Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 01:13 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,948,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTurboNoSpray View Post
Right now I've been doing a lot of cardio on the treadmill I have here. I heard that I shouldn't really worry about lifting weights and stuff.
Whoever told you about not lifting weights was absolutely wrong. You must have resistance training because the more you build your muscles, the more calories your body will burn even at rest, and this will help you to lose weight.

What really worked for me is doing my cardio training first thing in the morning. The only reason I mentioned anything about coffee before your morning workout is because the caffeine will give you a bit of a "boost" in your workout. Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, then later in the day or evening, thats when you do your resistance training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 01:16 PM

15 posts, read 37,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Whoever told you about not lifting weights was absolutely wrong. You must have resistance training because the more you build your muscles, the more calories your body will burn even at rest, and this will help you to lose weight.

What really worked for me is doing my cardio training first thing in the morning. The only reason I mentioned anything about coffee before your morning workout is because the caffeine will give you a bit of a "boost" in your workout. Cardio in the morning on an empty stomach, then later in the day or evening, thats when you do your resistance training.
So should I do, an hour in the morning of cardio, and then an hour at night of weights?

Or should I do 30min of each so it comes out to an hour. I've heard a lot of things start off slow and then build up, but I really don't have a problem with doing an hour of each.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Is it okay to change the chicken up with fish as well? Is pork okay too, as in a pork chop? I know red meat is bad for you, or at least you shouldn't consume a lot of it.

I saw you said coffee, I can't stand coffee, don't like the taste of it at all. Is there anything to substitute for it that would give me the same, orange juice perhaps?
You can change the chicken with the fish no problem. Me personally, I stay away from the pork/chops and prefer lean cuts of red meat which are great sources of protein.

I only mentioned coffee/caffein as an energy boost for your morning workouts.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
So should I do, an hour in the morning of cardio, and then an hour at night of weights?

Or should I do 30min of each so it comes out to an hour. I've heard a lot of things start off slow and then build up, but I really don't have a problem with doing an hour of each.
Dont worry too much about time. Concentrate more on intensity. For example, say you run about 3 miles on your treadmill in 35 minutes. What you want to do is try to increase the time on this distance like go for 30 minutes, then 28 minutes, then eventually get it to 24 minutes. When this happens, start running for 4 miles and notice your time. Then do the same as before by trying to beat your time. This is much better than just walking for one hour. Or, you can do an HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) which is GREAT. Walk on the treadmill for about 20 seconds, then run full speed for 10 seconds, then 20 seconds walk, 10 seconds run - do this for about 10 minutes. Once you can do 10 minutes, raise it to 20 minutes, then 30 minutes. Or, you an walk for 30 seconds, then run FULL SPEED for 15 seconds, etc.

Either way, the intensity levels of your training will be way up there as opposed to what a lot of people do (to very little result) which is just walk for a long time.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:29 PM

41,951 posts, read 75,160,115 times
Quote:
Is there a website that I can see how many calories have foods in them and stuff to keep track?
FitDay.com is pretty thorough. You can track your food and nutrition, log in exercise, keep a journal, etc.

You mentioned orange juice somewhere along the line ... Try not to drink your calories. Drink water and eat an orange.

Keep your food choices as simple and as unprocessed as possible. Those Lean Cuisine meals can be easily replicated on your own (if you like to cook, that is!), but with less sodium, fat, and preservatives. You'll actually taste the food, instead of the salt.

Good luck!

Old 05-07-2009, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the help so far everyone.

I know water is a big deal, but I love Ice Tea, is Ice Tea okay to drink as long as you don't put sugar in it or should I stay away from it completely?

Thank you

Old 05-07-2009, 04:04 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,060,696 times
Tea is fine, it's about all I drink as I don't really like water. I know that sounds odd, . Anyway, don't fill it with sugar ( I use 1/4-1/2 C per gallon, splenda works great in tea too!! Consider using one flavored tea bag with the plain ones or making the tea with flavored water for something different.

Don't get too hung up on what you should or shouldn't have (fish vs chicken, pork vs beef, etc), concentrate on the bigger picture, your overall calories and exercise. That's not to say that you should have 300 calories worth of ice cream instead of veggies....you know what I mean.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the help so far everyone.

I know water is a big deal, but I love Ice Tea, is Ice Tea okay to drink as long as you don't put sugar in it or should I stay away from it completely?

Thank you
Tea is fine just stay away from the sugar.

Are there any other foods that you "love" that you still want to eat? The reason I ask is because as I said before, some people "live to eat" as opposed to others (like me) who "eat to live". If you know that there are foods that are NOT healthy that you still want to eat, you'll need to figure out how to just stay away from them.

I love soda, but I havent had any for several months. Same with ice cream, its been a few months as well. The thing is, you need to ask yourself what is more important, your health/life/well being, or pleasing yourself with eating food that you know is bad just because you love it.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
Tea is fine just stay away from the sugar.

Are there any other foods that you "love" that you still want to eat? The reason I ask is because as I said before, some people "live to eat" as opposed to others (like me) who "eat to live". If you know that there are foods that are NOT healthy that you still want to eat, you'll need to figure out how to just stay away from them.

I love soda, but I havent had any for several months. Same with ice cream, its been a few months as well. The thing is, you need to ask yourself what is more important, your health/life/well being, or pleasing yourself with eating food that you know is bad just because you love it.
I love Asian food, Chinese, Thai, you name it, but those two are my favorites. I have been eating less of them, I try to eat them once a month now (usually a special occasion or something), even though I probably shouldn't even be doing that.

I don't drink soda nearly as much as I use to, but I do find myself craving it once in awhile, that's why I asked about tea because I love it and will substitute it for soda.

I admit I have been doing the live to eat thing, but I want to change it to eat to live.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:48 AM

266 posts, read 866,680 times
My favorite food is pizza. Its the one thing i could eat for the rest of my life (even though that wouldn't be for very long since id probably die from my arteries closing up lol). The way i beat the cravings on pizza is i make a pizza out of a sandwich wrap. Specifically i use a brand called flat outs. I just tried the lite italian and herb and boy was it good. I make my own sauce so im not consuming all the sodium in tomato sauce and i load it with veggies or sometimes a few pieces of turkey pepperoni. i also love love cheese but with all the veggies on it its very easy to use a tad bit of cheese. Its a good size for a pizza and to me its filling. I usually pair it up with a nice green salad. It definitely helps with my craving on pizza and i dont feel weighed down after eating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss