Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2008, 03:07 PM

542 posts, read 1,928,219 times

Advertisements

I am having a hard time figuring out how to fit exercise into my schedule. I KNOW it's something that has to be done. I am also trying to include my daughter so she can get healthier too.

We get up between 6:15-6:45am and get ready for work/school. Leave out of the house by 7:45 at the latest. I get off at 5pm (usually) I get to the school to pick her up by 5:45 then we run any errands that are needed. I still have to make dinner she has to do homework then her bedtime is 9:30.
It doesn't leave much time for anything. We have a park down the street from our house,we've never walked there but it could be done. I estimate it would take about 20 minutes. We drove there yesterday to see what it had to offer. It has a nice walking trail around the entire park plus tennis courts that we could probably pretend we know how to play lol. I told her we are going to start walking to the park then walk around the track a few times then walk home. I have a workout facility at my condo but it opens at 8am and closes at 10pm. I could probably go when she goes to bed but then she wouldn't be getting any exercise.

How do you fit it all in??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 03:13 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,045,187 times
for me, i do a lot of little stuff that Im hoping will add up throughout my day. Like doing leg lifts/ squats while doing laundry, dancing about when i do the vacuming, I dont just stand in the shower, I dance about, do a free wall sit while getting my hair wet, sets of 25 wall pushups while letting the conditioner set in my hair, another free wall sit while rinsing hair, (my husband about died laughing the first time he walked in on me doing all this! needless to say, he stood and just watched til bursting out laughing...bugger!) I do marching in place or my gazelle instead of sitting during tv shows, then do things like crunches during commercials. I walk as much as possible, and like if I go to the store, i park as far as away possible, wear loose baggy pants so i can do butt squeezes while I push my cart.
again, its just here and there, but i sure hope it adds up!!!
Tiff

Old 09-16-2008, 10:46 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,570,117 times
movingon2vega, tiffela is right on with her tips! You just have to fit in as much as possible any movements that you can. While preparing meals, walk around, leg lifts, knee bends, any twisting and turning movements. You don't have to walk to the park every day. Set aside 2 or 3 times a week for that. The other days do things at home together and make it fun. Music in the background helps. Good luck to you.

Old 09-17-2008, 03:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,468 times
One of the easiest most effective ways to lose weight, besides eating healthy, is exercising. A trouble-free exercise that we engage in is walking. Walking for about an hour at least once a day can speed up your heart rate, which will enable you to burn more calories. I just recently started doing this and I feel a lot better. I also bought these sneakers that have a built in weight in them which helps me burn more calories. If you want to take a look go to fitandsharp.com. hope this small tip was helpful.

Old 09-22-2008, 03:04 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,251,440 times
Get up at 5 am with me!

:P

Get a little cardio something or other for your place (bike, treadmill)

Its actually good for weightloss to break up your workouts. Multiple boosts all through the day.

Write all the tasks of your day out on index cards
Include time needed.
Lay in order of it needing to be done

Make exercise cards with time needed on them
Plan each exercise for at least 15 minutes.
Then see where you can put those 15 minutes in your day here and there.

I think its really a lot easier when you have it just laying out in front of you like that to organize anything at all. Good Luck!

Old 09-23-2008, 09:39 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,610,038 times
For me i get up at 4.00 A.M. and down alot of Hot Green Tea and and swallow 30 grams of Protein Powder and by the time i get to the Gym at 5.00 A.M. i'm fully awake and ready to kick butt by pumping iron or doing cardio.

That allows me to feel charged up for the day and it's out of the way.

Old 12-06-2008, 03:18 AM

1 posts, read 3,219 times
Try walking, biking or skating to work. If this takes longer than your usual commute, Diet Plans ahead: Pack your briefcase and lay out your clothes the night before. Remember to have an extra set of clothes at work for a quick after-commute change, if necessary.

Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,636,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingon2vegas View Post
I am having a hard time figuring out how to fit exercise into my schedule. I KNOW it's something that has to be done. I am also trying to include my daughter so she can get healthier too.

We get up between 6:15-6:45am and get ready for work/school. Leave out of the house by 7:45 at the latest. I get off at 5pm (usually) I get to the school to pick her up by 5:45 then we run any errands that are needed. I still have to make dinner she has to do homework then her bedtime is 9:30.
It doesn't leave much time for anything. We have a park down the street from our house,we've never walked there but it could be done. I estimate it would take about 20 minutes. We drove there yesterday to see what it had to offer. It has a nice walking trail around the entire park plus tennis courts that we could probably pretend we know how to play lol. I told her we are going to start walking to the park then walk around the track a few times then walk home. I have a workout facility at my condo but it opens at 8am and closes at 10pm. I could probably go when she goes to bed but then she wouldn't be getting any exercise.

How do you fit it all in??
First off, I applaud you for even wanting to make the effort. A lot of people are so busy that they just give up on trying to live a healthier lifestyle. I don't have kids of my own, but I've dated people who had and it gave me newfound respect for anyone who's a parent and able to stay in good health.

We all have the same 24 hours per day. What I've realized is that something is important enough to you, you'll make the time for it. I have a long commute to and from work so exercising in the evening isn't always an option. So I decided to just get up an hour earlier. Sure it stinks to have to get up so early, but being healthy is worth it. In your case, I think getting up early and investing in a stationary bike or treadmill might be in order. That way, you get in your exercise leaving your evening free to tend to your daughter.

Old 12-11-2008, 04:06 AM

12 posts, read 33,437 times
I have tips here, hope it can help to your guys

1.Almost Isometric Pushups
Traffic Toner
Take the stairs

Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 PM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
How about fixing dinner the night before, for the following day, and then during errand time, do the exercise and come home to dinner that is already made, and just requires heating...that would require you to do errands later, or on the weekends etc. but it might help you fit it in.

Once thing I know for sure is there is always a reason not to do it, and I can usually come up with some really good ones myself :-). it has to be a priority that doesn't get skipped for anything and then you fit everything lese around it....kinda like work or school, you just have to do things after you've gone there.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss