Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 04:57 PM

306 posts, read 437,783 times

Advertisements

Most linebackers, running backs, defensive backs in the NFL as well as many professional boxers are considered to be obese by BMI standards.

Very simply, BMI does not take muscle mass into the equation at all.

The BMI index was designed in the mid 1800's long before weight training for recreation and the importance of building muscle mass was recognized.

Although it is often true that people have a higher risk for a variety of health issues if they have a high BMI, it should not been as broadly applied as it is. It is an old, antiquated and lazy way for organizations to define health.

Lots of chain smokers who can't walk up a flight of stairs have great BMI numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 05:00 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,204,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
How do we know the OP isn't fat? He gave us his weight (200 pounds), but not his height. I'd call anyone who is under 6 feet tall and who is 200 pounds fat (unless they're a gym rat with a large percentage of muscle mass).
We don't, but he lost 450 lbs. so I gave him the benefit of the doubt. Fat is a subjective term. If you want to tell him he's still fat go ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
BMI does not take muscle mass into the equation at all. The BMI index was designed in the mid 1800's long before weight training for recreation and the importance of building muscle mass was recognized. Although it is often true that people have a higher risk for a variety of health issues if they have a high BMI, it should not been as broadly applied as it is. It is an old, antiquated and lazy way for organizations to define health.
Yes, that point has already been made by several others on this thread. No one is saying that BMI is a great way to determine fitness levels. It's just a simple and quick way to get a very basic idea of where you're at in case you don't have a dunk tank or an ergometer handy to measure body composition your V02 max. Another relatively simple (but much more accurate than BMI) gauge for overall fitness level would be a heart rate monitor.

Last edited by treedonkey; 03-09-2010 at 06:03 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 05:27 PM

14 posts, read 58,677 times
Thats what im talking about unless you know that person how can you just assume that they are lazy just dont care. People have no idea what goes on inside that person or what that person went through. If people didn't know i already lost 450 they would just look at me and assume im lazy and dont care because of the amount of loose skin. I have a Master in Political Science and History and Minor in French, i also have a BA from Johnson and Wales in Baking and Pastry. So just being plain lazy or uncaring doesnt automatically fit for every single person.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM

My height is 5'11" and even though im still considered obese by BMI i can leg prerss 2000 and squat 800 pound im a strong and active guy, most people in the healthy bmi spot cant do that!

Old 03-09-2010, 05:36 PM

971 posts, read 1,298,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
Yes, that point has already been made by several others on this thread. No one is saying that BMI is a great way to determine fitness levels. It's just a simple and quick way to get a very basic idea of where you're at in case you don't have a dunk tank or an ergometer handy to measure body composition your V02 max. Another relatively simple (but much more accurate than BMI) gauge for overall fitness level would be a heart rate monitor.Lots of chain smokers who can't walk up a flight of stairs have great BMI numbers.
One of the most common excess-weight related diseases is type-2 diabetes - and excess belly fat is one of its leading causes. One of the best indicators of high risk for type-2 diabetes is abdominal-circumference to height ratio (much better indicator than BMI).

Flex your abs just slightly (so that you're neither sucking in your belly or letting it hang out), and measure around at the largest point. If the measurement is more than half your height, you're at greatly increased risk for type-2 diabetes (and most certainly you're fat). So, a 6 foot tall man would want to keep his belly circumference under 36 inches.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:48 PM

As far as type 2 diabetes, my dad was 6' and 165 pounds and bmi of 22.4 and always worked out and ate healthy he had type 2 diabetes and recently died of Cancer November 29, 2009.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,549,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treedonkey View Post
It's also easier (lazier) to read a few lines of one post and then respond with a rant instead of really thinking about what is being said.
Not a rant at all...simply an observation. The OP said he was being judged as a fat person by some people. Some people on here have outright said they are prejudiced against fat people. I just drew the connection. All people you see on the street whom you consider to be fat are not lazy. Some are some aren't. My great aunt and uncle were obese. They were also very hard working and industrious farmers. They probably actually WORKED harder than most people I know today. I was making the point that laziness is not only a physical attribute. I see people all the time who are fit but not very hard workers....doesn't make them any better of a person just because they are lazy in a different way.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,204,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slysly4 View Post
Thats what im talking about unless you know that person how can you just assume that they are lazy just dont care. People have no idea what goes on inside that person or what that person went through. If people didn't know i already lost 450 they would just look at me and assume im lazy and dont care because of the amount of loose skin.
Understood, but we live in a world where people still use the n-word to refer to african americans. What can you do?

For the record, if I had seen you when you were 650 lbs I would have thought you had some pretty serious problems, lazy or not. If I saw you now I'd probably just think you were a big dude and maybe wonder why your skin was layered in such an interesting way and then I'd probably want to draw it (being an artist). So if you ever see a guy staring you out of the corner of his eye with sunglasses on and scribbling rapidly into a sketchbook, that's likely me. No offense intended.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:38 PM

971 posts, read 1,298,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slysly4 View Post
As far as type 2 diabetes, my dad was 6' and 165 pounds and bmi of 22.4 and always worked out and ate healthy he had type 2 diabetes and recently died of Cancer November 29, 2009.
Sorry for your loss.

It's extremely rare that someone his size would develop type-2 diabetes. Type 1 - sure - it's not primarily lifestyle based, but type-2 wow. The effects of type-2 diabetes can often by completely eliminated by permanent weight loss. That's truly unlucky.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:59 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,815,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outside1 View Post

For the guy above, 6'4" 250, I mean this in no way as a negative comment, but you are overweight. Not by any means grossly overweight. You have an inch and 35-40 pounds on me at my heaviest during a bulk cycle and 60 pounds on me during tri season and even then I am a solid 10 pounds more than I *should* be to be competitive. Being fit does not mean holding a 3 pound weight, however hard it is, and I do not doubt that it is. There is zero cardiovascular or very little anyway measure in that task. Simply put, 99 times out of a hundred if you have a pot belly? You are overweight and not healthy, , err or perhaps as healthy as you could be, but then there is room for improvement just about everywhere for everyone so what the heck.
Except that people are different. He mentioned his body fat % is 17, which is the NORMAL body fat percentage for a white male. That would mean he is not overweight. At all. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss