Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 03:23 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times

Advertisements

We've all been told it's better to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day than 3 big ones and that leaving huge gaps between meals will slow down your metabolism. The recommendation I hear the most is to eat every 3 hours. But what happens if you're not all that hungry? Common sense would dictate that you not eat. But doesn't that fly in the face of all the reasons we've been told to eat every 3 hours (keep the metabolism from slowing down, stabilizing blood sugar, etc.)? I've had days where 5 hours go by until I'm really hungry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 03:48 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
We've all been told it's better to eat 5-6 smaller meals per day than 3 big ones and that leaving huge gaps between meals will slow down your metabolism. The recommendation I hear the most is to eat every 3 hours. But what happens if you're not all that hungry? Common sense would dictate that you not eat. But doesn't that fly in the face of all the reasons we've been told to eat every 3 hours (keep the metabolism from slowing down, stabilizing blood sugar, etc.)? I've had days where 5 hours go by until I'm really hungry.

Shoot Denny....I've gone all freakin' day long and not been hungry. Not sure why....just sometimes that happens. I only eat when I'm hungry - never by a clock. If I did that I'd be big as a house. I think the whole "many small meals" thing (which I do) is for those people that DO have blood pressure and sugar issues, and also those people that are suceptible to eating disorders. Some people, if they let themselves get too hungry, will binge and that's where they get screwed up. I personally cannot eat a lot of food at one time - I just can't. So a restaurant meal is something I'll never ever finish (a reason I hardly ever eat out unless it's with my son the garbage disposal!). But if I'm not hungry...I'm not eating. I rely on my body to tell me when it needs food....not the clock.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM

733 posts, read 1,928,720 times
Quote:
I think the concept is that they don't want you to wait till your really hungry because you may over eat. If you consistently eat throughout the day, you won't over eat, and you'll keep your body fueled.

Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
Quote:
Well that goes on depending if you are getting the proper amt of cals per feeding. What you do is divide your total needed cals in section of 200.
Most people use between 200-400 per 3-4 hours. Taking in the fuel regularly set you up for constant eating so you dont feel deprived and over eat. It also makes for a more even blood sugar, making shedding the weight easier.

There have been days where I have been so busy I didn't realize I didn't eat until the end of the day. But I didnt feel hungry until I relaxed. I think your mind can influence the stomach so much we have no true idea on that.

But anyway try to tweak the rule. I find the difference between 3 or 5 doesnt mean much in weightloss/fatloss for me. Skipping breakfast can make me eat more at dinner time on normal days. Also it doesn't have to be a "meal" watered down juice for breakfast works fine.

If you are not counting calories this method could make you gain weight if you just do it robotically.

Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,645,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoLoveLost View Post
I think the concept is that they don't want you to wait till your really hungry because you may over eat. If you consistently eat throughout the day, you won't over eat, and you'll keep your body fueled.
Well I understand the reasoning behind it. I usually don't wait til I'm ravenously hungry cause I know I'll over eat. But at the same time, my appetite doesn't always kick in after 3 hours. I know the meals I'm eating aren't too big. I guess I'm just wondering how much truth there is to the idea that your metabolism slows down if you don't eat often. I'm a big believer in listening to your body and not overcomplicating things. But it's when you start having a conversation with yourself where you tell yourself to eat because your metabolism will slow down or your blood sugar will drop, that's where I feel thinking actually does more harm than good. I can't imagine the caveman checking his watch to see if he needs to eat. I think I'm going to deviate from the 5-6 meal rule. Seems like it's more work than necessary.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:52 AM

733 posts, read 1,928,720 times
Quote:
Well I understand the reasoning behind it. I usually don't wait til I'm ravenously hungry cause I know I'll over eat. But at the same time, my appetite doesn't always kick in after 3 hours. I know the meals I'm eating aren't too big. I guess I'm just wondering how much truth there is to the idea that your metabolism slows down if you don't eat often. I'm a big believer in listening to your body and not overcomplicating things. But it's when you start having a conversation with yourself where you tell yourself to eat because your metabolism will slow down or your blood sugar will drop, that's where I feel thinking actually does more harm than good. I can't imagine the caveman checking his watch to see if he needs to eat. I think I'm going to deviate from the 5-6 meal rule. Seems like it's more work than necessary.
Your blood sugar may drop. I listen to my body too, but you should be aware that when you are focused on other things, your mind may not tell your body it needs fuel until it is too late. the "5 times a day" is merely a guide.

There have been times when I have gone the whole day (even days) without eating (I was under a lot of stress). Doesn't mean it is ok, my mind just wasn't telling me I needed to eat...and I wasn't hungry. Doesn't mean my body didn't need the food either. It's horrible for you body to starve it.

The eating 5 times a day is a *guide* to provide structure to your diet and your body the necessary fuel you need throughout the day. It isn't necessarily written in stone.

Find what works for you........

Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 7,149 times
Default here is a little secret

Eating 4 to 6 meal a day works to maintain or lose weight when done properly. The secret to eating these meals is that two meals are more snack than actual meals. 2 of your meals should primarily consist of juicy fruit types i.e. apples, oranges, melons etc., preferably at breakfast and last meal before bed. This method also calls for heavy water drinking equaling atleast 1/2 ounce of water for every pound you weigh. This helps to flush body of toxins, excess waste, and helps to pass some weigh through urine. Eating 8 to 16 ounces of fruit during these meals kicks metabolism during the day and keeps metabolism high at night while asleep. Most people do not realize that you can burn heavy calories while asleep if you eat the right food before bed.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:41 PM

1,869 posts, read 4,024,062 times
Jusst my two cents but I think eating 5-6 times a day is stressful on the body. Food can take from 20 minutes (small piece of fruit) to up to 11 hrs (some proteins such as pork) to digest. That would mean your stomach, pancreas, liver, gall bladder, and small intestine could be working constantly. I don't our bodies were meant for that. Anyone else think about this?

Old 03-05-2009, 03:53 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,267,585 times
If you dont overeat it shouldn't be a problem. Its just a steady supply of energy and nutrients. Proper portions are about the size of your palm. Digestion can actually take up to 75 hours to complete.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:27 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoymonkey View Post
Jusst my two cents but I think eating 5-6 times a day is stressful on the body. Food can take from 20 minutes (small piece of fruit) to up to 11 hrs (some proteins such as pork) to digest. That would mean your stomach, pancreas, liver, gall bladder, and small intestine could be working constantly. I don't our bodies were meant for that. Anyone else think about this?
Nope. I eat very small amounts of food all dang day long. I don't think it makes a bit of difference. It's just whatever works best for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss