Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,593,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
When did you start this diet?
How many more pounds?
Will you put it back on?

It is ten times easier to lose 20 pounds in 10 weeks than it is to keep 2 pounds off for a month.

You haven't accomplished anything unless you keep it off. Most people fail. Unless you are very unusual, you will put it back on, gluten or no gluten. Most people who give up X eat more of Y.
It's not a "diet." It's a new pattern of eating behavior. I've lost the weight since early this year, and haven't put any back on.

And thank you for the words of encouragement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 02:02 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,739,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's not a "diet." It's a new pattern of eating behavior.
mixologist, bartender
sanitation engineer, garbage man

"new pattern of eating behavior", diet

Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM

7,118 posts, read 12,657,474 times
A diet is something one does for a finite period, a new way of eating is something one does infinitely...world of difference...

Old 05-24-2009, 06:39 AM

9 posts, read 16,273 times
Default weight loss

This was a long thread and I didn't read thru all of it, but I wanted to suggest a forum called www.sparkspeople.com they have everything there you can think of, it will take you days to explore. Support, sample meal plans, how to plan, exercise routines, recipes. You name it they got it in there and you can't beat the price it is FREE.

I really think that site is pretty much as active as this one.

I apolize if this has been mentioned before.

Good luck to you!

Old 05-24-2009, 12:52 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
This is probably no help, but I found a way to get my weight down. When I moved, I made it a point to find a place about 3/4 mile from a supermarket. I've committed myself to never driving to the store. Only walk. And carry home what I buy. I have to walk there every day, to keep my shopping bags down under about 5-10 pounds. I lost about 20 pounds in just a few months, and have no trouble keeping it off.

When I get the munchies and start looking for something, I think, No, because when I run out, I'll have to carry more home from the store. I make my carton of ice cream last twice as long. My meals and servings are a lot smaller. I use less milk---it's heavy. I stand and look at a can of pop for a long time before I either open it, or put it back in the fridge..

It's amazing how quickly you can become very accustomed to eating about half as much as you used to.

Old 05-24-2009, 01:56 PM

I think you did an awful lot more than walk to the store to lose 20 pounds in three months.

Twenty pounds in three months is 6.67 pounds per month, or 6.67*3500 calories = 23345 calories/month or 778 calories per day.

A person burns about 2/3 of a calorie per pound-mile of walking or running. So 2/3*weight*1.5 miles = 778.

If walking to the store once a day was the only reason you lost weight, then you weight 778 pounds.

Old 05-24-2009, 05:19 PM

306 posts, read 1,247,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
It's not a "diet." It's a new pattern of eating behavior. I've lost the weight since early this year, and haven't put any back on.

And thank you for the words of encouragement.
Charles - Is just a ball of sunshine, isn't he?

<--- oh if this only worked on ...

I say - no I SHOUT - CONGRATULATIONS, FRED !!!

Old 05-24-2009, 11:07 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I think you did an awful lot more than walk to the store to lose 20 pounds in three months.

Twenty pounds in three months is 6.67 pounds per month, or 6.67*3500 calories = 23345 calories/month or 778 calories per day.

A person burns about 2/3 of a calorie per pound-mile of walking or running. So 2/3*weight*1.5 miles = 778.

If walking to the store once a day was the only reason you lost weight, then you weight 778 pounds.
You didn't read the rest. I also seriously cut down, probably by more than half, the amount of food I ate, so I wouldn't have to carry so much home from the store. Also,, I burn calories in other ways---I even burn some sitting and watching tv, as long as Im not eating at the same time.

I was maintaining my previous weight. The changes were to cut caloric intake to about half, and add i.5 miles a day walking. The important thing was that I had an incentive do something that I enjoyed the challenge of, so I could stick with it.

Old 05-25-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I also seriously cut down, probably by more than half, the amount of food I ate,
Can you do this for the rest of your life?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:32 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,694,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTurboNoSpray View Post
I've been reading over the forums, yet I'm still confused as to what I should eat and shouldn't eat, how much and what is good and not.

I was hoping some of you could give me some advice on what to do. Currently I am 6'2 and I weigh 310, I'd like to get down to a healthy size, which according to experts is anywhere from 145 to 190.

I've read things saying you want to continue to take in the same amount of calories, which I believe is 3,100 for me (assuming multiplying your weight by 10 is correct). And continue to work out and you will lose weight. However I'm a bit confused as how that could be possible. Wouldn't it be better to cut the calories in half and continue to work out?

I've been eating those Lean Cuisine meals, but after reading some post on the forum I think I should get away from them as they seem to be not so good for you because they aren't natural.

What exactly are good things to eat and how do you know what is "natural" and what isn't? I'm sure there has to be some sort of fake ones out there or borderline ones. I've thought about just doing a salad diet or something along that line, but apparently from what I've read it might not be good.

I think what the main problem is there is so much stuff out there I'm not sure what to do and what not to do so I was hoping someone could tell me what they've done to lose weight, meal wise.

Could someone give me say a day of food they eat so perhaps it would be easier to understand what to eat?

Would it be easier to just do one of those diet things, like South Beach?

Any help and tips would be great I really need some help.

Thank you for taking the time to read and help, much appreciated.
190 is too low for your height. about 210-230 lbs would be ideal for your height. Unless you have a very very very small frame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss