Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 10:50 AM

415 posts, read 1,782,132 times

Advertisements

I really would not rely upon consumption of olive oil or vegetable fats. People complicate things. All you have to do is eat fruits and vegetables and exercise. Positive thinking, spiritual enlightenment and a sense of community are good for you, too.

A little bit of olive oil is fine but relying upon vegetable oils is just....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2010, 11:12 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,300,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
I really would not rely upon consumption of olive oil or vegetable fats. People complicate things. All you have to do is eat fruits and vegetables and exercise. Positive thinking, spiritual enlightenment and a sense of community are good for you, too.

A little bit of olive oil is fine but relying upon vegetable oils is just....
Unbelievably logical and natural?

Food is medicine. It can heal or harm. I don't think you can suck down cheeseburgers all the live long day and thing olive oil is going to save you...lol

But, when you know things run in your genetic line its a good idea to incorporate everything health positive against such conditions.

Since you are doing fasting research look into different types of juices used for certain health ailments. Then look up the nutrient factors in those juices. Then look up the tendency deficiency in the diseased states of those health ailments. Its amazing. Also look into what toxins can affect nutritional absorptions or how nutritional imbalances need to be corrected singularly before they can be corrected on the whole. Yes...get ready for mind blow and its going to take awhile. But I think you will like the info hunt.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,571,523 times
Well, I would still recommend

Keep the overall fats less than 30% of the diet and

Consider that omega 6 *may* wind up being worse for you than Omega 3 and monounsaturated.

Some saturated fats, such as coconut oil - who knows - may NOT be that bad.

The field of lipid research is dynamic and interesting........I still recall as an undergraduate biochemistry student in the 70s, our professor told us we were far better of eating butter than margarine due to the trans fats in the margarine at the time. Then he was considered radical and silly. Funny how things come around.....

And, yes --- I DO keep my saturated fats low but there really is a lot out there we still don't know.

Look at some of the varied diets that produce healthy long-lived folks with few health problems and you will see stuff all over the place. But you won't see the level of processing that we have in the Western diet or the level of physical inactivity that we see. Personally I would be more concerned about simple sugars [as in excessive fruits/juices of the high sugar variety] in the diet versus healthy oils.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:35 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,300,688 times
Random fruit fact: They grow them higher sugar now than they used to because the taste sells.

I always wondered why the organic apples tasted more grassy than sweet. I did the calorie burn test and the organic apple chunk burnt lower calories than the regular apple.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,668,967 times
Quote:
Oil is fat. It's not going to help you control your cholesterol or lower your risk for disease.
Sorry that's totally off base. I swallow 4 to 5 tablespoons of olive oil everyday for it's longevity properties for years and my last blood test that i had which i get every couple of years since i turned 40 was all within parameters.

I'm in my 40's and my last test was TL/CL 150, HDL 69, LDL 79, Triglycerides 80, C-Reative Protein 0.4 MG/L (Arterial inflammation) as my physician said my blood is that of an 21 year old and he is worried about me bleeding internally

Infact i'm going to swallow a tablespoon of olive oil right now with some fat solubles Vit - D3 and Vit - K2

Old 03-12-2010, 12:15 AM

415 posts, read 1,782,132 times
Olive oil is cool, I try to get the good stuff (organic) but I don't sit and think about it or measure it. It's just a part of my cooking when I need it. It's good for you and it helps me cook my food. Plus it tastes really good on bread. There's really no thought involved! I don't keep track of how much I use, or make it mandatory.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:31 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,668,967 times
Quote:
Olive oil is cool, I try to get the good stuff (organic) but I don't sit and think about it or measure it. It's just a part of my cooking when I need it. It's good for you and it helps me cook my food. Plus it tastes really good on bread. There's really no thought involved! I don't keep track of how much I use, or make it mandatory.
Sounds like you have a plan that works just fine Guy1 .

Usually i'm the one who preaches macronutrient diversification when it comes to diet as not any one diet fits all as some like myself do well on high fat while others do well on high protein or high carb or low fat or low carb etc. as our genes have modified (genetic drift) around the globe since out hunter gatherer days some 10,000 years back on average and so if i came across that everyone needs to have lots of fat to do well then i was wrong as i apologize as i didn't mean for it to come across that way .

So i say experiment and see how one feels with the different amounts of macronutrients (fats, carbs, proteins) in their diet.

Old 11-21-2010, 02:45 AM

106 posts, read 288,184 times
Default This post could improve your health forever!!

Ok look I know this thread is sort of ancient, but to me it's brand new. I found it by accident, and I had to chime in so badly that I registered to be able to comment.

Here's the deal. I read through all the comments here. Some of you have a few things right, but I am seeing a LOT of assumptions being made, and many are dead wrong, and I mean that very seriously. So I will lay this on you. Then it will be up to you as the reader(s) to find the truth and act accordingly.

* Most vegetable oils are absolutely TERRIBLE for you. How? They are almost all way too high in unstable polyunsaturated fats and omega-6. Polyunsaturated fatty acid (PUFA) has double bonds, and therefore become rancid easily and especially under high temperatures. In processing, the manufacturers subject these oils to extremely high temperatures and use hexane solvents to bleach and deodorize them. Avoid soybean oil, cottonseed oil, safflower oil, corn oil... and any other oil high in polyunsaturates. Also avoid canola oil, as it it NOT the healthy oil that many people have been into believing it is. The healthy "vegetable oils" are extra virgin olive oil and expeller pressed sesame oil.

Moderator cut: no ads
*Saturated fat is NOT bad for you. It does not, and never did cause heart disease and/or "high cholesterol". Saturated fat is excellent for your health so long it is from whole, unprocessed, nutrient dense foods. The entire world has been told a big fat LIE (get it... big fat lie. lol). Anyway, it's not really funny actually. It's quite sad. I was very tricked as well. Now I know better.

Moderator cut: no ads
*The best cooking oils are unrefined virgin coconut oil, unrefined red palm oil, and ghee. They are all very high in saturated fats and therefore stable and protected from high temperatures. This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!!!

*Cholesterol in foods is NOT bad for you. Eggs are very high in cholesterol, and are one of the most excellent foods for mankind. Eggs are like a natural multivitamin. I eat AT LEAST 2 per day, but often more than that. It's best to get organic eggs. And better yet, eggs from chickens raised on pasture. It's more expensive for sure, but it nutritious food. It's worth it.

Moderator cut: not allowed
*The 'total cholesterol' lipid theory is a hypothesis. It's not fact! The total cholesterol of 200 or below being healthy is bogus! In fact, many extremely intelligent and highly knowledgeable health gurus are still trying to truly figure out what correlation cholesterol measuring has on cardiovascular health at all. At this point, a high HDL and low triglyceride level is widely believed to be very good. High trigs and low HDL is not good. Also, LDL is a bit tricky. Oxidized LDL and small dense type B particles are bad, whereas large buoyant type A particles are healthy. Just because your LDL number is high, DOES NOT mean you are necessarily at risk for heart disease.

Please please research this stuff for yourself. I could go on and on for 27 pages. I will spare you. The work has already been done. FIND THE REAL TRUTH!

Moderator cut: not allowed

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 12-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: html links not clickable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss