Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 07:50 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,061,759 times

Advertisements

I am sooo disgusted with myself. Gained weight etc, but ,right now, I don't give a damn. I am worried about diabetes and heart disease. How do I get my give a beaver damn back?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,827,129 times
Do you think all people who are thin are that way because they have more will power than you? Fat people are fat because they have less will power than thin people? Perfect correlation: thin/high willpower - fat/low willpower?

But to answer your question, spend some time looking at unhealthy people. You want to be like them?

I would recommend alcoholics park outside a liquor store on a week night after quitting time. Notice all the alcoholics who go in there. They look haggard, depressed, tired, dissipated. That's a good motivator not to drink. You want to be like those guys? Keep drinking then.

Lou Holtz (Notre Dame football coach 1980s) responded to someone who called him a great motivator by saying "I'm not a great motivator, I'm just good a weeding out people who can't motivate themselves."

Old 04-03-2013, 08:06 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,042,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
How do I get my give a beaver damn back?
Do not get a tattoo of this phrase.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
Do not get a tattoo of this phrase.
Tattoos are just not my thing-BUT IF I wanted to get one that would NOT be my first pick.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Do you think all people who are thin are that way because they have more will power than you? Fat people are fat because they have less will power than thin people? Perfect correlation: thin/high willpower - fat/low willpower?

But to answer your question, spend some time looking at unhealthy people. You want to be like them?

I would recommend alcoholics park outside a liquor store on a week night after quitting time. Notice all the alcoholics who go in there. They look haggard, depressed, tired, dissipated. That's a good motivator not to drink. You want to be like those guys? Keep drinking then.

Lou Holtz (Notre Dame football coach 1980s) responded to someone who called him a great motivator by saying "I'm not a great motivator, I'm just good a weeding out people who can't motivate themselves."
No. I know some thin people who are unhealthy, but what concerns me is my increased NON motivation to exercise, you know some Yoga, walking, etc. It is not healthy what I am doing: smoking, not exercising etc. I do know I am due to have mouth surgery in May, that is an opportunity to quit smoking. I hope after I heal I can start back with Yoga, maybe Tai Chi, and just get out of this blue funk. Of course drinking more green,red, and white tea, and less diet soda which is not too good for a person either.

Old 04-04-2013, 05:42 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,816,265 times
It sounds like you're being more of an armchair enthusiast rather than an active enthusiast. "Some Yoga, walking, etc." "smoking, not exercising, etc." You hope to do something in the future (after you heal you can start exercise), but you aren't doing it to day. You want to get out of the funk, but you're not GETTING out of the funk. You want "more green, red, white tea and less diet soda" - how much more, exactly? How many more glasses of water will you drink? How many fewer cans of diet soda per day?

What is your -plan?- You don't have a plan. You have a wish list. You can't get motivated off a wish list. You can't work a wish list. You work a plan.

So my suggestion:

Call the doctor TODAY and ask him if you're a good candidate for Chantix. If you are, pick up a starter packet from him. It's good for the first week. Make tomorrow morning your first day. Don't wait til a Sunday just because that's when weeks start. YOUR week will start tomorrow.

During this first Chantix week, schedule 20 minutes for *brisk* exercise every morning. If you have to get up 20 minutes earlier to do it, then that's what you have to do. If it means getting to bed 20 minutes earlier the night before, that's what you have to do. Rule: You can't shower until you've had at least 20 minutes of *brisk* exercise.

Brisk exercise: jogging in place. Jumping jacks. Hoola hoop. Running/jogging/speed walking around the block. Trampoline jumping. Cardio machines at the gym.

Schedule another 10 minutes of core training every day. Weighted squats, situps, pushups, planks, lunges. These are things you can do during your lunch break, and still have time to eat lunch. If there's no place at work to put an exercise mat or you feel uncomfortable using the grass for the mat work, then just stick with squats and lunges. But do them for a full 10 minutes. Alternate, and do walking lunges to really work your hamstrings and balance.

Yoga and Tai Chi is great, but they don't smack you into motivation. They are the things you can do once you have gotten your motivation back. Do the above every day until mouth surgery. Schedule it into your day, don't merely say "Oh I'll do some stuff etc. tomorrow" or "I want to get this done." Like Nike says: Just do it.

Oh and - skip the soda entirely, eat more veggies, reduce starches, and add more water. If yo do get the Chantix, you'll want to go a little lighter on the fats than whatever you're eating currently. Not for dieting purposes - but because Chantix tends to make your stomach kind of murky-feeling whenever a meal contains fat. That feeling goes away after the first week.

Old 04-05-2013, 09:51 PM

I need to start up with Chantix, again. The only side effect, for me, is insomnia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss