Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 09:21 PM

1,020 posts, read 2,532,108 times

Advertisements

I don't do cheat days that are planned. I'll have meals that are not considered "good for you," though, with portion control, because life sometimes makes it where you get home at 10 or 11 PM at night and have to grab something on the way home (had plenty of these nights). However, instead of saying "well, F it all! I'll get the tripple," I'll get a smaller burger/sandwich/etc. and small fries or side salad. Also, I do love rich foods, but again, I just portion it correctly. If I go to a restaurant and have a steak, I get the 7 oz, eat half, and get a side salad or a leafy green of some type, take the rest home for lunch. Sometimes I have pasta, pizza, chocolate. But instead of going crazy with it, I just portion it. It's worked great for me! I get to enjoy some of the simple pleasures of life while not going overboard. Most of the time, I eat whole grains, leafy greens, lean meats, etc.. But, the other stuff can be fitted in, too, while I still lose weight! Have been losing doing this and have not had the urge to binge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 07:45 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
Oh, I should add, if you do have a cheat meal/day, are you still able to maintain your weight loss or weight maintenance goals?
I'm able to do it as long as I watch what I eat (and exercise) during the rest of the week. I only get into trouble if I don't stick to my plan during the week.

I can see how a cheat day could derail a person off of their fitness plan but, for me, having a "day off" helps to keep me on track.

I'm losing a steady 2 pounds a week which is what I want to do.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:33 PM

196 posts, read 564,123 times
Cheat meal (not the whole day) is a wonderful idea for those who start weight loss. It is mentaly easier to hold on to your diet knowing that that you will get to have a hamburger (or whatever else you might crave). If one follows the diet plan for 6 days a week - 30 meals - why not treat yourself to something you love? It will just give a boost to one's metabolism - again ONLY if you follow meal plans for 30 meals. And the last argument would be the fact that a person who just started weight loss should have some reserve. By saying that I mean when you have last 2 pounds of fat that are accumulated around your waist you can stop cheat meals all together and that will break the plateau.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 PM

199 posts, read 591,668 times
Actually caught part of an episode of Man Vs. Food. I almost threw up. Some bozo is traveling throughout the country and basically stuffing as much garbage down his throat as possible until he barfs.

I think I have this "cheat meal" thing under control now.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:35 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,796,540 times
Check out Food Inc too.

Old 06-04-2010, 12:22 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,002 times
Also, you shouldn't be depriving yourself of so much that you crave "cheat foods." I'm pretty fit, and I eat pretty much whatever I want - it just so happens that what I want/crave is pretty healthy at this point, for the most part. However, when I was in the process of losing weight a year ago I watched EVERYTHING that I ate and journaled it (there's actually a good iPhone app for that, FYI). The idea of eating a "cheat" meal would be absurd because it would just hinder the progress I was making.

Old 06-04-2010, 05:37 AM

41,951 posts, read 75,167,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evesadam View Post
Actually caught part of an episode of Man Vs. Food. I almost threw up. Some bozo is traveling throughout the country and basically stuffing as much garbage down his throat as possible until he barfs.

I think I have this "cheat meal" thing under control now.
LOL -- whatever works!

Old 06-04-2010, 11:43 AM

199 posts, read 591,668 times
I've lost weight before where I didn't count calories and maintained that weight loss.

However, I had to remain physically active (which I am now of course) and the weight loss was slower: max 4 lbs. a month.

So, I am trying to up that amount to 6-8 lbs. a month, so I'm hoping calorie control will play a factor there.

Also, I am reading that healthier people throughout the world are eating a moderate amount of calories--although of course, your calorie count will have to go up if you are athletic. Which I am. Kinda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
Also, you shouldn't be depriving yourself of so much that you crave "cheat foods." I'm pretty fit, and I eat pretty much whatever I want - it just so happens that what I want/crave is pretty healthy at this point, for the most part. However, when I was in the process of losing weight a year ago I watched EVERYTHING that I ate and journaled it (there's actually a good iPhone app for that, FYI). The idea of eating a "cheat" meal would be absurd because it would just hinder the progress I was making.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:55 AM

17,362 posts, read 16,505,917 times
Quote:
I usually want/crave healthy foods, too. I'm not a junk food junky by any stretch of the imagination.

But I take Saturdays off. That doesn't mean I collapse, reach for the cheeze whiz and all my hard work goes out the window.

It just means that I relax a little bit on that day - if I eat a hamburger on a white bread bun, potato salad with too much mayo in it and have a piece of cake, well that's just fine. I can also have some wine on that day if I feel like it, which is also o.k. because I don't drink alcohol at all during the rest of the week.

I think the best rule of thumb is to do whatever works for you.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:55 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,951,122 times
Quote:
The idea of eating a "cheat" meal would be absurd because it would just hinder the progress I was making.
Well said. Here are a few rep points for you.

As I have already mentioned on this thread (and also mentioned by others), planned cheat meals are not a good idea and counter productive to establishing healthy eating habits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss