Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 08:03 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,007,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverkid View Post
Sorry for your loss.

It's extremely rare that someone his size would develop type-2 diabetes. Type 1 - sure - it's not primarily lifestyle based, but type-2 wow. The effects of type-2 diabetes can often by completely eliminated by permanent weight loss. That's truly unlucky.
I'm not trying to be argumentative here, or snide, just asking a simple question. What credentials do you have for making the above statement? Are you a health care provider? If so, what kind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2010, 08:52 PM

306 posts, read 437,292 times
Default Bmi

Thomas Jones, NFL running Back, is a physical specimen. He is 5'10, 220 lbs. He is considered obese by BMI stadards. He would have to lose 12 lbs to just be at the top end of overweight according to BMI.

Old 03-10-2010, 09:53 AM

2,437 posts, read 8,196,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
Thomas Jones, NFL running Back, is a physical specimen. He is 5'10, 220 lbs. He is considered obese by BMI stadards. He would have to lose 12 lbs to just be at the top end of overweight according to BMI.
Okay, WE GET IT, BMI is not always an accurate gauge for fitness, did you ever hear the saying about beating a dead horse?

Incidentally, all that muscle mass is not exactly my idea of ideal fitness, but of course if I had the ability to bulk up like that and then make millions of year off it I might consider it.

Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,028,257 times
treedonkey wrote:
Your doctor or any nutritionist or physical trainer can help you calculate your ideal weight for your age and height (or you could just look it up online) and you should try to stay within that range if possible for maximum health benefits.
Basically good advie, but I'd take it one step further and go beyond the opinions of doctors, nutritionists, or physical trainers and make your own choice about YOUR ideal weight. It's YOUR body. That's where you live, and you know more about it than anyone else. YOUR ideal bodyweight is the weight that YOU are comfortable with.

Now to contradict myself!

movedoften wrote:
IMO, this guy is overweight. Unles he loses some weight he will probably be dead or crippled by the time he's 60 years old. But then again...it's his body and his choice.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:09 PM

971 posts, read 1,296,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicWizard View Post
IMO, this guy is overweight. Unles he loses some weight he will probably be dead or crippled by the time he's 60 years old. But then again...it's his body and his choice.
Odds are Thomas Jones won't live to be 60. Being an NFL player is horribly unhealthy: the contact just destroys your body - joins, brain, etc; and the overweight issues (especially for the linemen) lead to a multitude of diseases later in life. The average lifespan of an NFL player is 56 years - much less than the 75 for an average male in the US.

Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM

7,841 posts, read 19,028,257 times
denverkid wrote:
The average lifespan of an NFL player is 56 years
I didn't realize NFL players lived that long. When I stated Unles he loses some weight he will probably be dead or crippled by the time he's 60 years old, I was thinking in terms of the abuse to the organs of his body from having to deal with all that extra bodyweight, especially the abuse to his digestive system from the massive overeating that it requires to maintain all of that muscular bulk. The self chosen abuse to his own organs is in addition to the self chosen abuse of the repeated violent contact with other athletes of similar size.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 03-10-2010 at 03:47 PM..

Old 03-10-2010, 03:39 PM

804 posts, read 1,967,601 times
Those whose eyes are truly open know there is more going on...

MSG, high fructose corn syrup, additives and preservatives are hidden in more foods than you would believe. Heavy metals, pesticides, halides, and prescription drugs end up in our food and water. Many crops are now gene-spliced Frankenfoods. Current medical programs teach doctors nothing about nutritional or metabolic toxicology. Secondary hypothyroidism and celiac disease are underdiagnosed. Prescription drug and antibiotic use is widespread, these interfere with digestive bacteria.

I've seen a 5" petite woman eat entire pizzas in one sitting, junk food at almost every meal, never exercises, yet never gains weight. Explain that one.

I'm not defending anyone's dietary or lifestyle choices... just saying there is more to it than snappy little assumptions. For the record, no I'm not overweight.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:09 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,282,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slysly4 View Post
Im a 30yo male living in Denver but im originally from New Orleans, when i was 24 i weighed 650 pounds i lost 450 pounds the old fashioned way and i feel good about myself and im happy. But it really bothers me that here in Denver if you are not 100 pounds then you are automatically considered unhealthy. My blood pressure, blood sugar, and cholesterol levels are all perfect and even better than some of the thin vegans i work with at Whole Foods. But it makes me feel bad when people here just assume your unhealthy if your not 100 lbs. Back in New Orleans and where i went to college i was considered healthy and a nice built football build. I want to know whats the difference? It seems West Coast and Mountain states considers healthy to equal thin atomatically and Southern and East Coast States considers the whole person when using the word healthy. Im not saying everyone is this way it just seems like the majority is.
First of all, good for you for losing all that weight! You should be proud of yourself. Second, maybe you're getting less than average opinions if you work at Whole Foods. I shop at the one in Cherry Creek every now and then, but at risk of stereotyping, people who work/shop there seem a little obsessive in their pursuit of health and a lean body. If you went to a suburban mall and asked 100 people if you looked healthy, they'd probably overwhelmingly think you were fine. And then again, being overweight in N.O. is probably much more common than in Denver, so maybe people here tend to view anything over your ideal weight as unhealthy? I don't know. I'm 5'9" and weigh 155, so I probably look like one of those skinny people!

Old 03-10-2010, 04:42 PM

2,437 posts, read 8,196,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore07 View Post
Those whose eyes are truly open know there is more going on...

MSG, high fructose corn syrup, additives and preservatives are hidden in more foods than you would believe. Heavy metals, pesticides, halides, and prescription drugs end up in our food and water. Many crops are now gene-spliced Frankenfoods. Current medical programs teach doctors nothing about nutritional or metabolic toxicology. Secondary hypothyroidism and celiac disease are underdiagnosed. Prescription drug and antibiotic use is widespread, these interfere with digestive bacteria.
You just finished watching Food, Inc. didn't you?
Speaking of knowing what's really going on, don't believe everything you see on TV or read in a sensationalized book.

Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,194,449 times
To the OP, Is this in anyway related to the new "Team Member Healthy Discount" program that Whole Foods is doing?

Weigh Less, Pay Less: Whole Foods Offers Discount Based On BMI - Whole Foods - Jezebel

I don't think that BMI is an accurate indicator of health and I find the program to be discriminatory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss