Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 11:57 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Adam Rosoff View Post
This is true about Chlorella. It has more chlorophyll content than any other food so check with your health care professional if you plan on adding this to your diet. Just to add--- "cracked-cell" wall Chlorella means the wall is cracked which enables us to digest the nutrients inside more efficiently. It is still seen as one of the most potent nutritional whole foods on Earth. Thank you for your comment.
And thank you!
The bolded statement is so true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 11:59 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,379,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
An organic farmer once told me that you should be careful when shopping for organic produce. Often times organic pesticides are used which can be just as toxic as chemical pesticides. He suggested looking for not only organic, but pesticide free as well.

Any suggestions on how to get proper doses of Vitamin D if you are unable to get the recommended 20 - 30 minutes of sun exposure on your skin? Foods, vitamins, supplements?
What is your opinion Dr.Rosoff?
I always take Cod Liver Oil in winter months for Vitamin D. Not so much since I moved to South Florida, but when I lived in New York I did.

Old 03-05-2010, 01:08 PM

36 posts, read 65,273 times
There is still debate on how much vitamin D is the "right amount," but I do know that more and more research is showing the benefits of vitamin D and what diseases can arise from deficiencies in this. Everyone's body is different and should be taken into consideration when taking a vitamin D supplement or getting vitamin D from sunlight (diet, skintone, metabolism, etc). With cold weather, lack of proper nutrition, and lack of outdoor activities in people's lives, I believe it would be beneficial for most to get tested for vitamin D levels to see if you may be deficient.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:00 AM

372 posts, read 1,116,504 times
Dr. Rosoff,

What's the truth behind green tea? I order premium loose leaf green tea from Japan for it's health benefits. Are the things we read about green tea actually true?

Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
There are no (almost) healthy foods for the proles if one counts all the poisons, fertilizers & chemicals used to grow and process laymen foods. If one to consider mineral depletion of the soils and 1000 + miles trucking of all that McBounty, the picture turns strikingly bleak. There are just foods less nasty than the rest.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:16 PM

13,134 posts, read 40,613,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Adam Rosoff View Post
There is still debate on how much vitamin D is the "right amount," but I do know that more and more research is showing the benefits of vitamin D and what diseases can arise from deficiencies in this. Everyone's body is different and should be taken into consideration when taking a vitamin D supplement or getting vitamin D from sunlight (diet, skintone, metabolism, etc). With cold weather, lack of proper nutrition, and lack of outdoor activities in people's lives, I believe it would be beneficial for most to get tested for vitamin D levels to see if you may be deficient.
Firstly welcome Dr Rosoff as i enjoyed your posting of the healthy vege's however i hope you are not pushing vegetarianism or wheat and grains only as many of us are Paleo or Hunter Gatherer's and thrive on that lifestyle of grass fed beef, coconut oits, green leafy vege's and blueberries/plums (anthocyanidins).

Well i imagine that i get somewhere around 100,000 i.u. vit D daily during the summer months as i'm an outdoors tradesman and i also play basketball for hours on the weekends as i worship the sun as it turns my white skin very brown after a few weeks in it from a long winter and i always feel better in the sun and heat and when sunlight strikes my eyes it gets my endorphins flowing and also i suffer from ''SAD'' as winter time the only time that i crave sweets and so not sure if it's the Vit D created from the sun esposure or if it's the p53 gene that the sun activates in us who can tan but the sun makes me feel great .

P53 gene may influence human fondness for sunshine - Doctors Lounge

Old 03-06-2010, 03:57 PM

Thank you for your comment. I decided to start with vegetables because many Americans are lacking essential nutrients which can be found in these vegetables...and vegetables are often the food lacking in many diets. I intent to start listing healthy fruits, grains, meats and fish as soon as I get around to it.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM

Green Tea has very powerful antioxidants. It also has anti-cancer properties. I've seen some nutritional experts rank green tea in the top 10 healthiest thing for you. I'm sure there is still debate on the exact effects...but thousands of years of traditional drinking of green tea should say enough

Old 03-07-2010, 09:22 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,698 times
What is your opinion of kefir. I personally feel much better when I drink it. [we make our own with kefir grains, not the store made kind]

Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 AM

Kefir does provide many health benefits. Some may have trouble with the taste but if you can stomach it, it is said to have antibiotic and antifungal properties. It also contains many vitamins, minerals, enzymes and amino acids. The Tryptophan in it is well known for its relaxing effect on the nervous system...which is probably why you feel much better when drinking it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss