Biking does get the heart rate going.

Old 09-02-2008, 05:05 AM

225 posts, read 1,075,275 times
I understand what you are saying about that. I first got back into biking about 2 years ago. Before that I was entirely "car dependant" and hadn't been on a bike in many long years. They are correct when they say you never forget how to ride. What they don't tell you is that you do need to become reaquaintted with it again - LOL. I am much better now than I was before but I am no "serious biker" as some of the people I see at my bike park are. It's just that I do enjoy it. Now I read in another post that biking is better than walking so I am totally confused. I do try to combine a little of both in and starting to lift some weights again. I would just like to lose this belly of mine and tone up some. So I am combining all these exercises with a better diet as well. Thanks for your response.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:32 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
low intensity (walking) burns more fat cells off you but less calories.
high intensity (bike) burns more calories as a whole.

Neither is better. Its more about what you like and what you want to do.
Whichever one that is...thats the one that is better for you.

But you are 100% on the right path.

Interesting read on the subject:
Burn More Fat with Cardio Exercise

Old 09-03-2008, 08:05 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
I don't know.....I mountain bike and that kicks my A*s!! Walking is good too but you have to get your heart rate up to a certain level in order to begin burning fat/calories.......be careful when walking that your power walking and not strolling.....monitor your heart rate and keep it within target range for burning.....I agree that you should do whatever you enjoy more....whichever one just make sure you are doing it safley and keep that heart rate up (but not too high)

Old 09-03-2008, 02:39 PM

Not true. All walking uses calories. Any movement does.

Old 09-04-2008, 11:38 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,274,394 times
I believe the more relevant detail is how hard you are working at either and how fast your heart rate is since both walking and biking are good for weight loss and cardio fitness.

If your heart rate is 60-70% of maximum heart rate you are burning fat. If it's at 70-80% of maximum heart rate you're improving cardiovascular efficiency but not burning fat as effectively.

You might try getting a heart rate monitor to determine how vigorously you exercise when walking as opposed to biking to see which better meets your fitness goals.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:02 PM

4,589 posts, read 13,163,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Not true. All walking uses calories. Any movement does.
If the goal is to loose body fat and increase metabolism your heart rate needs to be within the target rate. Sure you can burn calories while laughing or talking or whatever but not enough to actually shed body fat....if you are out of shape and/or over weight and you walk down the street your heartrate will be much higher than somone who runs 20 miles a day so yes, depending on your current state and your current resistance it is very possible to burn fat while strolling down the street and a good idea for those who are very overweight and/or out of shape.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:22 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,163,378 times
my 2 cents. Biking is fun,fun,fun. I don't do it to lose weight(I need to gain,gain,gain!!!) but I love biking!!

Old 09-06-2008, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola8822 View Post
If the goal is to loose body fat and increase metabolism your heart rate needs to be within the target rate. Sure you can burn calories while laughing or talking or whatever but not enough to actually shed body fat....if you are out of shape and/or over weight and you walk down the street your heartrate will be much higher than somone who runs 20 miles a day so yes, depending on your current state and your current resistance it is very possible to burn fat while strolling down the street and a good idea for those who are very overweight and/or out of shape.

You should check out the link I posted above about it.

Low intensity burns more fat per calorie burned than high intensity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss