Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Struggling dieter lost one pound in three weeks, need motivation, positive attitude, could suffer from low level depression, emotional food issues, low thyroid, low cortisol and hormone balance

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 02:03 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times

Advertisements

sigh. I am the worlds worst dieter. Truly and Honestly, I am. I dislike being "heavy". After being very slim and in amazing shape most of my life, having a smallish but very enviable figure for so long, and then within a short amount of time becoming "rather chubby" its depressing. So, I get all worked up, motivated and on board with a "new and healthier me!!" And I do terrific!! for a few weeks. I eat better, I cut back on the bad for me stuff, and eat more of the good for me stuff. And I exersize doing things that I dont HATE to do. and after 3weeks or so, i lose a (A!!! as in ONE!!!) pound or so But then, I take a day off. Or I find a yummy i just cant resist. And I tell myself, Tomorrow.......then, tomorrow comes, and I dont do it. Often, i try, but I just dont. The mere thought of exersize will reduce me to depression, and trying to put together a "healthier lunch" can reduce me to tears. and within a few short days, that pound, and MORE will return (typically to my butt, but sometimes to my thighs..sigh) Plain and simple, I DONT like most healthy foods. Ive tried. Ive even tried to dress up the healthy stuff w/something more "like peanut butter on my celery" and where I love rasberries, I'll splurge for a bowl of em, but then, Im always left feeling cheated. Theres about 3 veggies I like. Asperagas, fresh corn on the cob, brocolli. And thats pretty much it. I like rasberries, grapefruit, and on the vine tomatos. Anything else, blech. So i can fill up on those "good foods" and still want something more, something to make my taste buds HAPPY!! People tell me, Exersize, you'll feel better for it!! but I dont. I feel tired, and sore, and blah. It DOESNT invigorate me, it feels like a chore. Even doing "FUN!!" stuff like jumping on the trampoline, or dancing like a fool to songs I love. Works great for a few days, then its like "Oh blahh!!!" I dont like being chubby, but i truly HATE the exersize/dieting. And i just cant stick with it, no matter what motivations I put up or how much enthusiasm I start with. After working all day in a high energy job, then coming home to husband and 3 kids, I just dont have that extra in me. Whats wrong with me? is it just cuz Im so freakin lazy? I think Im kinda sad about all this. but not sure HOW to change Any thoughts? besides the ever so helpful "YOU JUST HAVE TO WANT IT MORE" sigh.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,677,349 times
You sound so negative about it. Maybe if you tried to get a "positive" attitude about it, that would help.
I mean, I would much rather sit around and find excuses, and put it off until tomorrow too, but there comes a day, that you have to tell yourself, that THIS IS IT! Then, be excited about it. Look forward to your workouts! That just means that you are willing to put an effort into changing it, and you really WANT to!
I work hard all day too, but I have sat myself a "time" to get myself on the treadmill. I make sure that nothing stands in my way, to be apt to change my mind...so quickly.
Don`t weigh yourself everyday. Pick yourself a day. Start positive, and do it! Weigh yourself like the 1rst of the month. We have put our beginning weight on the refrig. and we will write down our weight change, every month.
Oh, and I also wanted to add, that if you have a bad, lazy day...thats ok. Just pick back up tomorrow, and start over!

Old 02-14-2009, 07:56 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
sigh. I am the worlds worst dieter. Truly and Honestly, I am. I dislike being "heavy". After being very slim and in amazing shape most of my life, having a smallish but very enviable figure for so long, and then within a short amount of time becoming "rather chubby" its depressing. So, I get all worked up, motivated and on board with a "new and healthier me!!" And I do terrific!! for a few weeks. I eat better, I cut back on the bad for me stuff, and eat more of the good for me stuff. And I exersize doing things that I dont HATE to do. and after 3weeks or so, i lose a (A!!! as in ONE!!!) pound or so But then, I take a day off. Or I find a yummy i just cant resist. And I tell myself, Tomorrow.......then, tomorrow comes, and I dont do it. Often, i try, but I just dont. The mere thought of exersize will reduce me to depression, and trying to put together a "healthier lunch" can reduce me to tears. and within a few short days, that pound, and MORE will return (typically to my butt, but sometimes to my thighs..sigh) Plain and simple, I DONT like most healthy foods. Ive tried. Ive even tried to dress up the healthy stuff w/something more "like peanut butter on my celery" and where I love rasberries, I'll splurge for a bowl of em, but then, Im always left feeling cheated. Theres about 3 veggies I like. Asperagas, fresh corn on the cob, brocolli. And thats pretty much it. I like rasberries, grapefruit, and on the vine tomatos. Anything else, blech. So i can fill up on those "good foods" and still want something more, something to make my taste buds HAPPY!! People tell me, Exersize, you'll feel better for it!! but I dont. I feel tired, and sore, and blah. It DOESNT invigorate me, it feels like a chore. Even doing "FUN!!" stuff like jumping on the trampoline, or dancing like a fool to songs I love. Works great for a few days, then its like "Oh blahh!!!" I dont like being chubby, but i truly HATE the exersize/dieting. And i just cant stick with it, no matter what motivations I put up or how much enthusiasm I start with. After working all day in a high energy job, then coming home to husband and 3 kids, I just dont have that extra in me. Whats wrong with me? is it just cuz Im so freakin lazy? I think Im kinda sad about all this. but not sure HOW to change Any thoughts? besides the ever so helpful "YOU JUST HAVE TO WANT IT MORE" sigh.....
I think your feelings are very normal. Nobody wants to diet. It's not natural.

I don't know how overweight you are, but if you're not obese, and you feel good and are in good heatlh, then my advice to you is to stop dieting. Just let your natural appetite return (which could take a while if you've been a yo-yo dieter). You'll find that when you're not demonizing your favorite foods, and you're not depriving yourself of foods you truly enjoy, you won't crave them quite so much. It takes awhile, but you'll start to eat naturally...some junkie foods, and some healthy foods.

I really think dieting messes up a person's mind and makes things much worse than just being a few pounds overweight. I mean, what would you rather be, plump and content....or skinny and a neurotic mess?

Old 02-14-2009, 08:16 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,243,082 times
So, what's it going to take before you feel motivated, a heart attack? There's really no substitute for self discipline. No one is going to do it for you. Sounds like you have some emotional issues around food. It's your security blanket. It's your drug. You have low level depression and food gives you a dopamine rush that lifts your mood. You also might have food allergies, yeast infection, low thyroid, low cortisol. You need a professional that knows what they're doing to see what's going on. Get your hormone levels checked. Don't give up. I read a study on smokers - the more often you try the more likely you are to eventually succeed. Good luck.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:20 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,243,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
I think your feelings are very normal. Nobody wants to diet. It's not natural.
Of course it's natural. Diet isn't a verb; it's a noun. Your diet is what you eat. If you think of it as unnatural that's a good ingredient for failure. If you think of natural foods as a healthy diet that's a positive step.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:47 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,995,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Of course it's natural. Diet isn't a verb; it's a noun. Your diet is what you eat. If you think of it as unnatural that's a good ingredient for failure. If you think of natural foods as a healthy diet that's a positive step.
Oh good grief..."diet" is a verb too.

What I SAID is that it's unnatural to go on a restrictive eating regimen that deprives and creates cravings (i.e., a "diet"). Dieting CAUSES depression by making people feel hungry, sick, and deprived.

Self-discipline is one thing, but dieting is another. Especially fad diets. They're harmful and unnatural.

Again, I say just stop dieting altogether and try to eat instinctively. Just let your body tell you when you're genuninly hungry, and listen to what it tells you to eat.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM

563 posts, read 1,450,079 times
My advice....go take a long powerwalk on the beautiful Oregon beach! If that's not motivating, I don't know what is. Be sure to take your camera, Tiff!
I quit smoking a year ago and gained about 15 pounds...I feel like a tub! Oh, and the cravings for sweets. UGH!
So I bought a Trek road bike and as soon as this nasty weather lets up, I'm gonna ride around the block (about 4 miles). And promise to ride horses more!

Old 02-14-2009, 10:06 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiffela74 View Post
You're pretty typical and way too hard on yourself. Can you try gradually cutting down on portions? You can't do it overnight - it's too drastic. But take the time of cutting back for 3 weeks eating - not the crummy healthy carrots and celery sticks (that will kill you) - but ordinary food - not fried - even a cheese sandwich on whole grain bread (or tuna) for lunch. Yogurt for a midday snack with an apple. Eating small and often (every 3 hours) won't leave you hungry. This works best for me.

I have always tried to walk five days a week at a good clip daily but I can tell you that when I was working I was TIRED. I tried to walk at noon - that works best when you're working.

I find if I eat whole grain toast in the morning with regular jelly and cup of tea - that will last me 3 hours. If I eat a salad with veggies and chickpeas for lunch (something that will stay in my belly and good protein there), I'll be good until dinner. (The main thing is to eat protein which fills and not fluff food, and fill your sweet tooth with a Nips piece of candy.)

I like dinner to be my lightest meal. It makes a huge difference to stay light before bedtime. You really lose weight that way. If you're starving around bedtime, have a hard-boiled egg. Good luck. Go easy on yourself. Don't set the bar too unrealistically high. Take your time.

Old 02-14-2009, 10:47 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,051,201 times
well, i dont think im at obese yet....Im 5ft6 and 144lbs. So, rather heavy, but not huge. sigh. And Ive tried to be positive about it. I set goals, I write out a journal, when I reach goals i have a reward, involve others....but no matter what i try, or how much i say "wow, carrots really are good for me, and they do wonderful things for my body, so they are my friend!" i still dont like the taste of them. blech.
I totally know what you mean DezertGirl, i quit smoking a few years ago, and the pounds packed on FAST! Then, i got kidney stones and bloated up soemthing awful, for some reason, after that, its been really really hard to lose the weight. I cut out all pop (used to have at LEAST 3 henry root beers a day) most sweets, cut my portions about in 1/2, and try to keep moving. I thought doing all that, would drop my weight, but it didnt. Im pretty active, i coach girls gymnastics, so Im either up and down, moving about, catching kids, or throwing them. You'd think that would count for exersize. lol I keep trying to use the kids (even more so, MY kids) as motivation to do better and lose more, but I keep losing that battle. I walk the beaches quite a bit actually, its something I love to do. But the getting down and doing an hour on the glider, or jogging for an hour, that kinda stuff, i just cant keep myself motivated. And as for eating better....ugh. What do you do when you truly truly dislike most veggies? I mean, as in most of them literally make me gag. Ive gotten all my levels checked, and Dr says all look fine. Guess its my willpower and brain that are screwy.....

Old 02-14-2009, 10:51 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,742,566 times
You could have your thyroid checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss