Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 01:09 PM

784 posts, read 3,120,331 times

Advertisements

Lot's of good suggestions. I know that some of them won't work--like keeping a few treats in the house and eating them occasionally. I need to have none in the house. I have never been able to eat only a few of anything or drink only one of anything come to think of it

OA is a possibility, and I will seriously consider it. A hobby is a good idea as is exercise. I am working with a personal trainer, gradually recovering from adrenal fatigue--going slow to avoid setbacks. I am also learning to drink more water. My dad used to tell me when I was young that I didn't drink enough water, so this is a big behavior adjustment for me.

Who was it that asked why I need comfort food? Obviously someone who eats food because they are hungry I eat food for lots of reasons, and comfort is one of them. Peanut butter and something sweet could do the trick--maybe on apple slices. Also smoothies. I have a Vitamix.

Thanks for all your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 01:19 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleF View Post
Today I ate a big bar of Cadbury's chocolate, two yogurts loaded with sugar and finished the ice cream. I do the kind of thing because I am bored, but also because of the cravings. Any suggestions of what I can eat that will deflect the cravings. I am a vegetarian, so no meat products or eggs. I am betting one of you has a good answer for me. I am at the end of my rope.
I would say the secret is to get off your butt an do something so you aren't bored. How does anyone find the time to be bored anyway? Sounds like you're wasting your life away to me.

Get a job, get a second job, volunteer, teach, tutor, take up a hobby, exercise, learn something new, DO SOMETHING and you won't be bored and you won't eat. Good idea yes?

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-16-2010, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I would say the secret is to get off your butt an do something so you aren't bored.
Now that's a KICK-ASS suggestion

Old 03-21-2010, 02:26 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Jelly has high fructose corn syrup in it. Its just as bad (if not worse) than sugar.
Another option to a peanutbutter sandwich is adding fresh fruit if you want a fruity taste with it.
No no no... not all jelly.

St. Dalfour is the brand I buy and it's WONDERFUL. Corn syrup AND cane sugar free! Tastes about 1,000x better than the Smuckers crap.

Old 03-21-2010, 07:20 PM

I've just been rereading Adrenal Fatigue by James L. Wilson and am reminded that I have had candida problems in the past. Combine candida overgrowth with hypoglycemia and adrenal fatigue and you get sugar cravings. I am a dolt to have forgotten all of this. If I get back on my healing diet, I will get off the sugar. Simple.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:14 AM

7,118 posts, read 12,659,449 times
Just wondering if your sugar urges are connected to any specific emotional challenges--such as stress?

I've found I cannot make a major change in my habits until I understand the underlying cause...but then, I tend to over-intellectualize everything...

Sometimes urges to eat something I shouldn't can be controlled by deep-breathing and some gentle yoga posturss..to calm myself...after the deep breathing, I often find the sugary or creamy treat desire has departed....and a glass of water with a few raisins is fine.

Just wanted to bring this up in case it helps...seems our comfort food urges are so often related to our emotions...

Old 03-22-2010, 12:09 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Vegans... always trying to promote their ridiculous diet.

Cold turkey, that's it. Give yourself a little time and you won't even like the taste of sweet anymore.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:39 PM

260 posts, read 548,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Vegans... always trying to promote their ridiculous diet.

Cold turkey, that's it. Give yourself a little time and you won't even like the taste of sweet anymore.
how is being compassionate to the suffering of other sentient beings ridiculous? diet is only one aspect of being vegan and the health benefits are secondary to the idea that other beings do not have to needlessly suffer because of human beings selfish appetites. perhaps this excellent article might help to enlighten you on the true nature of veganism:

Ari Solomon: Who You Callin' Vegangelical?

Old 03-22-2010, 12:44 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mg420 View Post
how is being compassionate to the suffering of other sentient beings ridiculous? diet is only one aspect of being vegan and the health benefits are secondary to the idea that other beings do not have to needlessly suffer because of human beings selfish appetites. perhaps this excellent article might help to enlighten you on the true nature of veganism:

Ari Solomon: Who You Callin' Vegangelical?
Nothing in this post of yours addresses the subject matter at hand. The OP clearly is asking about ending a sugar addiction. If your link discusses sugar addiction I will publicly apologize. Does it? Because I sure don't see it addressed.

Why can't you promote your agenda on your OWN thread rather hijacking this one? You even have your own sub-forum here. Why must you still insist on furthering your agenda by stepping on someone else's thread?

PS - thank you for proving my point.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:51 PM

260 posts, read 548,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Nothing in this post of yours addresses the subject matter at hand. The OP clearly is asking about ending a sugar addiction. If your link discusses sugar addiction I will publicly apologize. Does it? Because I sure don't see it addressed.

Why can't you promote your agenda on your OWN thread rather hijacking this one? You even have your own sub-forum here. Why must you still insist on furthering your agenda by stepping on someone else's thread?
i was responding to your comment that was also not on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss