Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:35 PM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
If you are very careful to watch your portions (and really monitor what you eat - high protein/greens) during meals, I have no doubt that small, healthy snacks between meals can help to keep your metabolism going. But if you cheat a little at meals or indulge a little on the weekends..... you don't really need to have those extra snack calories in your diet. They don't keep your metabolism going, they only add on pounds. Or at least that's been my experience.
If you do not exceed you total calorie needs for your bodyweight at a sedentary level snacks and all its not a concern.

Eating more often is good for the metabolism and body. It keeps an even blood sugar and the required energy to digest means you are burning more calories on a whole.Also the body absorbs most nutrients in smaller doses better. I personally think its more the even blood sugar thing in my system but I have a family history of diabetes so I could be prone to issues.

Don't try to eat back workout cals unless you are already skinny. That can mess you up. Stick to BMR and higher to the appropriate amount. If you want to drop lower I suggest you zig zag your cals. I think even that 1200 thing can kill your metab a bit.

Calcium tip:
Your body can only take in 500 at a time. So if you take a 1000mg pill, cut it in half or you are wasting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 02:59 PM

17,455 posts, read 16,639,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
If you do not exceed you total calorie needs for your bodyweight at a sedentary level snacks and all its not a concern.

Eating more often is good for the metabolism and body. It keeps an even blood sugar and the required energy to digest means you are burning more calories on a whole.Also the body absorbs most nutrients in smaller doses better. I personally think its more the even blood sugar thing in my system but I have a family history of diabetes so I could be prone to issues.

Don't try to eat back workout cals unless you are already skinny. That can mess you up. Stick to BMR and higher to the appropriate amount. If you want to drop lower I suggest you zig zag your cals. I think even that 1200 thing can kill your metab a bit.

Calcium tip:
Your body can only take in 500 at a time. So if you take a 1000mg pill, cut it in half or you are wasting it.
I just don't have enough self control to eat all those little meals and snacks. I almost always blow it somewhere - usually on something stupid. I'm not trying to go super low cal, I did that at times when I was younger, I know that's not good...

When I get closer to my goal weight, I might try switching back to the frequent small meal approach. But, I'm still munching on raw veggies between meals, so I haven't totally stopped my snacking.

Thanks for the tip about calcium - I didn't know that! How do you zig zag your calories?

Last edited by springfieldva; 05-26-2010 at 03:13 PM..

Old 05-27-2010, 06:38 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,077,891 times
Quote:
If you are very careful to watch your portions (and really monitor what you eat - high protein/greens) during meals, I have no doubt that small, healthy snacks between meals can help to keep your metabolism going. But if you cheat a little at meals or indulge a little on the weekends..... you don't really need to have those extra snack calories in your diet. They don't keep your metabolism going, they only add on pounds. Or at least that's been my experience.

But the key phrase is...SMALL AND HEALTHY snacks. Those 100 calorie packs of Oreos are still Oreos. They aren't anything special, they aren't healthy, all they do is make you crave more sugar.

Old 05-27-2010, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
But the key phrase is...SMALL AND HEALTHY snacks. Those 100 calorie packs of Oreos are still Oreos. They aren't anything special, they aren't healthy, all they do is make you crave more sugar.

I was eating snacks like whole grain granola bars, unsalted nuts, trail mix, mozzarella sticks, pita with hummus in addition to my 3 meals a day. Nothing real junky.

I have lunch out on occasion and I make an effort to eat healthy when I do. But I started looking up some of the calorie content in those lunches and realized that if I also ate snacks on those days I could easily go over my calorie (and salt) allowance for the day.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:24 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,077,891 times
Quote:
I was eating snacks like whole grain granola bars, unsalted nuts, trail mix, mozzarella sticks, pita with hummus in addition to my 3 meals a day. Nothing real junky.

I have lunch out on occasion and I make an effort to eat healthy when I do. But I started looking up some of the calorie content in those lunches and realized that if I also ate snacks on those days I could easily go over my calorie (and salt) allowance for the day.

Yup.

If ppl use the Calorie King book and looked up their favorite meals and snacks, I think they'd be in for quite a shock.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:25 AM

8,410 posts, read 39,296,043 times
Quote:
I just don't have enough self control to eat all those little meals and snacks. I almost always blow it somewhere - usually on something stupid. I'm not trying to go super low cal, I did that at times when I was younger, I know that's not good...

When I get closer to my goal weight, I might try switching back to the frequent small meal approach. But, I'm still munching on raw veggies between meals, so I haven't totally stopped my snacking.

Thanks for the tip about calcium - I didn't know that! How do you zig zag your calories?
Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

The option is a link on the bottom of the calculator.

Eating more frequently does not always work great for everyone. So if its useless to you because it makes you overeat on the whole, just skip it and stick to the meals like normal. The raw veggie habit is a good thing as long as it does not include dip.

Old 05-31-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitt_transplant View Post
Calorie Calculator - Daily Caloric Needs

The option is a link on the bottom of the calculator.

Eating more frequently does not always work great for everyone. So if its useless to you because it makes you overeat on the whole, just skip it and stick to the meals like normal. The raw veggie habit is a good thing as long as it does not include dip.
That's a helpful calculator - easy to use, which I like.

My veggie snacks are raw and plain with nothing added - no dip, hummus, peanut butter, oil, salt, salad dressing, etc.

It's a great time of the year for fresh fruits and veggies, I'm really enjoying them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss