Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 10:01 AM

542 posts, read 1,928,996 times

Advertisements

Okay I'm not positive what the pouch is called but I call it the bottom belly!! lol Since I've gained weight that part of my stomach has grown by leaps and bounds (unfortunately). I know everyone says you can't lose weight in specific areas but.... I still want to know how to target the "dreaded bottom belly"!
I'm also confused about what exercises to do at the gym at my condo (strength training). I'm not positive what the machines are called so bare with me please. I've always been a member at a gym, I'd just go and do a class and call it a day. Now that I'm left to my own devices I'm sooooo confused!!
Okay we have:
1.The machine you lay face down on and lift with your legs (near ankles).
2. The machine you lean back on and push up with both arms (chest press ?? maybe)
3. The machine you sit on and reach up (over head) and pull down towards your chin.
4. The machine you sit on and your arms are kind of like in the goal shape (football) then you have to pull your arms toward each other.
5. The machine you can sit on the floor or stand in front of and pull towards your chest (sitting) or do bicep curls (standing).
6. The bench you can lay on and put your feet behind the bar then lay back. When you lay back your head is closer to the floor... I think you're supposed to do situps on it??

We also have the treadmill, bike, and stairmaster.

Any suggestions will be appreaciated.
Thanks

P.S. the goal is to lose weight, if I can lose 80lbs by june 09 I will be one HAPPY camper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,625,047 times
Can you work out 6 days a week at around 30 minutes per workout??

If so here's my advice to you and that is for example ....on Mon/Wed/Fri lift weights. Do upper body on Mon and Fri and Lower body on Wed then rotate the following week. On Tue/Thur/Sat do cardio like the Exercise Bike for 30 minutes. Warm up on the easiest for 5 min then go 23 min at about 70% of your VO2 max which basically is exercise hard enough to where you could barely talk while exercising but not too hard if that makes sense and then cool down at 2 min at the easiest and there you go as that is it. Just 30 min total.

Simple enough to get started on your machines as this should help you as a beginner. Any other ??'s just ask.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
moving2, I agree, I have the dreaded bottom belly as well. had 2 c-sections and hysterectomy and the belly just folds over that incision! I am working out, and have lost inches in the waist, but this is some stubborn fat! any other suggestions would be helpful. I am not a gym-type person. prefer working out at home.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:50 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,165,593 times
First off.....good for you for deciding to begin a healthier lifestyle! You are already way ahead of the crowd.....
First thing you want to do is start right away....before your first few workout sessions make sure you stretch the part of your body you will be working as your muscles aren't used to what your going to do to them.
Eat right.....cut out soda and sugary drinks....cut out junk and be sure to cut calories (should be between 1200 - 1800 depending on your stats)
Devote an hour a day at least 4 days a week.....the machines you described are a great resource to you....treadmill for cardio 15min. warm up...15min mid-session.....and 15min cool down on your anaerobic days.....work chest back arms and shoulders one day and legs/gluts the next. Important when your doing machines or weights....hold at prime impact for at least 2 seconds and controll the release....this helps tremendously. Don't forget too....it should burn and your muscles should feel tight when your done. Cardio is great too...as much as you can do is awesome

Old 05-28-2010, 05:40 PM

3 posts, read 13,515 times
I had a hysterectomy March 24, 2010, never had a belly to start with, now like these other ladies I have this slight but gross overhang over the incision? Been doing simple exercises, and walk 4miles a day, eat a very healthy diet, whole grains, breads, rice, pasta, protein with each meal, veggies fruits, take vitamins, supplements, minerals, 135 lbs, and 5 ft 8 and like I said this is a shocker to now have this over hang, what can I do and will it get flatter! I'm 55.5 years young., and have taken excellent care of my self all my life!

Old 05-29-2010, 10:41 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,264,921 times
You may need surgical repair. Talk to your doctor. Sometimes when you have a baby or histo you need to repair muscle and skin after. If they made the skin too tight on you in the first place you run the risk of the slice splitting open. Since you just had it I would ask you doctor if they can fit you with some post lipo shorts to help you skin tighten up. Clear it with your doctor though because it has to be fitted right or you can do some damage to yourself. You do not want to damage the tissue further if it just needs some swelling room to heal.

Old 05-31-2010, 04:55 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,238,673 times
Tgat bottom belly is called a pannus (I call it lots worse names!). After losing a 100 lbs, I had heckuva hangy down belly. I discovered that most insurance companies will cover removal of that IF it hangs down below the pubic area enough that it affects the ability to have a normal sexual intercourse....it is considered reconstructive surgery rather than cosmetic surgery, so insurance will often cover it. A good plastic surgeon knows how to write the application letter to the insurance company for approval. That removal is called a panniculectomy and is much more common than you might think....I qualified for not only the sex interference but also because it caused back pain and caused balance issues - those were the criteria my PS wrote in my application letter and it was approved in just a few days. It made a wonderful difference in how my body felt to me and how clothes fit me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss