Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 03:47 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,682,655 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Your first hurdle is to learn to cook!

Start out at allrecipes.com

Find some stuff you like, and go from there! Check out the healthy section
Amen to that!

I quit a 2 pack a day habit but only gained 5 pounds. Why? I was only eating what I was cooking.

My typical dinner takes 20 minutes to prepare from start to finish; it isn't hard if you learn a few basic ingredients and spices you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 06:24 PM

304 posts, read 745,637 times
runningcircles1 and others: excellent and useful advice. I do need to make a menu plan. I do need to find some simple recipes that fit the nutritional criteria I am leaning toward. Its nice to see your supportive replies and I really do appreciate it!

Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 PM

61 posts, read 155,644 times
I had a friend that bought an air popcorn popper and ate lots of popcorn for snacks. She lost about 30 pounds. She also learned to eat simple basic foods---fruit, cottage cheese, yogurt, salad in a bag, bean salad, bought a rice cooker, etc....

Old 05-25-2010, 09:38 AM

3 posts, read 5,007 times
You should expend some effort in learning at least how to make yourself a healthy salad, and to steam some veggies. Also, most experts recommend a minimum of 5 fruits/veggies a day. It has been my experience that the more fruit and veggies I eat, the more weight I lose. Plus, you don't have to cook an apple!

Old 06-06-2010, 02:34 PM

483 posts, read 556,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by changeyourthoughts View Post
I have gained approx. 30 lbs. since I quit smoking one year and 4 months ago. I am an emotional eater, but the cigarettes must have be filling a part of that need because I have gained so much weight. I am 36 and female, and I was never overweight, except there were 2 incidents over the last 10 years when I did find myself eating even more than usual and gaining, but I lost it each time just cutting back a bit, but I did have cigarettes to smoke every time I felt like eating.

I knwo I emotionally eat because I do it when Im not hungry and I get a satisfaction from it like I just did drugs. I am very sad to see my size and feel out of control. I am surprisingly health conscious, am going to be entering a masters in nutrition program, and I have read every book and on diet and health in the bookstore, but I cant seem to get under some control. The longest I went was 2 weeks of "dieting" (eating sensibly) and lost 6 pounds, and then I blew it.

One of the most challening things is that I hate cooking, I can hardly cook, and I am not one of those people that can just buy a bunch of fresh foods and know what to do with them - they all end up rotting in the fridge while Im in line at Wendys even though that food really does gross me out. There are a few things I know how to cook but that comes to about 3 dinners a week. Ugh, between not having the cooking gene and this urge to eat, I see no end in sight for me.

Has anyone gone through this? Ive thought about joining weight watchers just for the accountability??
Google 'Live right 4 your type'... By Peter D'Adamo.. Problem solved..

Old 06-07-2010, 10:23 AM

304 posts, read 745,637 times
thanks for your replies. I will check it out now Galagaone, thank you!

Old 07-20-2010, 08:32 AM

4 posts, read 4,035 times
Congratulations on that one! It's really hard to quit smoking. Sometimes my body just seems to crave for it. When I quit smoking, I gained weight because I got into eating as a substitute. now, im just fat and the ugly buldges are everywhere. especially my tummy. i don't have time to excercise and i can't really keep any diet regimens. what weight loss technique do you think can suit my lifestyle?

Old 07-21-2010, 02:49 PM

196 posts, read 564,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allison245 View Post
Congratulations on that one! It's really hard to quit smoking. Sometimes my body just seems to crave for it. When I quit smoking, I gained weight because I got into eating as a substitute. now, im just fat and the ugly buldges are everywhere. especially my tummy. i don't have time to excercise and i can't really keep any diet regimens. what weight loss technique do you think can suit my lifestyle?
It amazes me that smokers will no matter what find 10 mins every couple of hours to have a sig, but they are too busy to exercise or "keep any diet regiments". Healthy body is a hard work. You either do it all or you don't. There is no easy way.

Old 07-22-2010, 07:08 AM

4 posts, read 4,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug24 View Post
It amazes me that smokers will no matter what find 10 mins every couple of hours to have a sig, but they are too busy to exercise or "keep any diet regiments". Healthy body is a hard work. You either do it all or you don't. There is no easy way.

yeah, its hard to let the habit go. but yeah, i agree with you. no pain no gain. its difficult when i know i should be doing the 'right' thing but get tempted to the same habit again.

Old 07-22-2010, 01:21 PM

196 posts, read 564,427 times
Just keep in mind you can do anything if you set your mind right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss