Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 02:33 PM

263 posts, read 744,962 times

Advertisements

i saw somewhere on teevee they were deep frying twinkies...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 06:12 PM

9 posts, read 26,077 times
The problem with many fried foods is the trans fats and partially hydrogenated fats from the oils used, which are not natural fats and are pretty bad for you.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebreadlady View Post
i saw somewhere on teevee they were deep frying twinkies...
I think that was in Texas, they fry everything down there.

Old 06-27-2009, 09:13 PM

15 posts, read 34,665 times
Just because you don't have any health issues right now does not mean you do not have any developing (hopefully not). There is a reason heart disease is quickly becoming the number one killer in America and it's not because people are genetically predisposed. Eating healthy does not have to mean boring or bland and beef is actually good for you if. It's what they put into the cows that's bad for us. So, if you find quality, organic, grass fed cows, with now antibiotics or hormones beef is very healthy.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:59 PM

2,742 posts, read 7,492,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrainerJ View Post
Just because you don't have any health issues right now does not mean you do not have any developing (hopefully not). There is a reason heart disease is quickly becoming the number one killer in America and it's not because people are genetically predisposed. Eating healthy does not have to mean boring or bland and beef is actually good for you if. It's what they put into the cows that's bad for us. So, if you find quality, organic, grass fed cows, with now antibiotics or hormones beef is very healthy.
Yes and no, heart disease are a bunch of different diseases and conditions. Some are sudden (but usually they aren't just people that don't go to the doctor and don't do regular checkups) and others that are chronic.
Recent research have shown that extremely high connection with high cholesterol and genetics, that is way the number one drug used for high cholesterol are statins, they work on your body production of cholesterol and not on your intake of cholesterol(80% of your cholesterol are made by the liver and only 20% comes from food).

Now a cardiac arrest can happen to anybody, healthy or not it doesn't matter. You can be as healthy as a horse and still get a cardiac arrest.
A heart attack the leading killer, is from a CAD, which is related to high cholesterol, smoking and other stuff.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:31 PM

314 posts, read 1,104,989 times
You do touch on a real issue- what's the point of living to a ripe old age if you're going to spend that time unable to do anything that makes you happy? You wouldn't even have the memories of past sins to warm your old bones. Hell with that- Im gonna be shot in the back by a jealous husband jumping out a bedroom window- or at least choke on a fried chicken leg.

Old 07-02-2009, 07:33 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldenfatt View Post
You do touch on a real issue- what's the point of living to a ripe old age if you're going to spend that time unable to do anything that makes you happy? You wouldn't even have the memories of past sins to warm your old bones. Hell with that- Im gonna be shot in the back by a jealous husband jumping out a bedroom window- or at least choke on a fried chicken leg.
Who said anything about not being able to do anything that makes you happy?

Maybe if you live to eat. But I sure don't. And I am one happy camper.

Old 08-13-2009, 09:21 PM

329 posts, read 1,276,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuwu_18 View Post
I was wondering, what actually makes fried foods bad? Is it the breading, the type of oil used, etc? I usually oven fry some of my foods, such as chicken and pork chops, but I only use a small amount of oil to do that. Is it still bad regardless of how it is fried?
You are kidding....right?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:32 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,460,994 times
I bake EVERYTHING! I really can't stand to eat anything fried or high in fat. On the rare occasion that I do eat something fried, I'd better be close to a bathroom when I'm finished eating.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:17 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,254,763 times
Shake & Bake!

Once it is almost cooked fully:
turn down temp 25-50 degrees
spritz it with a little olive oil and brown, turn over & repeat other side.

Those salad spritzer dressing bottles work great for this. I have used the salad dressing in them too for it. The ving cooks out and tenderizes the meat.

The olive oil is better for you though and the ones made for dipping have a buttery taste to them. Do not get a cheap olive oil. They just do not have the good rich flavor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss