Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 05:50 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,805 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I hope everything is going well. But my question is how do you stay motivated in the weight loss department. I was highly motivated in my 20s. Always had to be slim and hot!. Now I am back to my old emotional eating habits and it is hard to break because I am always bored and get sick of things fast. I have always been an emotional eater and pretty much been on a diet since I was five.

I know all the healthy things to eat or whatever. I just hate the thought of eating a salad because all it reminds me is that I am on a "quote healthy eating plan and it reminds me of dieting.

Also with weight gain that I have I go out less feel bad, feel fat and then eat more. How do you break this cycle when you feel like the weight loss is not worth it. I feel like even if I lose weight. I will attract more men, possibly get my heart broken and go through another emotional rollercoaster, and please do not say for your health. I have a lost a great bit of it over the last year and half.
Eating really is the only thing that makes me happy right now, so it is hard to give it up. I go on a "healthier eating plan for a day or two and then I am sick of it.
Maybe if I had a chef or something I would definitely stick with it more. But I figure out many times what is the point. If I lose the weight then what is this it when it comes to life.

Also, I am absorber of my environment, I do not like Chicago and need to leave, but I am working full time and paying back debt that I occurred.

Furthermore, I developed a nerve issue where sometimes I do not get full even after eating heavy meal. My stomach feels like I ate nothing. My dad has this problem too and he was always thin. He did not even like food so I am not making this up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,780,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Hi Everyone,
I hope everything is going well. But my question is how do you stay motivated in the weight loss department. I was highly motivated in my 20s. Always had to be slim and hot!. Now I am back to my old emotional eating habits and it is hard to break because I am always bored and get sick of things fast. I have always been an emotional eater and pretty much been on a diet since I was five.

I know all the healthy things to eat or whatever. I just hate the thought of eating a salad because all it reminds me is that I am on a "quote healthy eating plan and it reminds me of dieting.

Also with weight gain that I have I go out less feel bad, feel fat and then eat more. How do you break this cycle when you feel like the weight loss is not worth it. I feel like even if I lose weight. I will attract more men, possibly get my heart broken and go through another emotional rollercoaster, and please do not say for your health. I have a lost a great bit of it over the last year and half.
Eating really is the only thing that makes me happy right now, so it is hard to give it up. I go on a "healthier eating plan for a day or two and then I am sick of it.
Maybe if I had a chef or something I would definitely stick with it more. But I figure out many times what is the point. If I lose the weight then what is this it when it comes to life.

Also, I am absorber of my environment, I do not like Chicago and need to leave, but I am working full time and paying back debt that I occurred.

Furthermore, I developed a nerve issue where sometimes I do not get full even after eating heavy meal. My stomach feels like I ate nothing. My dad has this problem too and he was always thin. He did not even like food so I am not making this up.
I'm seeing a bunch of issues going on, from your post.

From the beginning: "...or whatever" indicates to me that you don't really take any of this very seriously.

And so, there's no point in offering any advice. Perhaps when you can at least pretend to care about your health, you will post again. And then I'll offer some.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:47 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Hi Everyone,

Wow, so many issues.

I hate to break it to you, but you will not be able to lose weight and keep it off, unless you address the issues that cause you to eat for emotional reasons.

You have to be able to discern the difference between being hungry and just wanting to eat. They are not at all the same thing.

You will need to get the idea of "comfort food" right out of your head, and see food instead as fuel for your body to run on - not as a reward, or a cure for boredom, or a way to quit thinking about something else. You will need to find other ways to reward yourself, comfort yourself, or keep yourself occupied.

You will need to be able to rejoice in a healthy salad and love it for all it gives you, rather than despising it because it "reminds you of dieting."

First and foremost, you will have to get over your expressed fear of health and attractiveness.

As long as you are this contorted emotionally, you will not be able to successfully implement the lifestyle changes necessary to maintain a healthy weight and energy level.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:05 PM

6,102 posts, read 8,819,357 times
I think a counselor is in order to help you sort through your many issues. The number one way to stay motivated is that you WANT to lose weight and be healthy. Not the idea of it, not the fantasy of it, but the reality of it. Once you have set your goal and committed yourself you will see its not depriving yourself at all, but opening up a whole new world to yourself that is filled with great self esteem, body image and awesome energy. Its all good. But YOU have to make a choice as to what is more important to you....food or health.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:44 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,839,757 times
Please consider talking to a therapist. I understand how you feel. Before you try losing any weight please focus on making yourself happy. Go on a vacation or volunteer in your community to meet new people, or do anything that interests you on a regular basis. Your desire to live a long & happy life is the source of your motivation to lose weight. You have stayed fit most of your life & you know how to lose weight & keep it off so I dont think its about "how" but "why" should you lose weight. Work on that "why" issues first. Following a separation or losing a loved one demotivates most people & everyone goes through a phase of giving up on life & losing control of things that mattered before. Try to break out of that phase by trying new activities that make you happy. Once you get into a routine & get your life back on track the motivation will automatically follow. Also try reading some self-help books. Yoga/meditation also helps a LOT in the healing process & letting go of any emotional issues. I use this site a lot for free guided meditations:
fragrantheart.com

All the best.

Old 09-25-2012, 09:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,755,036 times
Quote:
Q1: how do you stay motivated in the weight loss department.
Q2: How do you break this cycle when you feel like the weight loss is not worth it.
Q1: You just stay motivated. It's simple and easy.
Q2: You just eat healthier. It's simple and easy.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
Please consider talking to a therapist. I understand how you feel. Before you try losing any weight please focus on making yourself happy. Go on a vacation or volunteer in your community to meet new people, or do anything that interests you on a regular basis. Your desire to live a long & happy life is the source of your motivation to lose weight. You have stayed fit most of your life & you know how to lose weight & keep it off so I dont think its about "how" but "why" should you lose weight. Work on that "why" issues first. Following a separation or losing a loved one demotivates most people & everyone goes through a phase of giving up on life & losing control of things that mattered before. Try to break out of that phase by trying new activities that make you happy. Once you get into a routine & get your life back on track the motivation will automatically follow. Also try reading some self-help books. Yoga/meditation also helps a LOT in the healing process & letting go of any emotional issues. I use this site a lot for free guided meditations:
fragrantheart.com

All the best.

Thanks, but my interested are my career and because of my new chronic fatigue syndrome possible mold illiness. I can not be on my feet for a long period of time. I loved being an independent contractor doing working as a convention model and print model. But ever since this I had to work a quote 9-5 because it is a sit down job and I hate it. I just like the steady money.

The only thing I did not like about being a contractor was lack planning with money since I like to plan everything.

I have never been a weekend person and always found them blah with no energy. That is why I did not mind working the weekends. I never looked forward to them in the first place. I love Monday mornings and the energy. I use to make out my perspective phone calls to clients and agencies.

There is not activity that makes me happier than my career. I have done the vacation, activity thing and it does not just work for me unless my career is in full swing. I can half way enjoy it if I am working. If I just working a regular job, it is me not a big deal

In addition, I am not looking to get married and have children so I loved the career thing of traveling to different cities, staying in hotels, meeting business men, flirting, and looking hot on top of that.

If I can not do that then really what is the point. I am very driven motivatied person and I just do not like average things. Not that there is anything wrong with them, it just does not do it for me.

On top of that this is the toughest weight loss for me yet, I have not seen my family in a few months. My dad and sister are chronically ill too and they do not come and visit.
My mom would come and visit but I do not get along with her. That is another story.
I have to admit that I am by myself all the time and have not seen my family in months, but then when I took a vacation I went somewhere else, Seattle, a place I wanted to go.
But then I feel guilty for not visiting my family, but then I get angry thinking I should have a life. This is what I want to do. I will be visiting during Christmas.

However, there are other family members I have seen in years, and I missed them too. Lastly, I have not been happy since the day I graduated from college, and the funny part is I have on gaining and losing weight rollercoaster since. Literally, the day I graduated from college I started to gain weight. I was a little underweight I was 155. I notice if I am happy I am superthin.

College was the only time in my life when my weight was steady 160-165 5'11 and ever since then I have varied from 168-202. Who knows what I am now, I am afraid to weight myself

Lastly, since I have this new illiness I have lost control a little what I eat. If I eat too many raw vegetables I might be sick. So, I can not pile up the salad like I use to for fast weight lost. This what has happened to my dad and he has never had a weight problem or emotional eater.

Even this morning I was frustrated, I eat healthy and then I get bloated carrying a bunch of water weight. This stuff pissed me off too and think why I am even trying anymore. I know I need to talk to someone about all this. I just had to vent. Sorry for the long post.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
fragrantheart.com

All the best.
Really, I might give yoga a try. But the how do you get past the bored. The first thing in my mind I think of is boring. I like to go things like kayak, hiking, and parasailing. I know stuff that does not happen on a daily basis.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:43 PM

Quote:
fragrantheart.com

All the best.

Thanks asma. I have thought of a desire to live a long happy life, but I feel like sometimes I will never be truly a happy again like I was in college. Since I am not getting married or having kids what is the purpose.

Lastly, I feel like I will never reach my money goals and if I do I will be too old to enjoy it. If I feel like I can not reach a goal in a certain time period, I do not see the point of existing.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Wow, so many issues.

I hate to break it to you, but you will not be able to lose weight and keep it off, unless you address the issues that cause you to eat for emotional reasons.

You have to be able to discern the difference between being hungry and just wanting to eat. They are not at all the same thing.

You will need to get the idea of "comfort food" right out of your head, and see food instead as fuel for your body to run on - not as a reward, or a cure for boredom, or a way to quit thinking about something else. You will need to find other ways to reward yourself, comfort yourself, or keep yourself occupied.

You will need to be able to rejoice in a healthy salad and love it for all it gives you, rather than despising it because it "reminds you of dieting."

First and foremost, you will have to get over your expressed fear of health and attractiveness.

As long as you are this contorted emotionally, you will not be able to successfully implement the lifestyle changes necessary to maintain a healthy weight and energy level.
I have never really had hunger cues unless I am on a healthy eating plan. Now because of illiness I really dont have any hunger cue in my stomach. They mask now in heartburn or other weird ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss