Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 07:57 AM

36 posts, read 65,326 times

Advertisements

"C" Vegetables

Cabbage—Member of the Brassica family. Has been shown to have anti-cancer benefits especially breast cancer. Red or purple cabbage is also a source of anthocyanins, pigment molecules that make blueberries blue and red cabbage red. These anthocyanins belong to a group called flavonoids which hold powerful antioxidants. Cabbage contains calcium, magnesium, potassium, vitamin C and K, beta-carotene, and eye-healthy carotenoids. 1 cup cooked = ~4g fiber. *Should be consumed moderately in persons with Hypothyroidism

Carrots-- Recent studies have shown as little as 1 carrot a day can possibly cut the rate of lung cancer in half! Carrots are high in carotenoids which are antioxidant compounds. Also really good for the eyes—providing lutein and zeaxanthin which help protect the eyes and prevent macular degeneration and cataracts. 3 medium carrots (uncooked) = 60mg calcium, 586mg potassium, small amounts of magnesium, phosphorus and vitamin C, and a huge 30,000 IUs of vitamin A including 15,000 units of beta-carotene and 6,000 alpha-carotene. Also have 5g of fiber!

Cauliflower—Member of the Brassica family. Has anti-cancer properties by disarming carcinogenic molecules and removing them from the cells. 1 cup = 3g fiber, 50mg vitamin C, 176mg potassium, and 55mcg of folate.

Celery—Said to be the number 1 medicinal food for treating high blood pressure! Great source of silicon, which is an important nutrient for bone health. Also contains acetylics and phenolic, which have been shown to stop the growth of cancer cells and block prostaglandins—known to encourage growth of cancerous tumors.

Collard Greens—Member of the family of cruciferous vegetables, providing cancer-fighting phytochemicals. 1 cup = same amount of calcium as 8 oz of milk, 5g fiber, magnesium, phosphorus, ~200mg potassium, vitamin C, A and K, beta-carotene, and eye healthy nutrients lutein and zeaxanthin.

I will post more vegetables starting with the letter "D" next week. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 08:07 AM

58 posts, read 92,524 times
Default Dr. Rosoff- info on spirulina and chlorella?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Adam Rosoff View Post
I will be talking about barley grass, wheatgrass, etc. later on. If you have a specific question about something though, I will do my best to answer it. Thank you
Dr. Rosoff, Thank you for your information. Would you include chlorella and spirulina in this group, or not, since they are algae and not grasses? They are alike in that they are powerful "greens." I can't live without spirulina, (or I have NO energy) but as much as I wanted to love chlorella, I got the nausea that everyone else seems to mention. How do you know that is truly a detoxification effect and not that it's just making you sick? Thank you, coffeeQ

Old 03-05-2010, 08:21 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,491 times
Thanks, Dr. Rosoff, for the information on good foods. I have been very aware of eating a healthy diet for about 12 years and I know that I have benefited from making changes. Reading your lists expands my knowledge.

Your lists of nutrient rich vegetables is so helpful. Keep up the very good work. Thanks again.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:36 AM

Yes I will include Spirulina and Chlorella (microalgae family) with Barley grass, Wheatgrass, etc. On Spirulina---it is very rich with chlorophyll, beta-carotene, protein, and GLA (a beneficial fatty acid). Also contains phycocyanin, which is a powerful antioxident. More to come....Thank you

Old 03-05-2010, 10:34 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeQ View Post
Dr. Rosoff, Thank you for your information. Would you include chlorella and spirulina in this group, or not, since they are algae and not grasses? They are alike in that they are powerful "greens." I can't live without spirulina, (or I have NO energy) but as much as I wanted to love chlorella, I got the nausea that everyone else seems to mention. How do you know that is truly a detoxification effect and not that it's just making you sick? Thank you, coffeeQ
I'm not Dr.Rosoff, but it is very possible that you experience nausea from chlorella due to detoxification. Chlorella has more chlorophyll than spirulina, it is a stronger algae than spirulina and therefore can make you feel very light-headed. Make sure it's cracked-cell.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:08 AM

This is true about Chlorella. It has more chlorophyll content than any other food so check with your health care professional if you plan on adding this to your diet. Just to add--- "cracked-cell" wall Chlorella means the wall is cracked which enables us to digest the nutrients inside more efficiently. It is still seen as one of the most potent nutritional whole foods on Earth. Thank you for your comment.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 AM

3,849 posts, read 9,423,988 times
What a great thread, and such great timing for me!!!

My question isn't so much related to what I should be eating, but where I should be getting the food from. Do you suggest all organic food? It is quite expensive! I usually shop at a local grocery chain, but the fresh food there is really bottom-of-the barrel in quality.

I know foods like boneless skinless chicken breast is heavily pushed for dieting (I love it, by the way), but when you're buying chicken breasts that are triple the size they SHOULD be and are injected with salt and chemicals for preservation, there is no way that can be healthy for you!!

I love reading lists of food that are good for you, but there is no way regular grocery store produce and non-processed food can be healthy for you...

What's the best kind of food to buy without breaking the bank? Maybe I've just watched "Food, Inc." one too many times

Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,443 times
Thanks for all the good info!

Old 03-05-2010, 11:48 AM

Yes I do suggest as much organic food as possible...And yes it is sometimes more expensive, but is worth your health. The chicken, omega-3 eggs, grass-fed beef, and wild fish will usually be more expensive, especially if bought at popular food chain stores. Organic fruits and vegetables are often available at local farmers markets which are usually reasonably priced. You can do some research on what is available in your area. If shopping in a regular supermarket, I usually stay along the outer circle of the store, and rarely make it through the isles in between. In my opinion, health should be a top priority in everyone's life, so it is worth paying a bit more for some organic foods.

Old 03-05-2010, 11:56 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
An organic farmer once told me that you should be careful when shopping for organic produce. Often times organic pesticides are used which can be just as toxic as chemical pesticides. He suggested looking for not only organic, but pesticide free as well.

Any suggestions on how to get proper doses of Vitamin D if you are unable to get the recommended 20 - 30 minutes of sun exposure on your skin? Foods, vitamins, supplements?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss