Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2010, 11:04 AM

533 posts, read 1,834,470 times

Advertisements

Just got off the phone with another trainer/behaviorist in my area. After describing Chase's separation anxiety, the guy tells me "Look, if you aren't too attached to this dog, I'd suggest returning him and get a new dog. There are lots of good dogs out there without this issue. You will be dealing with this for the next 12 years or so as it is very difficult to cure." Sorry, but that's NOT AN OPTION FOR ME!

I couldn't believe he said that. This is the advice of a dog loving expert? UGH. He also recommended a "dog box" since he will eventually hurt himself on the crate. These boxes are $500 plus and look horrendous and inhumane.

I will continue to try to desensitize him to the crate and our leaving. And I hate to do it, but I probably need to use the Xanax for his safety. I will do feedings in the crate now, to try to get him to like it better. And leave for little increments over and over. He gets neutered tomorrow and I feel like that will throw us off track for a bit and really, we NEED to be through with this before August, and I feel less and less confident that will happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2010, 12:04 PM

1,457 posts, read 4,055,578 times
That's messed up what he said! Isn't he supposed to help people with these problems? I'd have no animals if I had to give them back because there was something wrong with them.

Sorry I don't have any advice for you, but thanks for not giving up on Chase and giving him a chance! Good luck on his neuter tomorrow!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:06 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,816,509 times
If he suggested me to return my dog like a broken appliance and get another one, I would suggest him...

Old 07-07-2010, 12:45 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,424,911 times
If someone ever told me to get rid of my dog just because of his problems, I'd smack them back to last year. My dog's quirks make him the cute little punk he is!

I hate people today.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:51 PM

1,201 posts, read 4,541,207 times
I'd call another trainer. That is just ridiculous!

Old 07-07-2010, 01:00 PM

417 posts, read 1,068,388 times
Good for you for not giving up on Chase...if this "trainer" was a teacher, would he tell a parent to give their kid back and get a new one? That's ridiculous...just keep in mind that almost anyone can say they're a trainer/behaviorist..clearly this guy is no expert. Good luck with Chase...you're putting in a lot of work with him and I'm sure it will pay off!

Old 07-07-2010, 02:51 PM

3,749 posts, read 12,406,979 times
Sounds like you do have a handful with Chase. That trainer was way off base suggesting you pass your dog off rather than addressing and working through the problem. Have you tried using a kennel instead of a cage? He may feel more security with a little less "air" around him. Have you tried taking him for a power walk right before you are going to leave and then see how he does? (Maybe a trip to the grocery store or some place where you won't be gone too long) Have you tried leaving the TV or a radio going when you leave so he isn't left in silence? If you haven' tried any of the above, definately, give it a shot! I'm glad you are not giving up on him and I bet you will find the right combination that works for him!

Old 07-07-2010, 03:03 PM

533 posts, read 1,834,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Va-Cat View Post
Sounds like you do have a handful with Chase. That trainer was way off base suggesting you pass your dog off rather than addressing and working through the problem. Have you tried using a kennel instead of a cage? He may feel more security with a little less "air" around him. Have you tried taking him for a power walk right before you are going to leave and then see how he does? (Maybe a trip to the grocery store or some place where you won't be gone too long) Have you tried leaving the TV or a radio going when you leave so he isn't left in silence? If you haven' tried any of the above, definately, give it a shot! I'm glad you are not giving up on him and I bet you will find the right combination that works for him!
No, we've only tried the crate and gated in the kitchen, neither with success. Tried a sheet over the crate, too, but he just pulled it through and tore it up. Power walk mid-day here is hard, not gonna lie, it's almost 100 degrees and it's not healthy for either of us to be walking in that hot mess outside. We do early AM and evening PM walks. We leave the light classical channel on as background noise. Great suggestions though, we will keep trying what we've been doing in addition to new things we learn to try. Will likely work with a trainer soon to help us establish strong leadership, etc, which I'm hoping will help. We'll keep practicing crate time until then! Thanks.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:59 PM

1,587 posts, read 7,527,219 times
That trainer is a scam artist is all and not care about animals.

The TV/ radio is always good idea and better if talk radio or TV as human voices talking not singing. No Howard Sterns that would scare dog.

He see's kennel as a punishment of sorts as his master leaves when he is in.

Do the food and treats in kennel without closing up. Then treats and close up when in room and add more treats so he knows not always leave when in crate and gets treats when in there.

There is some natural herb liquids that are supposed to help calm when in kennel carriers and such many rescues use. I know they gave me some when made trip to Katrina and back from Wisconsin and worked great on one real nervous dog. He did not sleep but did lie down and when time to come out did so calmly also.

I know some lock in kennel walk outside for few minutes walk in let out and keep making longer trips so dog knows it is all ok and if this was a pound puppy who knows what being locked up means. Some are raised in pens and never get out and when do they want that freedom.

Some take longer than others. We had one katrina dog that was separation anxiety type and hated crate.. He was good outside but as you mentioned temps to great so cannot do that even in shade gets to warm unless area had mister to keep cooled down.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:12 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times
How long have you had this dog and how much obedience training have you done?

New dogs are unsure of your return, so they panic. Once he learns that you are coming back he will be better. This works so much better if you have a daily routine.

Also, if you have not spent time training, so he learns you are the boss, he may be afraid to let you leave - thinking he needs to be with you to protect you, so he panics.

Some dogs can never be crated. Does he destroy things if left out of the crate? If not, you might want to try leaving him out. Is he afraid of the crate itself? I used to throw pieces of lunchmeat in my dogs crate to get her to go in. Once she would go in without creeping in, I started closing the door and giving her a piece through the bars, then opening it for her. Eventually we got to the point she would go in for the meat, sit and wait while I fed her a piece every few minutes through the bars. Then I got her to go in with out a pieced of meat, but sit there and get pieces through the slats. Until finally I just tell her to go to bed and she runs in happily and turns and waits for her 1 piece that I still give to her to this day.

I have a dog with slight seperation anxiety. She was horrible the first week a had her. She cried and carried on like someone was in the house hacking off her limbs! I went to work in tears it was so bad. My neighbor - thank goodness she loved dogs - told me on the 3rd day that she quit after 30 minutes. By week 2 she stopped as soon as I was out of sight. Now she is fine - but I have to crate her or she will destroy my door trying to claw her way out to get to me. So he was right in saying it will be something you have to deal with forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs