Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:51 PM

21 posts, read 40,288 times

Advertisements

You can't spot reduce.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:35 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,326,734 times
I feel your pain! lol...if you are like me, it's the first place I gain weight and the very LAST place that will lose weight, quite aggravating to say the least.

Walking, it took me a LOT of walking to tone my thighs and quite frankly, it wasn't until I added Zumba twice a week and weights (machines at the gym) specifically targeting my legs for about 6mos before I saw a difference. When my membership ran out and I went back to just walking...guess where I gained FIRST. UGGHHH! You guessed it!

Good luck to you! As I said, I feel your pain. People who don't have an issue there, just don't understand what we go thru. I like the Lipo idea! LOL

Old 07-17-2010, 02:04 PM

1,428 posts, read 2,311,829 times
I find that the best way to deal with the inner thigh area is to use the machine at the gym:

YouTube - Hip Adductor Video

And push out (abduction) to work on the hips.

This is the best method I've found for really trimming and toning the inner thighs.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:37 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,691,689 times
No exercise will trim an area. You can strengthen the muscle that is already there. The only way you can make an area bigger by lifting weights is if you take in more calories than you expend, thereby increasing muscle mass. No exercise or weight lifting will bulk you up, you need extra calories to do that. Muscle also takes up less volume than fat, so if you are reducing fat and putting on muscle, you will still be thinner overall.

Losing weight is the only way to reduce the size of something and it doesn't matter which exercise you do for that. Your body will decide which fat it will get rid of first and which it will cling onto for dear life.

Old 07-17-2010, 10:20 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,474,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningncircles1 View Post
Liposuction.
I second that!

Old 07-18-2010, 06:24 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,587,299 times
As much as those selling books and products would like to have you believe otherwise, there is no physical way to spot reduce. I know, I was crestfallen to learn this while studying for my personal trainer certificate in the late 90s. Every body is a unique combination of features -- including where the body decides to store the fat. Some get to store it in their breasts -- to our envy, until is starts sagging to their navels.

Then there's me, who stores it in their thighs.

HOWEVER, there are things you can do. As it turns out, scientists have discovered that the body often -- not always, but often, stores fat where your ancestors needed it most (and your genes took notice). Fat is the body's storehouse of energy, and it turns out that the muscles use the fat stored nearest before it goes elsewhere. So, if you work the muscles closest to the fat, you have a chance to whittle those deposits down.

I warn you, though, that what your body senses as working may be different than your thoughts. You might do all the thigh exercises you can identify, and while you feel your thighs are getting exhausted and should be burning the fat, your body sees a greater need to your lungs and rib muscles, so it consumes more of that breast fat than that thigh fat. I know -- unfair!

So, before your body starts working on that thigh fat, you have to build up the strength in your upper body. Bottom line: fitness is a full-body workout. You cannot escape it.

In closing, I caution you away from fat-free diets, as a means to reduce your fat deposits. Your body needs fat, protein, and carbohydrates, in moderate quantities, to operate. If you reduce your fat, the body will convert the other two macro-nutrients to fat, so just eat a well balanced diet -- with fewer "treats", unless your treats are vegetables.

Be well -- and love your whole body.

Old 07-20-2010, 10:31 AM

5 posts, read 9,149 times
How can I lose weight for less the time? I don't really have the time to squeeze it in.

Old 07-20-2010, 01:13 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,897,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookinForMayberry View Post
As it turns out, scientists have discovered that the body often -- not always, but often, stores fat where your ancestors needed it most
Whoa .....
Looking at most Americans, why did their ancestors needed it *there* ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss