Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 01:48 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,831,790 times

Advertisements

Honestly, you just need to break through the wall. Dont even try starting with a diet, instead slowly start performing what you would consider "fun" workouts. Whether its sports or biking or other physical activity. Eat what your eating now but start slowly exercising more and more. Slowly work into daily activity for an hour or more. From there, the eating will follow. At least that is what worked for me. I lost 20 lbs from college at one point. I am back up because of muscle though. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2012, 04:25 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuy2.5 View Post
Honestly, you just need to break through the wall. Dont even try starting with a diet, instead slowly start performing what you would consider "fun" workouts. Whether its sports or biking or other physical activity. Eat what your eating now but start slowly exercising more and more. Slowly work into daily activity for an hour or more. From there, the eating will follow. At least that is what worked for me. I lost 20 lbs from college at one point. I am back up because of muscle though. Good luck!

Thanks, I already am quite active. I live in a walkable city and do not have a car. I was actually walking, jogging up to three miles a day plus daily walking. I still gained 10lbs because of stress and health issues.

I keep saying I am going to take this dance class. I am going to try that this week.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephei2000 View Post
Thanks, I already am quite active. I live in a walkable city and do not have a car. I was actually walking, jogging up to three miles a day plus daily walking. I still gained 10lbs because of stress and health issues.

I keep saying I am going to take this dance class. I am going to try that this week.
Here the thing about emotional eating which I assume you do not have a problem with. You can exercise day and night, fun activities and still keep on or gain weight as bigger issues have to be address.

This when I knew I had a problem, I would workout lots of cardio and still gained about 10lbs in 6 weeks and not muscle. I realized this a few years ago.

The gym use to work it all out but not anymore. Plus I would catch colds if I work out too much.

Old 09-25-2012, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asma410 View Post
Please consider talking to a therapist. I understand how you feel. Before you try losing any weight please focus on making yourself happy. Go on a vacation or volunteer in your community to meet new people, or do anything that interests you on a regular basis. Your desire to live a long & happy life is the source of your motivation to lose weight. You have stayed fit most of your life & you know how to lose weight & keep it off so I dont think its about "how" but "why" should you lose weight. Work on that "why" issues first. Following a separation or losing a loved one demotivates most people & everyone goes through a phase of giving up on life & losing control of things that mattered before. Try to break out of that phase by trying new activities that make you happy. Once you get into a routine & get your life back on track the motivation will automatically follow. Also try reading some self-help books. Yoga/meditation also helps a LOT in the healing process & letting go of any emotional issues. I use this site a lot for free guided meditations:
fragrantheart.com

All the best.

Thanks for the help. I have some things that I have been ignoring and now I have to face them. This is what I realized from writing this out.
I might get to weight I want because of the nerve problem. Sometimes I eat instantly get heartburn from anything.
But I have better control now. I going after the people that caused this health problem to begin with. I was so scared and did not have a lawyer on my side, but now I am just going for it because I have to stand up for myself.

Old 09-25-2012, 07:18 PM

3,339 posts, read 5,986,879 times
While I know it is not popular around here, I really think you could benefit from a primal type lifestyle. From reading what you've posted you sound depressed and frustrated. It also sounds like you have some health and stress issues. I can relate to all of that, and I've also struggled with my weight all of my life. I think reading The Primal Blueprint (or visiting the blog/forum at Mark's Daily Apple) could at least give you a fresh perspective and renew your motivation.

Just keep in mind that stress alone can cause weight gain and/or prevent weight loss. Depression can make you feel tired all the time, no matter how much you sleep. Both of those things make weight loss nearly impossible, at least they have for me in the past.

Personally, I stay motivated by surrounding myself with like-minded people when it comes to lifestyle (I'm following The Primal Blueprint) and by continuing to try and learn more about health and weight loss. I read a lot of health blogs and books. I'm open to trying just about anything and I keep what works and lose the rest, that's how I found The Primal Blueprint in the first place, actually... I felt as though I had really tried every other plan out there and I just couldn't stick with them and therefore never got the results I wanted.

So, that's my two cents, for what it's worth.

Old 09-26-2012, 10:41 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Stephei2000, every bit of advice that people are giving you, you are pushing away, or giving reasons why you can't follow their suggestions or why their ideas won't work for you. I would like to remind you of your OP:

Quote:
I feel like even if I lose weight. I will attract more men, possibly get my heart broken and go through another emotional rollercoaster, and please do not say for your health. I have a lost a great bit of it over the last year and half.
Eating really is the only thing that makes me happy right now, so it is hard to give it up. I go on a "healthier eating plan for a day or two and then I am sick of it.
Maybe if I had a chef or something I would definitely stick with it more. But I figure out many times what is the point. If I lose the weight then what is this it when it comes to life.

Also, I am absorber of my environment, I do not like Chicago and need to leave, but I am working full time and paying back debt that I occurred.

Furthermore, I developed a nerve issue where sometimes I do not get full even after eating heavy meal. My stomach feels like I ate nothing. My dad has this problem too and he was always thin. He did not even like food so I am not making this up.
Most of what you are writing actually seems to point more to emotional than physical issues. I know people with lupus, with MS, and with chronic fatigue syndrome, who manage to stay at a healthy weight in spite of their illnesses, because they work at dealing with the EMOTIONAL side of their illness - and their lives in general.

It truly does sound to me like you have serious emotional issues you need to deal with in order to gain control over your eating patterns, and your life in general.

Old 09-26-2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Stephei2000, every bit of advice that people are giving you, you are pushing away, or giving reasons why you can't follow their suggestions or why their ideas won't work for you. I would like to remind you of your OP:

Most of what you are writing actually seems to point more to emotional than physical issues. I know people with lupus, with MS, and with chronic fatigue syndrome, who manage to stay at a healthy weight in spite of their illnesses, because they work at dealing with the EMOTIONAL side of their illness - and their lives in general.

It truly does sound to me like you have serious emotional issues you need to deal with in order to gain control over your eating patterns, and your life in general.

I can only agree with some of that. However, when you have nerve problems with food it is a different issue. I have always had emotional eating but not gain weight as fast. I was able to eat lots of vegetables and chose foods. If I eat some of these foods now, I could have stomach problems and nerve issues for days.
This runs in my family and nobody else has emotional eating issues, but they gained a ton of weight because of it. My sister and dad do not like this and do not see food as reward, but they are much bigger now because of it.
Have ever a ate anything and instant had heartburn in the middle of the night, and the only thing that would stop is a piece of chicken. I have to sometimes eat late night to settle my stomach and fall asleep.

The only thing that I agree with this that nothing is more relaxing than chilling out reading and eating some good food. Going to the spa does not cut it.

Trying other ways to relax is not really fun for me. Also when I work out I am still going to want to eat.
I am not going to deny myself all of "try other ways to relax". I do enjoy food, I just have to try eat different foods that are healthier but not mess up stomach at the same time.
This does not have happen every night but enough to put on some weight, and the only reason I was skinny when I first had this disease is I only ate protein and no carbs, but that is not real.

You have no idea what is like to eat healthy salad or whatever feels like you ate nothing

Old 09-26-2012, 01:32 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Quote:
You have no idea what is like to eat healthy salad or whatever feels like you ate nothing
How do you know this?

What disease do you have exactly?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:44 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
What disease or health problem have you been diagnosed with exactly?

Old 09-26-2012, 05:50 PM

6,103 posts, read 8,814,359 times
Quote:
Here the thing about emotional eating which I assume you do not have a problem with. You can exercise day and night, fun activities and still keep on or gain weight as bigger issues have to be address.

This when I knew I had a problem, I would workout lots of cardio and still gained about 10lbs in 6 weeks and not muscle. I realized this a few years ago.

The gym use to work it all out but not anymore. Plus I would catch colds if I work out too much.
None of what you are saying is really adding up, or making any sense. If you gained 10lbs in 6 weeks while doing lots of cardio you had to have been eating a LOT of calories. A lot. You would also have to be in poor health and work yourself to the bone in order to catch colds from working out. You can certainly catch a cold from the germs in a gym, but not so much from the exercise.
Please tell us what your health problem is so that way we can offer advice which I why I believe you are here in the first place, right?
Have you been diagnosed with something? Are you on medication? Must you adhere to a certain type of diet, and if so what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss