Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 07:09 AM

564 posts, read 1,040,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yippeekayay View Post
I just got terrible news on my LDL result -- 140.

I need to do diet and exercise. I was advised by PCP to eat less bacon, cheese and eggs but I failed to ask what should I be eating more of instead.

So far based on research, here's what I should be eating. Stuff I can buy (since I don't cook) :

-- oat meal
-- oat bran
-- berries
-- soy milk
-- nuts
-- vegetable juice
-- canned tuna
-- grilled chicken (from KFC, I can buy bucket to last me longer)

Will also avoid softdrinks because I drink them cold after during/after eating. Instead will drink warm water or tea.
That looks horrible. I'd rather have high LDL than follow that regimen.

Oat meal and bran. If you like it, fine, but eat it plain or topped with blueberries. Avoid the sugary "instant" varieties. Personally, I'd rather eat cardboard.

There is no justification to recommend less cheese and eggs (bacon is debatable, as it is a cured meat and nothing beats fresh and pastured meats; personally, I eat it almost everyday, but to each his own).

Soy milk. Why bother? Get calcium and protein from leafy greens and pastured meats. Soy milk is a crap "food", high in estrogens, phytic acids, and all sorts of other garbage. Besides, no adult needs any milk at all.

Vegetable juice. Eat your vegetables. Juices tend to skew higher in sugars and often strip away most of the nutritional benefits.

Canned tuna. Once a week is probably best, as tuna is higher in mercury than other fish. Try sardines or wild salmon. I'd stick to skin-on, wild salmon fillets for dinners, and snack on sardines to your heart's content.

KFC grilled chicken? Again, most fast food is filled with stuff you probably don't want to eat. Even the so-called "healthy" options.

If you don't cook, your goals will be more difficult. I'd recommend learning how to at least pan fry some meats and steam veggies.

I'd recommend the following:

PROTEIN
Eggs, probably nature's most perfect food
Cheese (real cheese, not cheese-whiz or processed slices)
Pastured meats of all varieties, including livers, hearts, and other organs

FATS
Coconut oil for cooking and mixing with tea/coffee (to replace milk and sugar)
Olive oil for salads and light sauteing
Almonds, walnuts, macadamia nuts
Flax seeds
Salmon, sardines, anchovies (smaller, fatty fish)
Butter
Real cream

VEGETABLES (primary source of CARBS)
Leafy greens of all stripes - baby spinach, kale, collard greens, chard, bok choy
Asparagus, broccoli, mushrooms

SPICES
Black pepper, sea salt, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon, others made without artificial flavors or added soy, etc.

FRUITS & BERRIES (secondary source of CARBS)
Blueberries
Avocado
Apple

GOOD FOR GUT FLORA (PRE/PRO-BIOTICS)
Greek yogurt (with FAT, at least 2%), plain only
Raw, unpasteurized sauerkraut
Kimchi

This list is just a start. The most important part is to avoid or seriously reduce your intake of the following:

Refined and processed foods. This includes almost everything that comes in a box, or has loads of ingredients designed to make it look, smell, and taste like "food".

It's easy if you just ask yourself one question when deciding what to buy: could I hunt, pick, grow, or find this in the wild? Stick to real food and everything else will take care of itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2015, 07:24 AM

7,458 posts, read 4,695,683 times
^ Appreciate the post and the tips so much. Thanks. I will also be buying a gas grill (or electric grill) this weekend and would be grilling instead of frying, mostly chicken breast cuts.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:05 PM

2,512 posts, read 3,061,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
I think the assumption would be "healthy" fats like Fish/Salmon, Avocado, Nuts, Cheese, Eggs and yes some meat.

Yes, long with walnuts (just a handful a day as they are fattening) garlic, olive oil, an apple a day, preferably organic (yes the old adage is true). And...brace yourself...SARDINES

I personally love them but most people not so much. Get good quality, no smoked or flavored ones, I personally remove the spine bone. Not necessary nor would you eat them every day, but one of the best Omega 3 "bang for your buck" moves as they are inexpensive and loaded with the O-3.

Old 06-13-2023, 06:31 AM

1 posts, read 392 times
If your doctor has advised you to follow a low cholesterol diet to help lower your cholesterol levels, here are some specific foods you can include in your grocery list and incorporate into your meals:

Fruits and Vegetables: Opt for a variety of fresh fruits and vegetables, as they are rich in fiber, antioxidants, and nutrients. Include options like berries, citrus fruits, leafy greens, broccoli, and bell peppers.

Whole Grains: Choose whole grains such as oats, quinoa, brown rice, whole wheat bread, and whole grain pasta. These provide fiber and nutrients compared to refined grains.

Lean Protein Sources: Include lean sources of protein in your meals, such as skinless poultry, fish (especially fatty fish like salmon), legumes (beans, lentils), and tofu.

Low-Fat Dairy or Dairy Alternatives: If you consume dairy, opt for low-fat or fat-free milk, yogurt, and cheese. If you prefer non-dairy options, choose fortified plant-based milk alternatives like almond or soy milk.

Healthy Fats: Incorporate foods rich in healthy fats, such as avocados, nuts (almonds, walnuts), seeds (chia seeds, flaxseeds), and olive oil. However, moderate your portion sizes as these foods are high in calories.

Fiber-Rich Foods: Increase your intake of fiber-rich foods like legumes, whole grains, fruits, and vegetables. Fiber can help reduce cholesterol absorption in the body.

Limit Saturated and Trans Fats: Minimize or avoid foods high in saturated fats and trans fats. These include fatty meats, full-fat dairy products, fried foods, baked goods, and processed snacks.

For breakfast, you could have oatmeal topped with fresh fruits and a sprinkle of nuts or seeds. Lunch options could include a grilled chicken salad with plenty of vegetables and a light dressing. For dinner, consider grilled fish or baked tofu with steamed vegetables and a side of quinoa or brown rice.

Regarding exercise, aiming for at least three times a week is a good start. I Read this article [url]https://goodhealthbyyourself.megawecare.com/7-fun-party-activities-that-are-great-exercises-too/[/url] long back ago Which helped me in improving my health. Engage in activities that elevate your heart rate, such as brisk walking, jogging, cycling, or swimming. You can also consider incorporating strength training exercises to build muscle and improve overall fitness. It's essential to consult with your doctor or a qualified fitness professional to determine the exercise intensity and duration suitable for you.

Remember, everyone's dietary needs and cholesterol management may vary, so it's crucial to follow the guidance provided by your doctor and schedule any recommended follow-up tests. Additionally, working with a registered dietitian or nutritionist can provide personalized advice and help you create a well-rounded diet plan tailored to your specific needs.

Old 06-14-2023, 08:19 AM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
My cholesterol levels were always low, until 1997 when I lived in Italy and shifted to a Mediterranean diet, which seems to have caused my cholesterol levels to spike.

I was referred to a nutritionist that was hosting a monthly workshop on managing cholesterol, so I attended her workshops for a year, and my doctor put me on statins.

The nutritionist insisted that my family shift to only using grapeseed oil, which we did.

In 2010, I began to have a reaction to the statin, like stabbing pains in my thighs and should muscles. I stopped taking statins and the pain went away.

Every year my doctors complain about my cholesterol levels, in 2020 I let a doctor prescribe a different statin. Now that seems to have helped my cholesterol numbers and so far my muscles are not in pain, yet.

Old 06-14-2023, 09:39 AM

3,089 posts, read 1,550,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My cholesterol levels were always low, until 1997 when I lived in Italy and shifted to a Mediterranean diet, which seems to have caused my cholesterol levels to spike.

I was referred to a nutritionist that was hosting a monthly workshop on managing cholesterol, so I attended her workshops for a year, and my doctor put me on statins.

The nutritionist insisted that my family shift to only using grapeseed oil, which we did.

In 2010, I began to have a reaction to the statin, like stabbing pains in my thighsat milk instead of no fat and should muscles. I stopped taking statins and the pain went away.

Every year my doctors complain about my cholesterol levels, in 2020 I let a doctor prescribe a different statin. Now that seems to have helped my cholesterol numbers and so far my muscles are not in pain, yet.
interesting. my cholestrol levels have always been high, all my life, didnt matter how much exercise or what foods etc. They always wanted me on statins, I refuse cause of the danger to muscles etc. Im almost 80 now and not concerned about chokestrol levels. But what really spiked was tricyerides after I gave up all red meat due to a red meat allergy. Only ate chicken/ turkey and only wild caught fish. Those tricyerides really sent the drs over the edge. i still said no i dont want any drugs. I switched to low fat milk instead of no fat, added a little butter back to my diet, still lots of veggies and fruit. very little bread. and B vits. feel better. Everyone is different. and some of this is pure genetics. My mother and her mother lived to mid 90s, in good health, grandfather lived to 90. etc. no one took statins.

Old 06-14-2023, 01:58 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Long story short.

Cholesterol is one the biggest medical scams/myths ever presented to the public.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XfJNUbJE_V0

Old 06-14-2023, 03:51 PM

37,120 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Long story short.

Cholesterol is one the biggest medical scams/myths ever presented to the public.
Video is over an hour. Care to summarize it?

Old 06-15-2023, 07:25 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,483,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Video is over an hour. Care to summarize it?
It's kind of hard to summarize. They present a LOT of data.

I would suggest you watch the first 25 minutes, pause it, go back to it if you wish. It really is insightful.

Old 06-17-2023, 01:21 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,423,368 times
I didn't watch it. This guy specializes in something totally unrelated to cholesterol. He has no formal education in nutrition, beyond what all medical students receive. His specialty is neuroscience and his degree is in biology. He appears to be one of those whack-jobs who insist that actual science is wrong, with regards to a subject of which his expertise is lacking.

Sort of like me, who can hit a target at 40 yards with a recurve bow, trying to explain the complexity of a crossbow bolt. Yes, it's all archery. But being good with one, doesn't make you an expert with another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss