Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 01:08 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,420,988 times

Advertisements

I eat a lot of vegetable oils, mainly because I'm afraid that with my family's history, I will one day end up with a heart/cholesterol/blood pressure problem, and I'd like to control my LDL cholesterol as much as possible. I love oils on salads, as bread dip, in soup, and in various other recipes. I know the great benefits of mono and polyunsaturated fats with respect to reducing LDL and increasing HDL cholesterol...but how much is too much before it becomes bad? What exactly happens if you eat too much?

I'm certainly not obese by any means...I have a healthy weight, and I'm young (23). Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
All vegetable oils are NOT created equal.

Most are inflammatory and may be worse than saturated fats.
Olive and Canola oils are fine.

I would still not be getting more than 30% of my calories from all fats though.

Here is a good reference
Avoid too much omega 6 - shoot for mono or omega 3
Fats, Oils, Fatty Acids, Triglycerides - Chemical Structure (Page 2 of 3)

Current typical dietary ratios are 1:20 omega 3 to omega 6
Intake is proposed should be 1:4 omega 3 to omega 6

Old 03-08-2010, 01:34 PM

I know they aren't worse than saturated fats. That's a fact. I also know that vegetable oils usually come in one of two forms: mono or polyunsaturated. 99% of my vegetable oil intake is either olive, canola, soybean, or sunflower...in that order...except recently, when I accidentally picked up corn oil instead of soybean oil at the grocery store (oops).

Between the oils that I eat, and the fish that contain omega 3s, I would think that would be good?

(PS, the site you provided does not look trustworthy.)

Old 03-08-2010, 01:44 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
It really depends on the person because of:

- total daily intake needs based on personal stats (ratios)
- health issues that may be affected by higher fat

But generally:
NutritionData BMI & Calories Burned Calculator

that will give you a breakdown of everything you need. Nutrition is about be well rounded. Its not just the fat that may of triggered your family tree health issue.

Carb, Protein, Fat Calorie Calculator

This calculator shows the different grams per calorie intake on various nutritional guidelines. The "moderate" are just your basic pyramid type eating. The others are modified a bit.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:29 PM

Interesting site. I know fat is a huge part of what happened in my family tree...up until my generation, such things as bacon grease were common every day, among other unhealthies.

Old 03-08-2010, 02:42 PM

3,631 posts, read 14,550,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I know they aren't worse than saturated fats. That's a fact.......

I gave you the link because I liked how the table organized the different fatty acids. The omega 6, omega 3 ratio thing has players on both sides. Surely this one is ok?

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/index.html

Be careful with "that's a fact" - I think it is a bit more complex that that......

Old 03-09-2010, 02:15 PM

415 posts, read 1,778,814 times
Oil is fat. It's not going to help you control your cholesterol or lower your risk for disease.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
I know they aren't worse than saturated fats. That's a fact. I also know that vegetable oils usually come in one of two forms: mono or polyunsaturated. 99% of my vegetable oil intake is either olive, canola, soybean, or sunflower...in that order...except recently, when I accidentally picked up corn oil instead of soybean oil at the grocery store (oops).

Between the oils that I eat, and the fish that contain omega 3s, I would think that would be good?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:15 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,057,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Oil is fat. It's not going to help you control your cholesterol or lower your risk for disease.
Mod cut.

Last edited by tao; 03-10-2010 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: A one word profanity is hardly a constructive way to make your case.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:14 AM

415 posts, read 1,778,814 times
Deleted

Last edited by tao; 03-10-2010 at 09:42 AM.. Reason: Orphaned post.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:15 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,253,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1 View Post
Actually olive oil will. Not all oils are created equal.

HowStuffWorks "How Olive Oil Lowers Cholesterol"

"Numerous studies indicate that monounsaturated fat is about as effective as polyunsaturated fat in lowering total blood cholesterol and LDL cholesterol, when substituted for saturated fat in the diet. Plus, monounsaturated fat does not lower beneficial HDL cholesterol or raise triglycerides, unlike polyunsaturated fat, which, at high intakes, may lower HDL cholesterol. "

psulions2007:

Bacon grease has sugar,nitrates and salt in it too. And who knows what chemicals they were eating in the treatment of that meat. Just look at that stuff and other unhealthy things your fam did too. Just skip those. Were they more a breads and meat fam than a meat and veg fam too? Thats also something that you should try to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss