Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 03:59 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,657,474 times

Advertisements

Seems whenever I get away from eating quasi-vegetarian (small amounts of pork/chicken on occasion, tuna and canned salmon more often. And beans, especially black beans) and again eat lots of pasta/pizza/baked sweet things, I balloon up quickly. Those empty white, sugary carbs do it every time!

So back to the complex carbs and veggies and lots of water I go again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 05:25 PM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,487 times
That is it for me too.

I blow up with bread, pasta, rice and I also feel so drained and tired if I eat a lot of carbs.

I do still eat carbs but in moderation.

I feel much better with chicken, lean meat, pork and I usually stick to broccoli or cauliflour for the vegs. There are a lot of carbs in carrots and beets (well not carbs but sugar which turn into carbs)

Good luck!

Old 05-03-2011, 06:28 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Sugar doesn't turn into carbs. I don't know where you're finding your information. Sugars ARE a form of carbohydrates. Fiber is another form of carbohydrate. Starch is the third of the main three types of carbohydrates.

Old 05-04-2011, 03:11 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,564,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Sugar doesn't turn into carbs. I don't know where you're finding your information. Sugars ARE a form of carbohydrates. Fiber is another form of carbohydrate. Starch is the third of the main three types of carbohydrates.
ok wrong I guess. well, then carrots and beets have a lot of sugars in them that is why I was told not to eat them by the diet doc

Old 05-04-2011, 05:48 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,770,834 times
Well since you didn't know that - not just didn't know, but actually believed something else that was false information, why not go back to the nutritionist and ask his advice.

No one here knows you, knows your body type, knows your health, knows your needs or the things you need to avoid, your fitness level, blood sugar level, etc. etc. This is stuff a doctor or nutritionist would know. But not just some doctor you read about on the internet, or a nutritionist's blog. I mean up close and personal, making an appointment, sitting down one-on-one for a physical examination and direct dialogue so that the doctor/nutritionist can determine what, EXACTLY, you need...and how, EXACTLY, to explain it to you so that you don't misunderstand the information.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:04 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
I have been on only one formal plan. Weight Watchers (well WW lite, so to speak - my wife is a member, I am not, I track according their approach, but dont attend meetings) When I started this past December, I was 159 or so (I am 5'6") and I am now about 139. My goal is 135 - but I might still consider losing another 5 if I have still have belly fat at that point.

Prior to that I tried losing weight informally, by eating more sensibly and being more active, but without tracking. Using that approach I got from the 180s to 165 but plateaued. When my wife got on WW, but before I started tracking, I went from 165 to 159, but plateaued again.

While its not for everyone, I would recommend anyone looking to lose weight at least consider WW.

Old 05-04-2011, 08:05 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,557,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I think there is some confusion because starches are converted into sugars (and sucrose into glucose)

Old 05-04-2011, 10:21 AM

2,296 posts, read 6,283,220 times
What works for me is a combo of paleo nutrition with lower to moderate carbs + ketogenic cycling plus light exercise & weight lifting. I draw from The Zone, Dukan Diet & Genotype Diet, advanced version of blood type. I eat similar/same meals frequently & in last 6 months have given up drinking wine at home. I just learned that red wine is an avoid for my genotype. I drink it once a week with a meal in public.

I think once you find a system/systems that work for you the key is to stick with it. I've also noticed in my own case the benefit of having a wider variety of protein choices. Having raw vegetables every day & limiting fruit also works well. For years I've eaten apples as my main fruit---"an apple a day"------but have tended to have an insulin response to them irregardless of anything. I learned on they're bad for my genotype & replaced them with grapefruit.

Old 05-04-2011, 11:30 PM

22,654 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Atkins without a doubt, really enjoy the food and many physical problems just about dissapear. Atkins is probably the most anti-inflammatory diet I have every eaten. But, like all things, the mental aspects are more taxing than the pysical....that goes for any diet.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:39 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,059,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon&lime View Post
What works for me is a combo of paleo nutrition with lower to moderate carbs + ketogenic cycling plus light exercise & weight lifting. I draw from The Zone, Dukan Diet & Genotype Diet, advanced version of blood type. I eat similar/same meals frequently & in last 6 months have given up drinking wine at home. I just learned that red wine is an avoid for my genotype. I drink it once a week with a meal in public.
Whoa, wait a minute. You claim to have been successfully dieting with various high protein diets for over a decade now but just now decided to quit drinking wine as it was bad for your genotype?

So one of two things is true here. Either you haven't having success on your diets or you just proved that your precious blood type/genotype diet is garbage, just like I've been telling you.

Which is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss