Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2010, 10:17 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,716,487 times

Advertisements

Front page yahoo news today:

The Chocolate Milk Diet on Yahoo! Health

I found this fascinating because when I stopped drinking sodapop- I turned to milk. But I have been adding Nesquick (just a touch).

Before those nay-sayers post- the article states "That’s the crux of what I'm calling "The Chocolate Milk Diet," which isn’t a diet at all."

But wouldn't it be great if we didn't have to be 'satisfied' when we ate/drank? That way we could just eat healthy, and drink white milk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2010, 10:50 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Milk is not good for you really. Those studies were funded by the dairy council. In some people it actually can have a negative effect. Not to mention eating all that sugar in chocolate milk is terrible for you. There is actually more calcium in a lot of foods per calorie:

https://www.msu.edu/~mikevh/MVHHOME/MILK.HTM (broken link)

You only need about 15 minutes in the sun without chemicals on to get all the vitamin D you need. But there are other food sources for that too.

The Endurance Boost - LOL>..of course...sugar fit and coco caffine high is more like it. False energy. Plus caffeine binds ability to absorb calcium so it would affect the vitamin d.

The american diet is hardly short of protein requirements either. Its more a problem of carb excess (which that milk is loaded with) than protein shortage. Also your blood level of calcium helps the vitamin D. Calcium is not like the water soluble vitamins where you have to take it again and again. The body has a store of it. When you run low it takes it from your bones.

Fat people actually have a higher storage of vitamin D. Which is kinda cool how the body works together...So we all know being fat can put you at risk for heart disease right? Vitamin D is now showing that it helps prevent heart disease! Its one more reason to avoid genetically modified foods...who knows whats in there that could balance you out?

What do you mean "satisfied?"

Old 05-19-2010, 01:42 AM

1,719 posts, read 4,183,833 times
Chocolate milk is usually loaded with either refined sugar or high fructose corn syrup - both of which are horrible for the human body.

This diet/breaking news = fail.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:43 AM

4 posts, read 9,287 times
"The Chocolate Milk Diet"....no,this can not be true.

Old 05-19-2010, 10:17 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,558,304 times
I drink Hood Calorie Countdown chocolate milk. It's delicious.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:24 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,902,251 times
I guess you didn't read the whole article you linked too. There was a response at the bottom that pretty much invalidated "the milk is bad" for you argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Milk is not good for you really. Those studies were funded by the dairy council. In some people it actually can have a negative effect. Not to mention eating all that sugar in chocolate milk is terrible for you. There is actually more calcium in a lot of foods per calorie:

https://www.msu.edu/~mikevh/MVHHOME/MILK.HTM (https://www.msu.edu/%7Emikevh/MVHHOME/MILK.HTM - broken link)

You only need about 15 minutes in the sun without chemicals on to get all the vitamin D you need. But there are other food sources for that too.

The Endurance Boost - LOL>..of course...sugar fit and coco caffine high is more like it. False energy. Plus caffeine binds ability to absorb calcium so it would affect the vitamin d.

The american diet is hardly short of protein requirements either. Its more a problem of carb excess (which that milk is loaded with) than protein shortage. Also your blood level of calcium helps the vitamin D. Calcium is not like the water soluble vitamins where you have to take it again and again. The body has a store of it. When you run low it takes it from your bones.

Fat people actually have a higher storage of vitamin D. Which is kinda cool how the body works together...So we all know being fat can put you at risk for heart disease right? Vitamin D is now showing that it helps prevent heart disease! Its one more reason to avoid genetically modified foods...who knows whats in there that could balance you out?

What do you mean "satisfied?"

Old 05-29-2010, 10:36 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,271,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
I guess you didn't read the whole article you linked too. There was a response at the bottom that pretty much invalidated "the milk is bad" for you argument.
I linked the article for the calcium chart. I guess you did not read it either because the end was his opinion on it. And skim milk (which he mentions) is very low in vitamin D. Whole milk is a/k/a vitamin d milk.

He is also complaining he does not want to eat vegetables.

The charts are from the USDA.

With calcium, to eat in veggies actually maxes your absorption too because it is spread out through the day. You need to eat calcium like that to get the max benefits.

But the article the negative anti veggie eater was talking about had a quote from the doctor that wrote it:

"In other words, adequate amounts of vegetables are BETTER SOURCES OF CALCIUM THAN MILK AND CHEESE.. A 1990 report in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition concluded that greens such as broccoli and kale have high levels of calcium which is absorbed at least as well as that in milk."

Old 06-01-2010, 02:29 PM

11,169 posts, read 10,654,534 times
And America's waistline continues to grow and insurance companies continue to receive the perks.

Great diet. Add a couple of low-fat Oreo cookies to dip in while watching TV at night and Mmmmmmmm.

Old 06-01-2010, 07:51 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,702,451 times
I just don't understand why people actually believe things like "The chocolate milk diet". Just stop it now.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,428 times
i think i'd probably get sick from all that chocolate milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss